Is it worth taking a year off to do GI research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LennonMcCartney

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently a PGY-III at a medium sized community program and have an interest in persuing GI.

Our residency has been way too difficult to do research during our training and we do not have any available in house fellowships.

I would love to get involved with something for the next year in order to try and obtain a GI position in the future. However, I do not want to waste years chasing GI the wrong way.

Do any of you know if the smaller GI community based programs in more rural areas would be a good place to go and do research? I am in NYC right now and I know all the NY/NJ/CT programs already have many people involved with research and are crazy competitive even with in hoouse research. I was hoping a more rural setting would be a good place to do research for a year. I can't imagine a small place in the midwest or south would have too many people running to live and do a year of dedicated research? At least I hope not...

Any ideas? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm currently a PGY-III at a medium sized community program and have an interest in persuing GI.

Our residency has been way too difficult to do research during our training and we do not have any available in house fellowships.

I would love to get involved with something for the next year in order to try and obtain a GI position in the future. However, I do not want to waste years chasing GI the wrong way.

Do any of you know if the smaller GI community based programs in more rural areas would be a good place to go and do research? I am in NYC right now and I know all the NY/NJ/CT programs already have many people involved with research and are crazy competitive even with in hoouse research. I was hoping a more rural setting would be a good place to do research for a year. I can't imagine a small place in the midwest or south would have too many people running to live and do a year of dedicated research? At least I hope not...

Any ideas? thanks
Hi Lennon

i'm kinda in the same boat as you are. i'm doing research at the U of M in Ann Arbor, MI. i came from a small community hospital that does not offer GI fellowship. my hope is that i can get few papers out of here and a good recommmendation letter and then apply to smaller GI positions

Hi all,

Any ideas? thanks

Check at Lahey. They'll probably take you on as a fellow after a year if they like you.

Check Mayo Clinic - they have a very strong GI program and lots of research