Is Medical School a Realistic Option for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marko123

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I would like to ask whether my desire to apply to medical school is just a dream, or I stand some chances to get accepted. I will tell you my background and story.

I am currently in my mid-20s and I come from a foreign country -even though I am a US permanent resident. After graduating from a highly specialized scientific high school in my home country, I was accepted into medical school after taking a required national exam -similar to the MCAT in the US. Instead of attending medical school, I decided to come the US, and I pursued a different academic route.

I did two years of community college, and then I graduated from a good university with a BA in chemistry. During my undergrad I did extensive research in the chemical and chemical engineering field: I co-authored two scientific publications on reputable journals, and two patents. Even though my degree was in chemistry, during my last two years of undergrad, I have almost fulfilled all the requirements for a BS in chemical engineering. After my graduation, I attended a top school, also thanks to extremely strong letters of recommendation, where I graduated with an MS in chemical engineering, and where I kept pursuing research. My GPAs at both my undergrad and grad institutions were 3.93, and I graduated in the top 2.5% of my class. During some summer breaks, I have also worked as a chemical engineer intern on hard tech start ups.

For this reason I would like to ask whether I stand any chances considering my background:

-BA chemistry from good university, GPA 3.93, completed almost all requirements for BS chemical engineering
-Two scientific publications related to chemical engineering
-Two patents related to chemical engineering
-Work experience as a chemical engineer and chemist
-MS chemical engineering from top university, GPA 3.93
-Extensive coursework in science, math and engineering, but lack of coursework in biology: I have taken an UD bio-inorganic chemistry course during my undergrad, and many courses in biology and biochemistry during high school -which allowed me to pass the national exam similar to the MCAT.
-Lack of extracurricular activities related to the medical field

I have noticed that several medical schools do not require prereq courses anymore, even though they suggest to take them. (https://hpa.princeton.edu/sites/hpa/files/2018hpa-md-noprereqcourses.pdf)

Please let me know your opinions.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I would like to ask whether my desire to apply to medical school is just a dream, or I stand some chances to get accepted. I will tell you my background and story.

I am currently in my mid-20s and I come from a foreign country -even though I am a US permanent resident. After graduating from a highly specialized scientific high school in my home country, I was accepted into medical school after taking a required national exam -similar to the MCAT in the US. Instead of attending medical school, I decided to come the US, and I pursued a different academic route.

I did two years of community college, and then I graduated from a good university with a BA in chemistry. During my undergrad I did extensive research in the chemical and chemical engineering field: I co-authored two scientific publications on reputable journals, and two patents. Even though my degree was in chemistry, during my last two years of undergrad, I have almost fulfilled all the requirements for a BS in chemical engineering. After my graduation, I attended a top school, also thanks to extremely strong letters of recommendation, where I graduated with an MS in chemical engineering, and where I kept pursuing research. My GPAs at both my undergrad and grad institutions were 3.93, and I graduated in the top 2.5% of my class. During some summer breaks, I have also worked as a chemical engineer intern on hard tech start ups.

Unfortunately, even though I was successful in college, research and work, the last two years of my education were marked by severe spousal abuse. After experiencing this abuse and being rescued from a bad situation, which led to separating from my spouse, my passion and interest to help and assist people who are suffering reignited. I am now really contemplating to go to medical school, and I regret the decision not to attend it after high school in my home country.

For this reason I would like to ask whether I stand any chances considering my background:

-BA chemistry from good university, GPA 3.93, completed almost all requirements for BS chemical engineering
-Extensive coursework in science, math and engineering, but lack of coursework in biology: I have taken an UD bio-inorganic chemistry course during my undergrad, and many courses in biology and biochemistry during high school -which allowed me to pass the national exam similar to the MCAT.

I have noticed that several medical schools do not require prereq courses anymore, even though they suggest to take them. (https://hpa.princeton.edu/sites/hpa/files/2018hpa-md-noprereqcourses.pdf)

Thank you!
You would absolutely be a very strong candidate. Given how competitive the admission process is, however, you would be well advised to take any remaining prerequisites at a 4 year university in order to not artificially limit your opportunities. Nothing you did in HS will count, other than to maybe give you a head start in whatever coursework you still have to take in the US.

You will also need to participate in the expected medical related ECs and volunteering, and do well on the MCAT. From the sound of your story, you are highly likely to do well and be successful. Good luck!!

Reactions: 3 users

Unfortunately, even though I was successful in college, research and work, the last two years of my education were marked by severe spousal abuse. After experiencing this abuse and being rescued from a bad situation, which led to separating from my spouse, my passion and interest to help and assist people who are suffering reignited. I am now really contemplating to go to medical school, and I regret the decision not to attend it after high school in my home country.

Thank you!
What are all the science and math classes you took since coming to America?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are all the science and math classes you took since coming to America?

General Chemistry 1 year with lab LD
Organic Chemistry 1 year with lab LD
General Physics 1 year with lab LD
Calculus I, II, III, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations LD (total 5 classes)
Advanced Mathematical Methods in Engineering Graduate Level
Inorganic Chemistry UD
Analytical Chemistry UD
Bio-Inorganic Chemistry UD
Physical-Organic Chemistry UD
Physical Chemistry 1 year with lab UD
Environmental Chemistry UD
Polymer science and engineering UD
Energy science and engineering UD
Transport Processes UD and Graduate Level
Reaction Engineering UD and Graduate Level
Separation Processes UD
Design of Chemical Processes UD
Advanced Design for Nuclear Reactors Graduate Level
Bio-engineering Graduate Level
Surface Engineering Graduate Level
Intro to Psychology LD
Intro to Sociology LD
Bio-Anthropology LD
Thermodynamics for Chemical Processes Graduate Level
Applied Linear Algebra Graduate Level
Linear Systems Theory Graduate Level

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Looks like only thing you are missing is 1 year of general biology.

I think all you’re missing is a year of biology, plus shadowing and volunteering. You need some experience with clinical medicine (volunteering or employment). You should be able to accomplish all this in a year or two.

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you very much for the responses! I really appreciate it!

Yes, quite doable.

read this:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, quite doable.

read this:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624
Thank you very much!