Medical Is it worth applying to neurosurgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I have not been on here for a while (grinding out the years of medical school) but have returned to seek some advice on if you think I could match into neurosurgery or not. I am currently an MS3 at a top100 medical school, and went into my clinical rotations with the attitude that I would explore every rotation and see what has interested me the most to help me decide what to apply to for residency. Throughout the course of my rotations, I really fell in love with everything about neurosurgery (experienced on my neurology rotation and spent multiple days outside the rotation with the attending physicians and talked about a lot of the aspects of life as a neurosurgeon). My problem is just that though, I feel as if this is one of the specialties where you need your mind made up coming into medical school so that you can dazzle the program directors with plenty of research and publications, etc. I have hopped on to a few research projects since coming to this realization and have some publications currently in the review process, but not much. The other downside is that I do not have a home program. I'll provide some of my statistics and such, and would be extremely thankful for some advice, and if you need more information I could provide my CV through inbox with my personal and identifying details removed.

My major strength is my communication ability, I get along really well with everyone and do well with making interviews more conversational, so that may be one of my only selling points. But thank you again to anyone willing to help me figure this out.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

At my school, we recommend that students interested in NS engage in a productive year of NS research (in addition to whatever they may have accomplished during the usual four years). We have matched every one of them.

Reactions: 1 user
At my school, we recommend that students interested in NS engage in a productive year of NS research (in addition to whatever they may have accomplished during the usual four years). We have matched every one of them.
Same at my institution, NS candidates seem to usually take gap years. Many have PhDs as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.