Is my undergrad GPA an issue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w1116

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I've been accepted into the post bacc program at my state school. Before making the jump and accepting, I'm curious to know where I stand with my undergrad GPA. Specifically, I graduated with 3.4 in electrical engineering. Assuming I knock it out of the park with my post bacc courses, should I be alright? I'm not necessarily interested in top tier MD schools but I would prefer MD over DO.

Edit - Also, how do med schools view GPAs? Would they view my undergrad GPA separately from my post bacc GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have an upwads trend? Downwards trend? What is your MCAT? How long have you been out of school? Is your postbac a Masters? 2nd bachelors? Is it a formal progam? Is it a DIY? etc... If you want good advice on this forum you need to list everything out. How do you expect us to give you feedback if we don't know the basics?

Do you have an upwads trend? Downwards trend? What is your MCAT? How long have you been out of school? Is your postbac a Masters? 2nd bachelors? Is it a formal progam? Is it a DIY? etc... If you want good advice on this forum you need to list everything out. How do you expect us to give you feedback if we don't know the basics?

Sure, my apologies. I've graduated with my undergrad degree in electrical engineering in 2013, cGPA of 3.4. Downward trend in grades given that my engineering courses got progressively harder. Never took the MCAT.

The post bacc program itself is a formal program. The major difference is that I'll be mixed with all other undergrads...so I suppose I'll have to really shine in class in order to get attention.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, my apologies. I've graduated with my undergrad degree in electrical engineering in 2013, cGPA of 3.4. Downward trend in grades given that my engineering courses got progressively harder. Never took the MCAT.

The post bacc program itself is a formal program. The major difference is that I'll be mixed with all other undergrads...so I suppose I'll have to really shine in class in order to get attention.

Not sure how it is for med, but for AADSAS your postbac GPA gets factored into your overall GPA. The only separate GPA you have is for grad work. Is this program you are doing for upper division science coursework or to retake prereqs? You are definitely at least 2 years away from matriculating since you still need to take the MCAT. You need to show good grades for more than 1 year. I might even suggest an SMP instead. Is your program a reputable one that has a high placement rate into professional school?

Last edited:
What's your sGPA by AAMAS standards and how many pre-reqs do you still have to take?

3.4 before any pre-reqs isn't a terrible place to be starting from but the pressure is to ace the pre-reqs. Don't do more than you can't handle in one semester. If you do this and boost your GPA say to something around a 3.53-3.55 type GPA and then have a good showing on the MCAT you can be a competitive candidate and definitely don't need some form of SMP. But all this is a ways a way, first focus on doing well in what you need to: ie the pre-reqs and subsequent MCAT.