DO Is it too late to apply for DO? 3.5 GPA, 521 MCAT, Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kikara

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently applied to MD schools but now am worried about my stats. I'm wondering if its not too late to apply to DO schools as well? I don't know much about DO schools (compared with MD) so haven't began my application yet but I don't care what kind of school I go to as long as I become a practicing physician.

Other than 3.5 GPA, 521 breakdown 130/128/131/132 and pretty standard ECs. However, low shadowing experience since it's pretty hard in Canada (and Canadian schools don't care). I've also heard that some DO schools require a DO reference letter but I only have an MD letter; is that ok?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

With that MCAT you could apply in January and still get a DO acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? That's a relief! Thanks for the replies :)

Awesome score! If you dont mind me asking, how did you study for the MCAT? I have the same GPA and I'm hoping to score well on the MCAT too.

Awesome score! If you dont mind me asking, how did you study for the MCAT? I have the same GPA and I'm hoping to score well on the MCAT too.

I took a course after scoring 33 from self study so I have my doubts on how much the course actually helped or if I just put in more work this time. One piece of advice is just do many many practice questions and learn WHY you got the questions wrong. Like did you reason wrong? Was it something you had memorized but forgot? Did you misread the question? That will help you pinpoint what you need to work on and your areas of weaknesses.

Reactions: 1 user
I took a course after scoring 33 from self study so I have my doubts on how much the course actually helped or if I just put in more work this time. One piece of advice is just do many many practice questions and learn WHY you got the questions wrong. Like did you reason wrong? Was it something you had memorized but forgot? Did you misread the question? That will help you pinpoint what you need to work on and your areas of weaknesses.

Thank you!! So you don't think a course would be beneficial?

Thank you!! So you don't think a course would be beneficial?

I can't deny it didn't help; the results speak for themselves. However, if you have financial problems and are choosing between a course like The Princeton Review and food for the next few months, then it is possible to do well without a course. If you have no problem shelling out $2000 by all means go ahead. If you want to talk about MCAT more PM me since this thread is a WAMC. I'm sure the folks in the MCAT forum can help

Reactions: 1 user