Is Moonlighting possible during Residency? And also

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeyJey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a 2nd semester med student and was wondering is moonlighting possible during Neurology residencies?

Also, how is one remunerated if moonlighting? Hourly? By shift?

Also, during slow hours or lulls during moonlighting, if it even is possible, is it feasible to nap like on breaks and lunches?

Thank you all for any information you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

You can moonlight if officially and formally permitted by your PD. You'll need a full medical license. Payment can be hourly or by shift depending on the job. A lot of moonlighting happens on overnight shifts, and you could theoretically nap, but you're being paid to work, and moonlighting work can be tedious. Like, admitting ROMIs to the observation unit all night tedious.

I never did it, but I had classmates who did.

Ah thank you Typhoon.

Is moonlighting then available for most programs?

Also, in what years is it possible to do? As in 2nd or 3rd year of residency, 4th year?

Did you know anybody who was able to pay down a significant amount of their med school loans while in residency if moonlighting was possible?

Thank you for all of the valuable information you are providing.

First off, many programs do not allow moonlighting. It is program by program, and in rigorous residencies there is concern about hours violations (moonlighting counts to your work week). Strictly speaking, you can moonlight when you have a full medical license, although limited exceptions to this do exist if you moonlight in the same institution that is sponsoring your limited license. I've never personally heard of anyone moonlighting during internship, because you don't have a license and you're working 80 hours a week already. Mostly PGY 3-4 in neurology. Most of my friends who did moonlighting during residency did it for vacation funds or to support hobbies; to significantly pay down loans you'd have to be moonlighting pretty hard, and most places put a cap on how much you can do.

You're in residency to learn, not turn a profit.