This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oklahomasooner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My scores were:

Bio: 300
Chem: 330
O. Chem: 310
Reading: 310
Physics: 300
QR: 310

AA: 310 TS: 310

My GPA is about 3.2 cumulative and science. However, I have A LOT of extracurricular activities and shadowing experiences. Over 100 hours shadowing optometry, and 7 different extracurricular activities from my Freshman year to Senior year of college. Additionally I have a few different honors and awards. I'm having an optometrist who really likes me write my rec letter and a few other professors that I connected with.

Is this enough to get me into NSU or UMSL? My dream school is UMSL but they only accept 48 students per year. Also, NSU only accepts 28. I just submitted my application last week and I already heard my friend got accepted into NSU. I applied at 6 other schools as well but I'm very nervous.

I love science and the subjects so I'm thinking about retaking the OAT exam on December 30th. I KNOW I can score AT LEAST a 330. I messed up on my first OAT- I was writing equations for 20 minutes at the start of the exam and didn't realize I was being timed (yeah I'm soooo stupid and this was a stupid mistake :( I realize this)! I didn't have time to freak out so I got my thoughts together and did the best I can with the remaining time. But I know I can do better. Is it worth me taking it again?

Any tips are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I had very similar stats and got an interview at UMSL. I ended up canceling it though. If you are really worried, call both of the admissions office to see if you they have a suggestion for you. Only they know if your scores are good enough.

I had very similar stats and got an interview at UMSL. I ended up canceling it though. If you are really worried, call both of the admissions office to see if you they have a suggestion for you. Only they know if your scores are good enough.

The UMSL office would really tell you if your are good enough? Where did you end up going if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well they won't tell you directly if you are good enough, but they gave me advice on what a competitive applicant looks like and can suggest if i needed to retake to OAT or not for them to consider me.

As for the school I am going to, I am still deciding between ICO and IUSO. I am heavily leaning towards IUSO though.

For UMSL I know they consider your reading, Chem and AA scores most heavily when looking at your OAT. I think you are still considered fairly competitive with your scores and your comprehensive shadowing is definitely good! Also don't be discouraged by UMSL's small class size, since schools typically admit at least twice as many students as their class size, since some students who are accepted won't choose to matriculate.

Reactions: 1 user
For UMSL I know they consider your reading, Chem and AA scores most heavily when looking at your OAT. I think you are still considered fairly competitive with your scores and your comprehensive shadowing is definitely good! Also don't be discouraged by UMSL's small class size, since schools typically admit at least twice as many students as their class size, since some students who are accepted won't choose to matriculate.

How do you know they consider reading, chem, and AA scores more? If you don't mind me asking, did you get accepted into UMSL? Or where did you choose to go?
Any other school you suggest I should apply to with my credentials?

Well they won't tell you directly if you are good enough, but they gave me advice on what a competitive applicant looks like and can suggest if i needed to retake to OAT or not for them to consider me.

As for the school I am going to, I am still deciding between ICO and IUSO. I am heavily leaning towards IUSO though.

Congrats!! What made you decide against UMSL? I applied at those schools as well! Do you mind me asking your GPA/OAT so I know what other applicants I am being compared to?

How do you know they consider reading, chem, and AA scores more? If you don't mind me asking, did you get accepted into UMSL? Or where did you choose to go?
Any other school you suggest I should apply to with my credentials?

I know they consider those three scores more because Nick Palisch (on the admissions board, interacts with all applicants, really funny guy) said that when he came to my undergrad and gave a presentation on UMSL. I did get accepted at UMSL! but I'm still deciding where to go. As for other schools to apply to, based on your OAT score, I'd say you have a good chance at getting into PCO (their avg AA of matriculants is usually around 310).

Congrats!! What made you decide against UMSL? I applied at those schools as well! Do you mind me asking your GPA/OAT so I know what other applicants I am being compared to?

This will be a good resource for you http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/class-of-2020-status.1153045/

I decided against UMSL because it would have been one of the most expensive for me and not my favorite program. The class size was a little too small for my taste and travel would have been a pain for me. The reason I applied was because one of the doctors who wrote a LOR went there and loved it. But not every school is going to be a fit. Find out what you want in a program and just go with your gut. We will take the same boards and have the same degree in the end. Find a place you feel comfortable so that you can learn the most you can about the field.

Yeah as SunA21 I posted on the Class of 2020 page but my GPA was 3.4 and 3.2 sGPA and 310 AA/310 TS.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
oklahomasooner did you get any interviews or acceptances from those schools?