Is MCAT difficulty based on "entered background information"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinbui199

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember that during the MCAT registration screen I had to enter my highest education level achieved. Does anyone think that if I entered a higher professional degree like M.S or PhD, then AAMC will throw more killer passages at me on my test date? I'm kind of paranoid that they require you to enter so much background information at this time, considered the fact that this is not an actual AMCAS application yet, you know?

Members don't see this ad.

You're background info is not used to determine the difficulty of your exam. Everyone at your test center will have the same exam, regardless of their backgrounds.

Reactions: 1 users
You should put elementary school IMHO.

This way when the AAMC makes the custom exam to fit your needs, you won't be thrown any curveballs.

Good luck!

You should enter that you are from Jersey. That way, AAMC will feel sorry for you and give you an easier test.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No way and even if they did make it "harder" they'd have to adjust the test in some fashion to compensate (e.g., make the curve much easier) so you'd get approximately the same score anyways

The entire purpose of the MCAT is to STANDARDIZE your performance. In other words, you need to be able to compare people's performance to each other. Obviously, no test can be exactly equal in difficulty to another (unless all the questions are the same) so some adjustments (i.e., the curve variations) account for them.

Reactions: 1 user