Is my DAT score competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cdrang

Reaction score
AA: 20
PA: 20
RC: 28
QR: 19
BI: 17
CH: 18
OC: 17
TS:17
Will this be competitive enough, GPA 3.33, BCP, 3.21? Will my low science score ruin my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It will depend on where you apply, I would definitely call the schools. IMO, your scores are not very competitive for a lot of schools. The 28 in Reading is fantastic and your other scores are good, but most schools like a bit higher in the sciences.

Where are you applying and what happened in the sciences?

Nancy

Reactions: 1 users
I think your AA is good but the low TS combined with the lower-end BCP doesn't look good.

I actually applied with very similar stats to you last cycle 19AA 17TS 3.40 gpa I didn't get accepted and had to retake the DAT. Not saying you won't get in that's just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will depend on where you apply, I would definitely call the schools. IMO, your scores are not very competitive for a lot of schools. The 28 in Reading is fantastic and your other scores are good, but most schools like a bit higher in the sciences.

Where are you applying and what happened in the sciences?

Nancy

I didn't feel like I had enough time to study for all of it but I feel that if I have to retake it next year I can do much better. I'm applying all up and down the west cost and a few on the east such as tufts, or NCU.

I'd retake

AA: 20
PA: 20
RC: 28
QR: 19
BI: 17
CH: 18
OC: 17
TS:17

RC is heavily inflating your AA.

Reactions: 1 users
If you had a 19 or 20 on RC you would have an 18AA. Since you have a low gpa and a 17TS you should strongly consider retaking. You did phenomenally well on RC this time and if you were able to get all of your sections to a 19 and keep RC the way it is you’d have a 21.

Honestly, I would apply and retake if you don't get in. Like someone mentioned, the 28 RC is heavily inflating your AA. Out of curiousity, what did you use to prepare?

Honestly, I would apply and retake if you don't get in. Like someone mentioned, the 28 RC is heavily inflating your AA. Out of curiousity, what did you use to prepare?
I used the kaplan test prep, but only had a few weeks to do it; so I didn't have as much time to get some of the base memorization stuff down. I knew the RC was gonna be my strong point so I didn't study for it in particular, but I did use the road map method to get it done.

I applied to 15 schools with a 3.3 20AA/20TS. I got interviewed at roseman, UofL, Midwestern AZ and IL.... but I was accepted at MWU az on the spot in feburary and felt it was the best fit for me so I took myself off the waitlists at roseman, uofl and MWU IL. My highest course load in undergrad was 13hrs, and I finished my BS in 6yrs while working as a RDA, and volunteering. I was definitely lucky to get accepted, and many of my classmates had much higher scores and/or masters. Id probably recommend a postbacc or masters program, unless you have the money to gamble. But remember to apply to masters programs as well to keep your options open. Plan to retake as well.

In this life, our luck is a huge factor in anything we do or do not do.
So, I can tell you, oh you don't have a chance, or I can tell you oh you have an equal chance as everyone else, but at the end of the day. My words do not weigh a thing.
However, I can tell you something that I learned while studying for the DAT, I will quote what I read in one of these prep companies.
"Chance prefers the prepared mind!"
Be prepared to retake the DAT whether you are gonna apply this year or the next. It's inevitable, so you might as well accept that fact and roll with it.
If you are going to retake, I encourage you to review the materials again.
Then spend a month on the destroyer & math destroyer. Take notes and write everything down on two notebooks specifically for this purpose.
Then spend the last month on any test prep out there, they are all not representative of the real test, because the real test is crazy easy to those who already mastered the materials and studied well. ( again take notes and write them down on your notebook)
Finally, the last 3-5 days you just need to cram Bio and all the notes you took!
I am pretty sure, when you retake it, you will score 20+ on all topics.