Is my dream score attainable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eddie Chahar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Long story short, I took my exam in May and got a 25 (Kaplan exams made me feel more prepared than I really was. Ended up with a 10/5/10). I'm retaking the exam next weekend. Here are some numbers.. some of these are from the earlier AAMCs so I've been hesitant on confidence levels. I am taking AAMC 11 on Monday and I exhausted AAMC 9 and 10 a few months ago. I know AAMC11 has been close to the real deal for a lot of people, but I just want to see some trends of people who have already taken the exams listed below compared to how they actually did on test day.

Goal: 35+ on exam day

Self Assessments:
Physics: 88%
Gen Chem: 93%
Orgo: 91%
Bio: 90%
Verbal: Haven't done it yet (will spend time doing it this weekend)

FL (all taken over the past month, a few days apart each in this order):
AAMC3: 35 (12/9/14)
AAMC4: 33 (13/6/14)
AAMC5: 35 (13/9/13)
AAMC7: 32 (12/7/13)
AAMC8: 33 (12/8/13)

Obviously won't be mad with a 33 or so, but I will upset because it isn't as competitive at my reach schools. Let me know what you guys think, or if you have any advice going into this last week of preparation. Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Long story short, I took my exam in May and got a 25 (Kaplan exams made me feel more prepared than I really was. Ended up with a 10/5/10). I'm retaking the exam next weekend. Here are some numbers.. some of these are from the earlier AAMCs so I've been hesitant on confidence levels. I am taking AAMC 11 on Monday and I exhausted AAMC 9 and 10 a few months ago. I know AAMC11 has been close to the real deal for a lot of people, but I just want to see some trends of people who have already taken the exams listed below compared to how they actually did on test day.

Goal: 35+ on exam day

Self Assessments:
Physics: 88%
Gen Chem: 93%
Orgo: 91%
Bio: 90%
Verbal: Haven't done it yet (will spend time doing it this weekend)

FL (all taken over the past month, a few days apart each in this order):
AAMC3: 35 (12/9/14)
AAMC4: 33 (13/6/14)
AAMC5: 35 (13/9/13)
AAMC7: 32 (12/7/13)
AAMC8: 33 (12/8/13)

Obviously won't be mad with a 33 or so, but I will upset because it isn't as competitive at my reach schools. Let me know what you guys think, or if you have any advice going into this last week of preparation. Thank you!!!
I think you answered your own question with your practice scores.
You look to be on track to low 30's, maybe not over 35 but possibly very close to it!
I thought Kaplan verbal was pretty useless too, I actually one did a couple practice passages with them before switching to EK. But I haven't got my score yet so I'm probably not one to talk....
I'd recommebed the verbal self-assesment, or EK101

Reactions: 1 users
I think you answered your own question with your practice scores.
You look to be on track to low 30's, maybe not over 35 but possibly very close to it!
I thought Kaplan verbal was pretty useless too, I actually one did a couple practice passages with them before switching to EK. But I haven't got my score yet so I'm probably not one to talk....
I'd recommebed the verbal self-assesment, or EK101

Awesome, hope so! Yeah Kaplan is pretty disappointing considering the price tag... oh well. Thank you for the advice!

Based on your practice exams, I would say that you definitely can score 35+, but you can just as easily end up with a 32. At the moment it really depends on if the real exam gives you material you are good at or throws you some curve balls.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Fantastic science scores on your FLs!!
It would appear to me that your target score of 35 (or maybe higher) is a realistic goal.
If you have the time I'd recommend re-taking 9 and 10. You said that you've taken them a couple months ago, but the way those tests ask questions is a more accurate depiction of how the real-deal will ask its questions compared to, say, AAMC 3. Obviously, keep in mind the scores will be biased, but the practice will be beneficial, in my opinion.

Good luck!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/next-step-mcat-tutor-office-hours.970/

Based on your practice exams, I would say that you definitely can score 35+, but you can just as easily end up with a 32. At the moment it really depends on if the real exam gives you material you are good at or throws you some curve balls.

Thank you, definitely makes sense. My least studied topic ended up showing up in 2 complete passages on my last exam day. Definitely learned my lesson!

Fantastic science scores on your FLs!!
It would appear to me that your target score of 35 (or maybe higher) is a realistic goal.
If you have the time I'd recommend re-taking 9 and 10. You said that you've taken them a couple months ago, but the way those tests ask questions is a more accurate depiction of how the real-deal will ask its questions compared to, say, AAMC 3. Obviously, keep in mind the scores will be biased, but the practice will be beneficial, in my opinion.

Good luck!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/next-step-mcat-tutor-office-hours.970/

Thank you! I will definitely be reviewing AAMC 9 and 10 just to get a feel for the passages and questions again... what you're saying definitely makes sense. I won't be able to squeeze in more than AAMC11 this week because I have class all week, but I will definitely be re-doing the verbal since that is the score that tends to be the deciding factor of my good/bad scores. I know the recent MCATs are more experimental based, but those tend to be better for me rather than straight on discretes. Hopefully it all works out in the end! :D