Is my undergrad research good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SushiFuji

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduate from undergrad in December and plan to apply to medical school next cycle. My undergrad research was a systematic review, which is pretty much a big literature review. I have gotten my paper published and presented at local as well as statewide conferences. Does this meet the research requirement/recommendation for medical schools? Should I try to get a spot in lab until I graduate?

Do medical schools prefer wet lab research? If so, what should I do to get some experience in such short time?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduate from undergrad in December and plan to apply to medical school next cycle. My undergrad research was a systematic review, which is pretty much a big literature review. I have gotten my paper published and presented at local as well as statewide conferences. Does this meet the research requirement/recommendation for medical schools?

Should I try to get a spot in lab until I graduate?

Do medical schools prefer wet lab research? If so, what should I do to get some experience in such short time?
Did you start with a hypothesis, develop methods to test it, gather data, analyze it, and come to a conclusion that would be considered new knowledge? This would be considered Research for application purposes whether it dealt with a science or non-science topic, whether a wet lab, or not.

If you decide to get an experience more-traditionally considered to be research, even a summer's worth or one term will "check the box." Your advisor or current past science faculty may know of a lab looking for help. Or you can check out your school's on-line research page for projects that appeal to you and approach those Principal Investigators by email .

Reactions: 1 user