Is my OAT/GPA competitive?

bchu6

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the OAT today and I didn't do too horribly but I am concerned that my physics/bio section will affect my chances as a candidate.
My overall GPA is a 3.43 and Science GPA is a 3.8 (this is because I graduated as a psych major but went back to school to take pre reqs.)
Once the application cycle opens up again I do plan on applying to ICO, Salus, and SUNY. Does anyone know what each school looks at the most
when it comes to the OAT?

OAT Score:

Bio: 290
Chem: 320
OChem,: 330
RC: 360
Physics: 280
QR: 340

AA: 320 / TS: 300

In terms of experience I have worked 3 years full time as a tech/personal assistant for a private practice. Outside of the working experience I have shadowed 4 other optometrist as well as an ophthalmologist! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (If anyone has any questions as well feel free to ask!)

Members don't see this ad.

I had around the same OAT and gpa as you and got interviews for ICO and salus. I think you are competitive enough for them. I know SUNY is a little more competitive though.

Reactions: 1 user
I had around the same OAT and gpa as you and got interviews for ICO and salus. I think you are competitive enough for them. I know SUNY is a little more competitive though.

Thank you for the reply! How did the interviews go?

They went well. I actually declined Salus’s interview and only interviewed at ICO and SCCO. I was accepted to both and will be going to SCCO.

Reactions: 1 user