Is it worth learning more than one language?

Logic101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So hello again ^_^
Just a quick question... I like languages because they allow me to communicate with so many different people.
Anyways, I would like to learn as many languages as possible before I finish college. But I keep wondering if learning them are worth it. So a question to all those multi-lingual doctors out there: Do your language abilities help you communicate with patients more effectively?
Thanks!
LOGIC101
By the way, I can speak Mandarin Chinese, and I'm learning Spanish. May want to consider German, French, Japanese, and Russian.

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you are very proficient in them... I enjoy learning languages too. However, keep in mind it's much better to be very fluent in one or two additional languages than many... :)

Reactions: 1 user
So hello again ^_^
Just a quick question... I like languages because they allow me to communicate with so many different people.
Anyways, I would like to learn as many languages as possible before I finish college. But I keep wondering if learning them are worth it. So a question to all those multi-lingual doctors out there: Do your language abilities help you communicate with patients more effectively?
Thanks!
LOGIC101
By the way, I can speak Mandarin Chinese, and I'm learning Spanish. May want to consider German, French, Japanese, and Russian.

In medicine, there are almost always interpreters and translator phones, but those can be frustrating and time-intensive so knowing another language can be very helpful depending on where you want to practice.

Spanish is probably most useful, especially since most residents work in low-income clinics where there tend to be large Spanish-speaking populations. Many hospitals offer classes in medical Spanish to teach you relevant terminology and will certify you as an official Spanish interpreter if you are fluent. As for other languages, if you want to do international work, French will help you significantly for any travel to Africa. Arabic would also be a good choice and it's one of the languages that I see most frequently at the hospital. German, Japanese, and Russian are less useful unless you end up in a city with a large immigrant population from one of those areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow chinese here. Honestly I would stick to spanish since it is the most useful one. Keep up your mandarin as well. Focus your efforts in making sure you do well in your classes and SAT.

So hello again ^_^
Thanks!
LOGIC101

There is some value to being fluent in a regionally popular language as a doctor. In many parts of the US you will be able to use Spanish regularly. There are pockets of other languages, but none as prevalent. But I don't know that you should study something you aren't per se interested in just because it someday might be "useful". Do you actually enjoy studying X? Then sure, do it. Are you hoping it will make you a more valuable doctor? Nah, I wouldn't bother.

Things like Spanish, business, basic legal studies, statistics, are all things that at times might be useful in a medical career, but whether you should take such classes over something you'll enjoy more, like Art History or Underwater Basket-Weaving is pretty questionable. You'll probably forget it by the time you need it, and there will always be translators, accountants, etc to help you down the road.

Med school in Canada: French
Med school in America: Spanish
Med school In Great Britain: Okay, learn every language there is.