Is my class schedule good enough? (Bio Research)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charrin4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im not exactly interested going into Pre-Pharmacy but it is on the table. I would really like to do work in molecular biology (a lot research!) .. and eventually working my way to more sophisticated molecular research in the future. I am currently an undergrad at Oswego State University majoring in: B.S. Biology with two minors in Health Science and Chemistry.
Now, my main question is... will my courseload be sufficient enough to gain admission into a Masters program in Molecular Biology? I currently have a 3.4 GPA as well if that helps and do research work with professors.

The asterics (*) next to a class indicates I am planning on taking these classes next year. Anything else I should take in my last year of schooling or is this a sufficient enough list? Please be honest! How is my list looking?

Molecular and Cellular Foundations with lab (B+)
Genetics with lab (A- in class, B+ in lab)
Evolution (B+ in class)
The Animal Kingdom/Taxonomy with lab (B-)
Cellular Physiology (B in class)
Introduction to Ecology with lab (Hopefully an A-)
Microbiology with lab (Hopefully a B+)
Immunology*
Virology*
Research Course*
Evolution Capstone Course*

General Chemistry with lab (C)
General Chemistry II with lab (C+)
Organic Chemistry I with lab (B+ in class, A in lab)
Organic Chemistry II with lab (B in class, A- in lab)
Biochemistry I with lab (B+ in class, B in lab)
Biochemistry II with lab (Hopefully a B?)
Analytical Chemistry*

General Physics I with lab (A-)
General Physics II with lab (B)

Calculus I (B)
Calculus II (Hopefully a good grade)
Biological Statistics (B+)

Nutrition (A)
Health and Wellness (A)
Critical Health Issues (A)
Diseases and Lifestyles (A-)
My school also offers Embryology, PChem 1/2, Inorganic Chem, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Lots and Lots of Zoology classes, Lots of Plant classes, and lots of Ecology classes. I also have the option to take Calc 3, Stats B, Differential Equations, Discrete Math, etc .... More Physics is there as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You might want to check out the pre-requisites for that particular Master's program, but if you want to keep pharmacy school an open option, the general pre-requisite classes for most programs is something like the following:
  • 2 semesters general biology (with lab)
  • 2 semesters general chemistry (with lab)
  • 2 semesters organic chemistry (with lab)
  • 1-2 semesters biochemistry
  • 1 semester anatomy and physiology (recommended)
  • 1 semester microbiology
  • 1-2 semesters calculus
  • 1-2 semesters statistics
  • 2 semesters English
This also varies from program to program, so you might want to look up the pre-requisite courses for the pharmacy programs you might be interested in down the line to make sure you've fulfilled the pre-reqs. The good news is that most of these pre-reqs will translate well for a Molecular Biology program (plus a cellular/molecular biology class) or other pre-health fields. Good luck with your decision!

I think that this is good but also remember the pharmacy schools want humanities, English or even public speaking, but if you already did this, you are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im the (OP) and I forgot to mention my other coursework,

I transferred in: AP Language and Composition, AP US History, AP World History, AP Human Geography, AP Psychology, AP Environmental Science and AP Government. Then I was dual enrolled and took Speech Fundamentals, English 102, US Government, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Gen Bioloogy 1, Biology of Sexuality, Speech and a few others not worth mentioning.

But at my current school I have taken:
Gender and Contemporary Studies (A)
English 2 (A-)
College Algebra (B-)
among others.

I also dual enrolled :) and tbh I liked it a lot and most of the courses were transferrable. Your grades are looking good! I honestly think that the list of classes that you want to take is good GENERALLY speaking of course... you better check with the different pharmacy schools that you want to apply to. Just some honest advice from a princess :highfive:

Also, I just read that you haven't decided on pre-pharm :). Well, ultimately is your choice, consider it carefully. I don't want to even mention the word "s*********" or this simple forum turns into an immediate war zone.

Thank You im just nervous because my school has HORRIBLE Microbiology and Genetic courses. I want to be competitive

I also want to take Animal Physiology

Reactions: 1 user
That genuinely sucks :dead: SDN colleague cause I know that most pharm schools require at least one course in Microbiology or Genetics (but maybe you can slide by depending on pharmacy schools in your area). May I ask what state do you reside in? I live in So. Florida. :laugh:

Are you or do you plan to be involved in any research at your school now? I would recommend trying to become involved in research before you leave your university to not only see if you actually enjoy it but also to gain experience to make you more competitive for where ever you end up deciding to go in the future.

That being said, if you are interested in molecular biology research than pharmacy probably isn't for you. The main focus of pharmacy school is basically applied/clinical pharmacology, meaning unless you're interested in pharmaceutical/pharmacological research pharmacy school won't align with your interests. Even then, not all pharmacy schools offer real research opportunities or tracks so you'd have to find ones that would allow you to pursue research in school or allow you to pursue a PharmD/PhD.

My next question is why a master's degree? Most real scientist/researcher positions will require, or strongly suggest, that you have a PhD. A master's will get you into some doors but you won't be, more than likely, doing independent research. Instead, you'll be a research assistant, lab manager or someone being told what experiments to run through. Not that those are bad things but that may not be what you want.