Is it too late to apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a12899

Reaction score
I've been recently considered podiatry but am a bit late to the show as I had my mind completely set on MD/DO school for awhile. Honestly, I never really knew much about podiatry but once I started to learn more about it, I'm really interested. My cgpa/sgpa is 3.78/3.62 and I have an MCAT of 501. I have a ton of healthcare experience (upwards of 3000 hours throughout college) and some volunteering (~150 non-clinical) but the issue is that I have not had the opportunity to shadow a podiatrist. Especially now with the pandemic, I'm not sure how I'll be able to gain much experience to really showcase my interest. I have my reasons why podiatry is a field I would like to go into, but I can understand how that isn't very convincing without shadowing. Is it possible to apply without experience if I have a solid personal statement, a genuine interest (not just a backup plan from medschool), and with my stats? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely not too late to apply. Shadowing will likely be tough with the pandemic, but schools will probably understand this. Your stats are just fine for DO, so if your mind is still set on that you can definitely get in.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been recently considered podiatry but am a bit late to the show as I had my mind completely set on MD/DO school for awhile. Honestly, I never really knew much about podiatry but once I started to learn more about it, I'm really interested. My cgpa/sgpa is 3.78/3.62 and I have an MCAT of 501. I have a ton of healthcare experience (upwards of 3000 hours throughout college) and some volunteering (~150 non-clinical) but the issue is that I have not had the opportunity to shadow a podiatrist. Especially now with the pandemic, I'm not sure how I'll be able to gain much experience to really showcase my interest. I have my reasons why podiatry is a field I would like to go into, but I can understand how that isn't very convincing without shadowing. Is it possible to apply without experience if I have a solid personal statement, a genuine interest (not just a backup plan from medschool), and with my stats? Thank you!

If you're around a school, then contact them directly for shadowing opportunities.
The deadline is June 30th; you got time and the stats for it. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I applied literally last week of January and it was fine. A lot of the people I talked to say up to March is okk but after that it's pushing it

As far as shadowing, some schools have waivers currently. Other than that, keep calling calling calling. Ask people around you if they have podiatry connections. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Not later for this pod cycle at all.
But may too early to give up your MD/DO path.
Shadow DPMs gain first hand information before you start this journey may help you a lots.

Good luck.