Is it worth it to double-major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hydraphoenix15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick Question! How much weight would it pull for medical school admissions if you double majored in Biology and Chemistry? Or does it not matter at all because you're still taking science classes. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick Question! How much weight would it pull for medical school admissions if you double majored in Biology and Chemistry? Or does it not matter at all because you're still taking science classes. Thanks.

Not worth it.

Edit: I'm also moving this to the Pre-Allo main forum.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I would only double-major in bio and chem if you want to. If your primary goal in double-majoring is to impress medical school admissions officers, you'd probably be best off sticking to one major and just taking additional classes in the other field. The plus side of this is you don't necessarily have to take some of the required courses in the major that might be difficult (such as physical chemistry... which is fun, but very hard!) and can concentrate on taking the courses that you can do well in.

On the other hand, if you double-major in bio or chem and a non-science field, I think that might help you stand out a bit.

What I've been told is they don't care. I think it would be an exception if your second major (or minor) was a language useful in the medical community (like Spanish, maybe Mandarin) or a field of study that required you to study one of those languages (Latin American Studies, etc). Some schools also like to see or even require social sciences coursework so a second major in psychology or sociology might be helpful there (but probably not much more helpful than taking plenty of classes but not doing a major). As far as Chemistry and Bio, once you've majored in one you've shown that you can handle upper-level science coursework so I don't think doing both would matter so much.

I think that most people, given the pre-med requirements, are close to double degrees in biology/chem if they're already bio majors. I'm sure medical schools recognize that as well. At my school, after gen chem and organic you're only 4 classes from a chem BA.

After I took biochem 1/2 and biomolecular modeling (all bio/chem electives) I only had two core chem BA classes left. But ask yourself, whats the point? The two classes left for me were P-chem and analytical; two subjects that I believe have no relevance to med school. And they're tough classes to boot. No thanks. I'm a firmer believer in not wasting time/money taking needless classes. I'm also 1 class from an econ minor (from when I was an econ major) but again having a slip of paper that says I completed an econ minor/chem double major doesn't mean much to me.

I've chosen to fill that time doing a combined BS/MS in biology.

thye dont care what ur major is, so why would they care if u have 2 majors...

besides, if u double major and ur LOR are average quality, adcoms will think that even after taking so many sci classes, u weren't able to get outstanding LOR's (no saying u wont be able to)

There is no added weight to a double major. A breadth of classes with a single major is required. Double major to quench your motivation, but don't think it'll give you a leg up.

To add on to this thread....what about minors?

waste of time if you are doing it to impress med schools, chances are you will only overworked and not do as well. I would say that if you are interested in learning another language and you want to minor in that, id say thats a wonderful idea. Especially if that is spanish and you are interested in cali schools. They look upon that very well.

I wish it was worth it! I was a confuzzled lil' boy in my undergrad and now I graduated with two majors and two minors

Personally, I think that double majoring, if your second major is outside of biology/chemistry/biochemistry etc, can add another level of depth to your profile and show that you have other interests besides raw science. Of course, you should only do this if you actually have a legitimate interest in that other field, not just because you think "it will look good."

I found double majoring in biology and economics not only to be intellectually rewarding, but also gave me other things to talk about and voice my interest in, both in essays and interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, is it in any way beneficial to have a BS in Biological Sciences with a minor in Philosophy?

If you find it rewarding to take philosophy classes, then yes, it is beneficial. Will schools care? Probably not. They aren't likely to care about my science/social science double major either, but I'm not doing it for them.

How do med schools look at taking heavy course loads? If they consider taking a semester of mostly 400 level courses with say one 300 level course, then a double major could be beneficial in that regard because you need a heavy courseload for a double major.

They don't care. For the most part, the only thing they care about is GPA.

How do med schools look at taking heavy course loads? If they consider taking a semester of mostly 400 level courses with say one 300 level course, then a double major could be beneficial in that regard because you need a heavy courseload for a double major.

There's really no justifying a lower GPA with a "heavier course load" if that's what you're implying. It doesn't matter if you're double majoring or not.

Otherwise, heavy course load/regular course load doesn't matter.

Three factors matter. Mcat, Gpa, and Ec's. Maximize these three factors.

What about if your undergrad gpa was low so doing another major could up ur gpa by taking more science classes while doing very well of course?

What about if your undergrad gpa was low so doing another major could up ur gpa by taking more science classes while doing very well of course?

Yes, but it's nowhere near as good a results as you would get by getting an A the first time. It's not fair how it works (why did they count an F I got in a pathetically easy freshman course over an A in p-chem?) but it does work that way.

Yes, but it's nowhere near as good a results as you would get by getting an A the first time. It's not fair how it works (why did they count an F I got in a pathetically easy freshman course over an A in p-chem?) but it does work that way.
I mean, some people do not have a lot of choice in it though, right? Its either you take more classes so you would probably get another degree or maybe interested in other subjects anyway, so it is beneficial. A master degree will not help much as undergraduate academics. Postbacc or a last resort program is the last thing u want to do because it is your last shot.

There's really no justifying a lower GPA with a "heavier course load" if that's what you're implying. It doesn't matter if you're double majoring or not.

Otherwise, heavy course load/regular course load doesn't matter.

That wasn't really what I was implying. I was more asking about the emphasis on heavy course load vs regular courseload, which you say doesn't really matter. I, however, have trouble believing that. Don't medical schools look at our transcripts, and thus they can tell what classes each person got their grades in? This way some one with say a 4.0 and a bunch of upper division sciences is a stronger applicant than some one with a 4.0 science GPA in only the minimum sciences, right?

That wasn't really what I was implying. I was more asking about the emphasis on heavy course load vs regular courseload, which you say doesn't really matter. I, however, have trouble believing that. Don't medical schools look at our transcripts, and thus they can tell what classes each person got their grades in? This way some one with say a 4.0 and a bunch of upper division sciences is a stronger applicant than some one with a 4.0 science GPA in only the minimum sciences, right?

Medical schools get between 3,000->20,000 applications. So no, they often don't look. Even if they do, excuses are not what gets someone into med school.

These things don't stand out too strongly on the AMCAS application. Somone would have to look rather carefully to make out how many courses you took in a particular semester/quarter, and getting an A in two courses over one semester would probably look better than getting all B's in five courses. You do write what semester/quarter you take a course in, but on the AMCAS application they aren't separated by a break like on a transcript, so it just doesn't stand out.

With all of the applications they receive, and given the size/length of the AMCAS application, I would imagine most adcoms focus in on your GPA/MCAT, personal statement, EC's, and interesting courses/courses.

Case in point: most of the post-bacs in my program took two courses at a time (bio and chem one year, then physics and o-chem the next). Yet, about 85% are accepted to medical schools, with a sizeable portion going to the UC's (especially UCSF). Not only are they taking a "low" courseload, but they're also taking lower-div courses.

It's not worth it at all. I double majored in two unrelated fields hoping that it would make me more well rounded as a person and better prepared for a career in medicine. While I believe this to be true, Adcoms couldn't care less. I got the impression at interviews that the only things that matter are your publications. So spend the time you would've spent double majoring, trying to get your name in Nature or Science.

no school gets 20,000

Just an estimate : Rosalind Franklin, which is many folk's "safety" school, gets 10k apps. I was guessing that one of the big elite institutions like Harvard or Hopkins might receive a full 20k.

Just looked it up : Harvard gets a surprisingly low number of apps. I guess the folks who can get into Harvard know who they are...I certainly didn't waste money on an app there...

Just an estimate : Rosalind Franklin, which is many folk's "safety" school, gets 10k apps. I was guessing that one of the big elite institutions like Harvard or Hopkins might receive a full 20k.

Just looked it up : Harvard gets a surprisingly low number of apps. I guess the folks who can get into Harvard know who they are...I certainly didn't waste money on an app there...

I think drexel and GW get the max applications, somewhere in the 12-13K range.

As others have pointed out, the most important thing to realize about medical school admissions is that it makes NO sense. In this system a psychology majory with a 3.7 beats a double major in particle physics and aerospace engineering with a 3.5. Your GPA will be equally affected by a 3 credit class in quantum physics and the 3 credit class in 'the principles of basketball'. You can take 20 credits a semester while working full time and raising a family of four or 5 credits a semester with the live in tutor your parents bought you, but they will treat your GPA exactly the same either way. If you have a death in the family, personal medical problems, or if you've been stuck by lightning it will not be an excuse in any way.

If your one and only goal is medical school, the trick is to adapt to this situation rather than fighting it. Either skip the double major, or (if you're really interested in both) plan on staying enough extra semesters that you don't need to increase the number of credits you're taking at a given time. If you fight the system and go for the too many credit a semester dual major in Chem and Mechanical Engineering (as I did) you will end up scrambling to improve your awful GPA after you graduate and get rejected by every school out there.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Well said, Perrot. It's not that complex a game to play optimally, but you do need to understand the rules. Sometimes I want to hit on 20 in blackjack because I just know the dealer's got a few aces, but that isn't playing by the game's rules. Nor is doing anything that lowers your GPA, no matter how honorable an effort, how much hard work, or how smart it proves you are.

If you take 22 hours a semester at MIT and manage to pull all Bs and one A in quantum physics, particle physics, differential equations, and run a particle accelerator lab in your spare time...too bad. That 3.2 doesn't look good next to a business major with a 4.0 who takes various principles of management classes and one pre-med science course a semester.

Don't double major unless it is what you want to do. The adcoms will only care what your GPA is and how you used your free time (like for ECs). The double major may help you better prepare for the MCAT, but what little edge it will offer is not worth the pain of double majoring. Just my thoughts

I guess all the preceding posts make mine redundant, but yeah, double major only if you really want to double major. The consensus is that having twin BSs, or a BA/BS, or whatever the letters, will have only a negligible impact on your application.

I am sitting on a waitlist right now, and if I don't get in, there's a good chance I'll be picking up a hard science BS to go with my current soft science BA. My MCAT was more an issue than my GPA, so I know where I need to improve most, but it's simply something I want to do. My circumstances are such that it would take just over two semesters to complete -- not terribly much in my mind.

It is my opinion that, since I didn't take courses like genetics and microbiology as an undergrad, a double major might be a tad more useful to me than it may be for others when it comes to admission chances since it would entail courses like that (and others).

As long as you take the prereqs (6 credits of bio, chem, physics, calc, etc) they are happy... think of it this way, they are going to teach you all the science you are ever going to need to know anyways... some of my favorite conversations i have had with admissions faculty is on the subject of applications that stick out in their mind as some of their favorites... it is surprising, but i have found that a lot of admissions personal are thrilled to see the atypical music major, english major, history major, etc who also took the the prereqs for med school, and did well on the mcat... for several reasons, they find these candidates extremely desirable... in retrospect, i wish i had studied music before pursuing medical school!!!

I guess all the preceding posts make mine redundant, but yeah, double major only if you really want to double major.

Heck, I don't even think that's the consuses. My view is 'don't double major'. Or at the very least 'don't double major unless you're willing to stay an extra year to do it, so that you never go over 15 credits/semester'.

Personally I would only double-major in bio and chem if you want to. ... On the other hand, if you double-major in bio or chem and a non-science field, I think that might help you stand out a bit.

Personally, I think that double majoring, if your second major is outside of biology/chemistry/biochemistry etc, can add another level of depth to your profile and show that you have other interests besides raw science. Of course, you should only do this if you actually have a legitimate interest in that other field...

They aren't likely to care about my science/social science double major either, but I'm not doing it for them.

Don't double major unless it is what you want to do.

Well, maybe not the consensus, but all of that is basically my $0.02 on the matter. I guess I should say that circumstances permitting, and provided no classes are spectacularly blown in the process, it can only help -- either for that minuscule-to-nonexistent "edge" or because you want to do it for yourself if dual degrees are what you really want.

(Myself, I would do a master's degree if I were convinced I had the time and were at an institution which would not absolutely require a chunk of coursework about which I don't give a damn, as in toxicology vs. ecology for a biology MS.)

Heck, I don't even think that's the consuses. My view is 'don't double major'. Or at the very least 'don't double major unless you're willing to stay an extra year to do it, so that you never go over 15 credits/semester'.

Good point. My 18 credit hour semester freshman year has my back against the wall from there on out.

I can't say that if a medical school saw that you pulled straight A's with 18-19 credit hours in a semester, with the majority being sciences, that they wouldn't be impressed. I am double majoring in biology and chemistry simply because I love both. Any other reason less than that would still be acceptable by some standards, but you'll end up doing a ton more work with a little bit less personal satisfaction. Just my opinion, though.

I can't say that if a medical school saw that you pulled straight A's with 18-19 credit hours in a semester, with the majority being sciences, that they wouldn't be impressed.

Possibly. However, by choosing to sign up for the 18-19 credits, you're increasing the risk you take. It's much more likely you'll screw up if you have less time to devote to each class. After all, you might simply become burned out on science courses and jumping through hoops the professor assigns and screw up that way.

You don't have to take these risks. You can take only the easy science courses to get into medical school, you never have to take more than 1-2 upper level ones. A top medical school will take you just the same, if you make the grades.

Double-majoring strictly to accomplish the feat of double-majoring? NO. This will prove to be a waste of your time and efforts that could be devoted elsewhere.

BUT, if you are truly interested in two majors, by all means do it!

I agree with the others that they don't look that closely at the transcript. After all, they can't be experts at the course catalog of every school in the country. Not all schools have the same numbering system, and even if they did, I know I've taken some hard intro courses and some easy upper division courses.

Also, someone who did the "minimum sciences" might have taken some awesome, relevant and/or interesting classes. The hardcore scientist in your example might be less adept at learning in different ways. So your suggestion might be true for some schools but I don't think it's obvious or a given or true everywhere.

You don't have to take these risks. You can take only the easy science courses to get into medical school, you never have to take more than 1-2 upper level ones. A top medical school will take you just the same, if you make the grades.

So apparently we all should have majored in physical education or underwater basketweaving and taken evolutionary bio for the upper level science requirement. Why didn't I find this info 4 years ago?!>

So apparently we all should have majored in physical education or underwater basketweaving and taken evolutionary bio for the upper level science requirement. Why didn't I find this info 4 years ago?!>

I didn't make the rules. If you had a 4.0 in P.E. and a good MCAT, yeah, I think you'd find it pretty straightforward to get into med school. Lame? Yes, but it does appear to be how the rules work.

I didn't make the rules. If you had a 4.0 in P.E. and a good MCAT, yeah, I think you'd find it pretty straightforward to get into med school. Lame? Yes, but it does appear to be how the rules work.

Ok. Just to be clear, there is a difference between just scraping by and actually being competitive in the applicant pool. And all things being equal, the 4.0 communications major is lower in the ranks than the 4.0 biochem major.

Ok. Just to be clear, there is a difference between just scraping by and actually being competitive in the applicant pool. And all things being equal, the 4.0 communications major is lower in the ranks than the 4.0 biochem major.

maybe. I've seen statements by medical schools that state they are looking for "more diverse" applicants. I bet the 4.0 comm major would beat the 3.8 biochem major. And yes, a 3.8 in biochem is MUCH harder to get than a 4.0 in comm.

Yes, its stupidly unfair, but it appears to be how the rules work.