Is It Worth It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Renaissance_Man

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want a dose of reality rather than a dose of faith. By the time I am done with my PhD in Psychology, I'll be either 40 or 41 years old. Would it be worth it from a career and financial standpoint? What are the odds that I will find a job at that age when I am done with school?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see the age thing as that big of a barrier. I see older individuals starting out somewhat frequently. Don't know your financial standpoint, so hard to give advice there. That'd be a big consideration for me. Last, does it make you happy? 20-ish years of work doing something you love beats 30-ish years of something you hate.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see the age thing as that big of a barrier. I see older individuals starting out somewhat frequently. Don't know your financial standpoint, so hard to give advice there. That'd be a big consideration for me. Last, does it make you happy? 20-ish years of work doing something you love beats 30-ish years of something you hate.
That's where I am at. The financial side is making me reconsider my major. It's a possibility by the time I am done with school; I might have a debt of 80k-120k. It might well be less than that, and I would certainly hope so. The debt pushes me away a bit, but my love pushes me back. Somewhat torn. Somewhat indecisive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, yeah, that would be a major drawback for me. I only recommend the fully funded grad school route. Especially if it's a later in life thing. Paying loans off until retirement is not a sound financial strategy, especially with social security likely to face continued cuts.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, yeah, that would be a major drawback for me. I only recommend the fully funded grad school route. Especially if it's a later in life thing. Paying loans off until retirement is not a sound financial strategy, especially with social security likely to face continued cuts.
This is the real reality that scares me a bit. :( And I know fully funded grad school is highly competitive.