Is MCAT prep about hours put in or does it have to do with innate ability?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1085158

Assuming you understand how to study for the MCAT and that it is not a content-only test, does your score correlate to the hours that you put in, let's say 500 minimum, or even if you invest 500-800 hours, is it possible for people just not to be able to score well because a lack of some innate ability?

Will everyone that puts in a solid 500-800 hours at least easily get to the 50th percentile guaranteed?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a non-trad, and I absolutely would have done poorly on the MCAT because I forgot lots of stuff. Yes, the MCAT is passage-based, but you need knowledge to put those passages into context.

I've taken all the exams you listed. MCAT is exponentially more content-driven than those other exams. An LSAT passage is literally just about understanding what you're reading. For an MCAT passage, you still need that a foundational (and occasionally an advanced) level of understanding of the topic you're reading about if you want to score well.

To OP, I was someone who'd been out of school for a while and forgot most things from my premed courses. I took about a month and a half to do organized content review, then about a month and a half of question banks and practice tests. Altogether I probably studied about 300-400 hours.

There's no golden bullet for how many hours you need or how much of it needs to be content review. If you took your pre-med courses recently, did well in them, and feel like you retained the knowledge, perhaps you don't need much content review, and you can briefly brush up on things that you've forgotten. If you don't feel as comfy on the content, then maybe you need a bit more intensive review.
I read that you have taken some listed exams, which included The LSAT, MCAT, and the Bar Exam(in 1 or more jurisdictions), am I correct?

I agree, The LSAT was not testing specific course work knowledge. But absolutely, The Bar Exam does, although certainly there are times you can get the answer from good reading comprehension of the passages.

I want to know if the thousands of dollars I paid on the Bar Review strategies and tricks can help me on The MCAT. (And help others here, sans having to pay several thousands of dollars to find out!😇)

One thing my review course on The Bar exam overly emphasized-it is nonsense to do thousands of questions, without reviewing your results. Literallly focusing on the testing areas you missed or guessed on, helps you shore up weaknesses, and recognize testing patterns.

I did flashcards of the points I missed or guessed on The Bar Exam prep, little notes, sometimes several questions or study points on each card. I saw myself going from 50% scores in weak areas up to 80 or 85% over the weeks. I did not get to 4000-10,000 questions, maybe I did only 1500-2000. BUT, there was NOTHING in what I missed, guessed on, did not know, that I had not reviewed, restudied.

Would you say that kind of approach, would really help to raise your scores and be successful on The MCAT? I mean, what use is it doing 10,000 questions, but NEVER reviewing what you are missing, reviewing, by default how concepts you are weaker on, are tripping you up or being tested?

Would you say, that same rule, improving your test scores, 20-25% or more, can come from not just doing the questions, but taking that time for review? Maybe less quantity, but more quality?

I believe there was a study that showed a correlation between the quality of early education and standardized test performance. Socioeconomic factors were cited in the study. Nothing about MCAT is related to intelligence; I jumped from a 486 on a practice test to 512 in 4 weeks. Just got better at guessing, I did not increase my intelligence. I just got better at taking THAT exam. It’s a bull**** exam and everyone knows it. If you can pony up $4 - $6k for legit guided test prep, I’m sure you can literally start at a 472 and go into the 90th percentile.

My personal experience: 28 ACT/1700 SAT (horrible english scores) and didn't work hard enough (lowkey addict to lol). I knew I wanted to jump into medicine so I knew I had to work really hard in undergrad and cold turkey all my poor behaviors. I used to just cram and just wasn't worth it. I chose to space practice and study and graduated with a 3.9+ GPA at a kinda tough school. I remembered so much during content review from my old courses because I took the time to enjoy and learn the material during ugrad. I also made sure to read a bunch of random stuff and anki english words people used for 2 years every week. I took the MCAT with a 90 day schedule my 4th year summer and went from 500s at the beginning to 515+ balanced score on test day (did better on FLs than real deal rip). I logged my hours and I roughly studied ~500 hours (300 hrs anki and 200 hrs practice problems from AAMC and uworld).

I do know people who study for 30 days and get 515+ right off the bat naturally. But I think for the most part, if you dedicate 3-4 months tackling 40 hrs of legitmately studying and doing practice problems you can definitely achieve a 515+. Also, I deleted social media and just had a flip phone for the 3 months of studying and blocked websites to make sure I was on task! I def wasn't the top gunners of my high school class, but I made sure that i would put in the work and discipline to achieve my goals! Good luck taking the mcat!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The MCAT is a complete money grab and in no way a valid indicator of success. Standardized testing in general has been shown time and time again that it does not adequately assess one's true potential, yet it seems many colleges still consider an applicant's test scores the most important part of their application. Personally, I don't want to read another article about lack of diversity in medicine until this atrocity of an application process is revamped

There's oodles of data published by the AAMC that shows the MCAT is very helpful in assessing whether people will need extra board attempts, extra time to graduate, or graduate at all.

The admit rates for URM students with numbers predicting successful completion of the MD and passage of boards is actually very good! The main problem is really a lack of URM students reaching that point in the process.
And, most or all countries have standardized testing for their entrance to medical schools, or certification of medical school graduates. There has to be something to it.

I see this all the time but I think it's an excuse for laziness. I'm ESL (English is 3rd language) and scored 128 CARS. I grew up in a **** hole of a country, no internet, no toilets, you name it. A friend of mine (also ESL) scored 131 but grew up in the states with a good life, many of my other ESL friends all scored 125-127 on CARS. Some of my US-born friends and other people I know who attended top high schools ($30k/year high school) and did well on SAT/ACT scored poorly on CARS because they were not interested in practicing and working their but off, and instead went vacationing.

The easiest sections to increase through practice is P/S >>> B/B & C/P >> CARS - but nonetheless, it can be increased through hard work.
I don't think it's laziness. I did well on the old MCAT verbal, but I thank my Princeton Review instructor, at the time, in the early 2000s. I could definitely see how this section could be almost impossible to master in 3 months or so. I don't think any college course taught anyone to prep for it. English is my 2nd language. I still don't fare well, when it comes to analyzing poetry, and the particular nuances of sound intended by the poet, that most native English speakers recognize and could write essays about.
I scored 11 on the old MCAT verbal reasoning.

to build on what Jim said, I do actually think you can guarantee a 520+ if you put the time in. I strongly believe anyone can get a 132 on the c/p and b/b sections and 130 on p/s if they study the right way. Im a non trad who took the exam four years after my last college science close and got a 522 (132/127/132/131) using a very systematic approach. From the get go I had planned to prioritize 132s on c/p, b/b and p/s because I figured you could brute force those, and I was almost able to accomplish that if it weren’t for p/s becoming more like a cars v2.
Can I ask how you studied. What resources you used and the study schedule you followed. Would greatly appreciate the advice! Thanks!

Just following up my posts with a reddit post I wrote on how I guaranteed myself 132 on b/b and c/p. Thought some people might find it useful.

Hello, thank you very much for this detailed explanation, I wanted to know how it took you to do this , as well as how many hours per week you studied. Thanks!

to build on what Jim said, I do actually think you can guarantee a 520+ if you put the time in. I strongly believe anyone can get a 132 on the c/p and b/b sections and 130 on p/s if they study the right way. Im a non trad who took the exam four years after my last college science close and got a 522 (132/127/132/131) using a very systematic approach. From the get go I had planned to prioritize 132s on c/p, b/b and p/s because I figured you could brute force those, and I was almost able to accomplish that if it weren’t for p/s becoming more like a cars v2.
Do you think you can expand on your systemic approach?

Hello, thank you very much for this detailed explanation, I wanted to know how it took you to do this , as well as how many hours per week you studied. Thanks!
What's the deal with everyone not wanting to say UWorld on reddit?

• Haha
What's the deal with everyone not wanting to say UWorld on reddit?
I think back in the day there were legal issues surrounding reddit users posting copyrighted UWorld content, and not using their name became some sort of reaction to that. Among other things, the MCAT subreddit was shut down for a time over it.

I think back in the day there were legal issues surrounding reddit users posting copyrighted UWorld content, and not using their name became some sort of reaction to that. Among other things, the MCAT subreddit was shut down for a time over it.
I remember when it was shut down. The reaction memes were sweet. Thought they were scared of having legal troubles again, but it looks like they're just trolling.