Is it true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBRGrl

CSU PVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Do you guys know...is it true that CSU is no longer doing interviews this year for either IS or OOS applicants...?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally have no idea, but just ask Dr. Stewart at the workshop this week, I'm sure she'd be happy to let you know!

From what I've heard, and it's also listed on their supp, they aren't doing interviews for IS or WICHE this year. I'm not sure about OOS though.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard, and it's also listed on their supp, they aren't doing interviews for IS or WICHE this year. I'm not sure about OOS though.

Wow, that just seems so weird.

If anybody happens to ask Dr. Stewart I would be interested in the reasoning for not interviewing.

If it is true, I think it's absolutely ridiculous. They talk so much about the "holistic" approach they take to accepting applicants...about how they don't accept people solely on grades and they look at the whole person...etc. How can that be true if they're not willing to meet people face to face?...hmmm

There has been research showing that interviews are ineffective at reaching that holistic goal. The abstracts are actually in PubMed.

There has been research showing that interviews are ineffective at reaching that holistic goal. The abstracts are actually in PubMed.

Ill have to look into that. Just seems to me that it's easier to get a feel for someone in person, rather than just looking at grades and reading a personal statement the applicant could have had someone else write. I mean, I wouldn't hire someone without meeting them first...Im just curious what the adcom's reasoning is behind the sudden change. If anyone goes to the app workshop and asks Dr. Stewart, I'd be really interested to see what she says.

If it is true, I think it's absolutely ridiculous. They talk so much about the "holistic" approach they take to accepting applicants...about how they don't accept people solely on grades and they look at the whole person...etc. How can that be true if they're not willing to meet people face to face?...hmmm

I thought it was strange that they interviewed IS but not OOS. Kind of makes you wonder how important they think the interview is.

I'll see what I can pick up at the workshop tomorrow... as of this moment, I think I am still going. But I just got home from my evening anatomy class and am freaking out a bit about our first test which is Wednesday. Since I will be working all day and then spending the evening driving to and from Ft. Collins tomorrow, not sure when all the studying is going to fit in. Grrr... need more hours in the day! Or maybe I need to stop reading messages and get cracking right now!

I'm not sure how I feel about the lack of interviews... part of me was thinking if I could just make it to the interview I'd be able to impress them to the point of getting in, but part of me worries about totally messing up the interview and blowing any chance I might have had! I hope my diverse experiences in life (not so much in the veterinary field) will speak to them on paper!

I'll see what I can pick up at the workshop tomorrow... as of this moment, I think I am still going. But I just got home from my evening anatomy class and am freaking out a bit about our first test which is Wednesday. Since I will be working all day and then spending the evening driving to and from Ft. Collins tomorrow, not sure when all the studying is going to fit in. Grrr... need more hours in the day! Or maybe I need to stop reading messages and get cracking right now!

I'm not sure how I feel about the lack of interviews... part of me was thinking if I could just make it to the interview I'd be able to impress them to the point of getting in, but part of me worries about totally messing up the interview and blowing any chance I might have had! I hope my diverse experiences in life (not so much in the veterinary field) will speak to them on paper!

Good luck on the anatomy test, those can be a bear! Are taking Frasier? Keep us posted if you go to the workshop, I'm almost thinking about going now just because I'm curious.

I could be wrong on this, but last year they only interviewed IS, not WICHE or OOS. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same this year. And as far as the negative sentiments about not interviewing and the holistic approach, well... there is a very lengthy experience column on VMCAS, and I'm pretty sure that it's a BIG chunk in the evaluation process. My class is insanely diverse, and nearly half of us didn't interview. I don't think it has anything to do with finding a holistic group of people. Some people interview really well and end up being shmucks, and vice versa.

I met with a member of the admissions committee at CSU for my file review this summer and they let me know that there are eliminating the interview from the admissions process (this includes in state people).

I met with a member of the admissions committee at CSU for my file review this summer and they let me know that there are eliminating the interview from the admissions process (this includes in state people).

Did they happen to tell you their reasoning behind the decision?