Is it worth taking a sociology class for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1136042

Should I take a sociology class to prepare for the MCAT? Or is self studying the content extremely doable?

I don't need sociology to graduate/ declare my major, so it does kind of seem like a waste of a class slot in exchange for unnecessary work

Members don't see this ad.

I am not an expert, but I did not take sociology before taking the MCAT, and I was satisfied with my performance on the P/S section. I think that self-studying is certainly possible, and the only resources I paid for were from AAMC.

Self studying the content is doable and you do not need to take a sociology class to do exceptionally well in that section.

Members don't see this ad :)
How broad is the content on the MCAT for sociology? Did you find yourself needing to spend more than a week to learn all the applicable topics related to sociology, assuming you scored 131+ on P/S

I scored a 131 on the Psych/Soc section of the MCAT. I took a sociology class in college and the MCAT a couple of years later. It didn't help. If anything, the concepts tested on the MCAT are very cut and dry and taking a sociology class might make it worse. Right now, as I am preparing for USMLE Step 2, it's the same thing where I am trying to separate what's true in clinic versus on board exams.

Reactions: 2 users
How broad is the content on the MCAT for sociology? Did you find yourself needing to spend more than a week to learn all the applicable topics related to sociology, assuming you scored 131+ on P/S
P/S is the most easily self-prepared topic on the MCAT. I did not take a sociology class and I did just fine. You aren't really going to do well in any section if you only prepare for a week. Also, ymmv but I wouldn't say I "learned" psych/soc as much as I just memorized a bunch of terms and understood how to apply them. The concepts in P/S aren't really difficult, it's just that there are so many and they can sometimes include a bunch of things you need to know (an example being Erikson's stages have 8 age ranges you need to know, Piaget's stages have 4, etc). Outside of knowing a plethora of various vocabulary terms, you need to be able to read graphs/studies and determine what's going on.

TLDR: you won't do well with a week of studying but if you just include anki/practice questions in your prep you will be fine on P/S.

Last edited:
I took sociology but I honestly did not remember most of it when I studied for the MCAT. I self-studied to a 132 on P/S so if it is going to be an inconvenience to take this class I recommend just skipping it and using your time elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Take the class only if it is required as a prerequisite or recommended course for schools on your wishlist. Preparing for the MCAT requires resources to help you with higher-yield material that a course may cover with a lot of other extra stuff.

There's a psychology/sociology document formulated by a 528 scorer on both Reddit and other places like YouTube. Use that and UWorld, and you will be fine

Also scored a 131 on P/S and all I used was the MilesDown MCAT Anki deck. P/S is the most memorization heavy section imo

also did not take Psych or Soc in college and did really well in P/S. Super easy to self study

Depends on how well you self-study. I took a soc course which I think really helped (131), but in hindsight a lot of the material in soc and psych can be self taught. It just depends on your style.

Take the class only if it is required as a prerequisite or recommended course for schools on your wishlist. Preparing for the MCAT requires resources to help you with higher-yield material that a course may cover with a lot of other extra stuff.
I attend a T20, so I probably won't shoot for med schools outside this range (I'll probably also apply to some T30s). What schools within this range recommend sociology?

I attend a T20, so I probably won't shoot for med schools outside this range (I'll probably also apply to some T30s). What schools within this range recommend sociology?
We really can't recommend schools unless you post a fully formatted WAMC with your actual MCAT score, etc.

Not to be rude but this is a really easy search and you shouldn't be applying without looking at school's websites to see what they prefer/recommend/require.

Sure that's fair. However, considering so many people didn't take sociology, it really isn't that important of a piece of one's application right? Especially for the schools listed below
1681843836241.png

Sure that's fair. However, considering so many people didn't take sociology, it really isn't that important of a piece of one's application right? Especially for the schools listed below
View attachment 369557
I mean I have no idea where you got this list from but I recommend doing what the last sentence says. A quick glance at Harvard's website yields this "All applicants are encouraged to complete coursework in the behavioral sciences. Courses in the fields of psychology, sociology, as well as other disciplines, are suggested."

There is no shortcut for just looking at each medical schools website and reading what they have to say. If you aren't doing this to tailor your application/essays to each school to begin with you are setting yourself up for failure.

Reactions: 1 users
I would take the class for your own edification purposes rather than just for the MCAT. The sociological perspective is not something you can memorize, it's a frame of mind and how to view the world, and the various lenses from which you can do so.

I'm assuming you've already taken Psych, there is a good bit of overlap so it's a very easy A and generally offered online / summer / winter so it's pretty accessible. You can definitely think of it as also being relevant to CARS xD

honestly, I would take soc, I feel like I am increasingly seeing psych and social show up as a requirement for med schools, if not requirement it is at the very least recommended

Will a sociology class help with the MCAT? Maybe, maybe not.

Will certain schools give you an edge with it? Maybe, maybe not.

I think you have the wrong perspective my dude, and you are certainly worried about the wrong things. First, just focus on your MCAT. And if you want to take a sociology class, then take it for the sake of learning, not for the sake of "looking good" or trying to get extra points on the MCAT. And one thing I can say for sure is that the kind of overconfidence you are projecting is something that is very easily picked up on by interviewers and people in general, and that will hurt you far worse than not taking a sociology course. So I would do some introspection and work on that because I know far too many people who applied to only top schools and ended up applying multiple times. Just giving some tough love advice. Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users