Is June 27 too late to take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Undecipherable

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My quarter ends on June 12. I have 3 super hard, upper level classes I'm taking during spring quarter so my DAT study time will be minimal (plus, I have to work too). I've been studying here and there for it since last summer. I feel I'll be 100% ready for it after my quarter finishes after studying for another two weeks before taking it. Will taking the DAT in late June be alright?

I have average stats and want to maximize my chances (GPAs are average...so I don't really stand out).
oGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.4 (screwed up really bad the first two years but picked it up really well the last 1.5 years)

On practice DAT exams, my range has been 19-24 (that was a lucky one).

Hopefully, I catch UW's eye because I'm a WA resident, but I'm not hopeful. I plan on applying to around 12-13 schools. IDK. I just have a pessimist attitude about it because I feel like schools will look at my screw ups during the first two years of UG and lack of volunteer work. :(

Also, my ECs are mediocre. There just aren't enough hours in the day for me to volunteer/shadow more than I already have in the past. However, I will make it work if it will improve my chances. Do you think I should just cram volunteering in there during spring break and spring quarter?

Members don't see this ad.

My spring quarter ended june 13 and I studied for a 1.5 months and took exam on Aug 2 and got interviews along with 2 acceptances. So what I am trying to say is taking your exam on June 27 will not cause a problem in getting interviews. Good luck and push through on those long DAT study days.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just do really well on it. I had a friend who got it in in August and made it into a couple of schools.

My quarter ends on June 12. I have 3 super hard, upper level classes I'm taking during spring quarter so my DAT study time will be minimal (plus, I have to work too). I've been studying here and there for it since last summer. I feel I'll be 100% ready for it after my quarter finishes after studying for another two weeks before taking it. Will taking the DAT in late June be alright?

I have average stats and want to maximize my chances (GPAs are average...so I don't really stand out).
oGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.4 (screwed up really bad the first two years but picked it up really well the last 1.5 years)

On practice DAT exams, my range has been 19-24 (that was a lucky one).

Hopefully, I catch UW's eye because I'm a WA resident, but I'm not hopeful. I plan on applying to around 12-13 schools. IDK. I just have a pessimist attitude about it because I feel like schools will look at my screw ups during the first two years of UG and lack of volunteer work. :(

Also, my ECs are mediocre. There just aren't enough hours in the day for me to volunteer/shadow more than I already have in the past. However, I will make it work if it will improve my chances. Do you think I should just cram volunteering in there during spring break and spring quarter?
Hey I'm also a WA resident and if it makes you feel better, I'm planning on taking my exam early July lol (but its a retake)

I took my DAT on Aug 8. I got acceptd to my number one school on December 1st. Just tell them on your application when you will take it. It uploads within 3 weeks. Just an FYI: I was scheduled to take the DAT on June 18. 3 days before that date I was freaking out and did not feel ready (I was retaking it after getting a 16 the first time, so I knew I had to rock it out). I rescheduled it for the 8th of Aug. Just took an extra 5 weeks to really go over my stuff and feel more confident. I did good enough that I got in (20). Best $100 I ever spent. I just know if I would have taken it in June it would have been a disaster.

Good Luck

I took my DAT on Aug 8. I got acceptd to my number one school on December 1st. Just tell them on your application when you will take it. It uploads within 3 weeks. Just an FYI: I was scheduled to take the DAT on June 18. 3 days before that date I was freaking out and did not feel ready (I was retaking it after getting a 16 the first time, so I knew I had to rock it out). I rescheduled it for the 8th of Aug. Just took an extra 5 weeks to really go over my stuff and feel more confident. I did good enough that I got in (20). Best $100 I ever spent. I just know if I would have taken it in June it would have been a disaster.

Good Luck
hey is there a section on the application where you can say you're retaking it?

I took mine in September and got offers from both schools to which I applied.

Do you mean to say she took the DAT in August?

Also, do you know what their stats were?
Yes, she took the DAT in August and ended up at LLU. From what I understand, her stats were pretty average 3.3-4 for science and overall.
I wouldn't wait that late in the game though, I just wanted to encourage the idea of you having it done in June/July :)

Last edited:
I personally think it isn't too late but I would recommend taking it the end of May, if at all possible. It is just better to have everything done and submitted as early as possible.

I took the DAT in August. Just take a test when you are ready.

I took it on August 8 and was offered an interview for September 26. Anytime in June and July is fine for sure, even the beginning of August obviously. The most important thing is to be ready for whatever date you take it.

Nope, definitely not late. My friends, who are a year older, took theirs at the beginning of July, 2014, and got into the schools they wanted!

Good Luck
Sorry for another question. I am planning to retake DAT. In that case, is there any space for mentioning that I have previous DAT score but planning to retake it on the application site?

Here's one more anecdote: took mine on August 14 (I think?), got an interview August 17th, and accepted to 4 schools.

took mine October 1st and ended up with 7 interviews.. albeit post-december interviews lol.