Is it too late???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acromonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that for MD applications, October is late. Is it too late to start a DO application???

Members don't see this ad.

I know that for MD applications, October is late. Is it too late to start a DO application???

The basic answer is yes, unless your stats are amazing. So what are your stats?

"Do not fear an army of lions led by a sheep, instead fear an army of sheep led by a lion."

:D :cool: AZCOM c/o 2017 :cool: :D

It's way too late for top tier schools and for Mid-tier you'll be competing mainly for wait-list spots. Low tier you might be able to get a high position on their waitlist if your stats are good enough. But generally speaking the app season is over by Nov when you'll be complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
sGPA 3.7, cGPA 3.7, 26 MCAT, Master's in biotechnology from Columbia and currently working full time in research, Have a few publications...where can you get information regarding which schools are top tier, mid tier, low tier???

sGPA 3.7, cGPA 3.7, 26 MCAT, Master's in biotechnology from Columbia and currently working full time in research, Have a few publications...where can you get information regarding which schools are top tier, mid tier, low tier???

Well you've got to ask yourself now, do I need to go to med school next year? Do I have enough money to spend on applications that may potentially not work out ( Flights for Interviews + Secondaries = a few grand)? And whether or not I want to attend your non-top choice DO school and etc.
Either way, you might get accepted if you apply broadly.

I do have to start next year. I am debating on Carib MD or DO. I like the DO philosophy but (I am ashamed to say), I've always put it aside because it's not an MD and I hear the limitations of DO degrees and I'm always explaining to others what it is. So I think that's what has held me back. I've decided that its' not important to me anymore. I just want to be a doctor. Do you think the schools in NY/NJ are feasible? I have never seen information on the "tiers" of DO schools, so I'm not sure which are top, middle, and lower tier

I do have to start next year. I am debating on Carib MD or DO. I like the DO philosophy but (I am ashamed to say), I've always put it aside because it's not an MD and I hear the limitations of DO degrees and I'm always explaining to others what it is. So I think that's what has held me back. I've decided that its' not important to me anymore. I just want to be a doctor. Do you think the schools in NY/NJ are feasible? I have never seen information on the "tiers" of DO schools, so I'm not sure which are top, middle, and lower tier

The limitation and real stigma of a Carib MD degree is by far more serious than that of a US DO degree. Simply put going Carib MD will not only limit your chances of getting into a decent residency, it will limit your chances of getting into ANY residency.

Either way, with your stats and with this timing it is unlikely you'll get admitted to either NYCOM or UMDNJ-SOM, Touro-NY in New York might accept you but it's unlikely. Anyway given the fact that you've done minimal research on DO schools and want to stay in a particular area, I think that you genuinely shouldn't apply this cycle. I think that you should apply next year, maybe retake the Mcat and add on a few USMD schools as well.

I'm currently applying MD right now. I have retaken the MCAT a few times. I can't beat it for some reason. I'm looking into test taking deficiencies with my boss right now. I don't have to stay in a certain area, I just was wondering because that's my preferred area. I appreciate your help and advice. You are correct, I haven't done as much research on DO schools individually, just basically on the differences in degrees, residencies, etc. I appreciate the information you have provided.

Why is matriculating in 2013 a must for you?

It's better to go DO than carib...It a little late but you can throw a hail mary to some mid-to-low tier schools (whatever that means for DO schools) and see what happen. I still think you have a fair shot with your stats if you ECs are solid.

Last edited:
Same question as OP
I applied to a lot of MD schools in July, but now I'm finding that the DO approach to medicine is really appealing.

I was hoping to apply to Kansas, Des Moines, Oklahoma, and LECOM (PA) with these stats:
28O, 3.8

From what everyone has been saying, I'm surprised to learn that you believe its too late. Why then are most of the deadlines are December onwards :confused:

Thanks

Why then are most of the deadlines are December onwards :confused:

Thanks

The same reason some MD schools have deadlines as late as November. It doesn't mean you apply as late as you can.

It's best to have your primary application (DO/MD) in no later than the end of August (or even July). The application process is basically the same.

I've always put it aside because it's not an MD and I hear the limitations of DO degrees and I'm always explaining to others what it is.

yea, don't apply...you probably haven't even shadowed a DO, so that doesn't help

Last edited: