Is NH3 more basic than OH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seraphkz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I'm guessing yes because N is less electronegative.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks

You are correct. Nitrogen and Oxygen are in the same row and the trend is that the less electronegative atom is more willing to donate electrons making it more basic.

Thanks
Are you referring to carboxylic acid derivatives or free NH3 and OH- in solution? Amides (RCOO-NH2) are the strongest base in the CA derivs, more so than (RCOO-OH, obviously since that is carbolxylic acid). But rather than looking at electronegativity (which refers to electrons in a bond), ionize your species and examine the leaving group.

Strongest Base(worst leaving group): NH2- > OR- > OH- > RCOO- > Cl- :Weakest base(best leaving group)

Add a proton to each of those anions and you have a list of acids in order of weakest(NH3) to strongest (HCl).

In free solution OH- will take up protons before NH3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, in that case, NH2- is a stronger base than OH-

NH2- > OH- > NH3 in terms of basicity

Or, if you want to look at trends along the periodic table (in order of electronegativity)

CH3- > NH2- > OH-

Or put another way, all else being equal (two anions compared, for example) Oxygen holds its electrons more tightly than does Nitrogen, and is a poorer Lewis base.

Oxygen is more electronegative. Therefore in water, it will be more likely to take up H+, compared to NH2-. Is this correct?

Oxygen is more electronegative. Therefore in water, it will be more likely to take up H+, compared to NH2-. Is this correct?

No, electronegativity is relative when 2 atoms are in a bond, and it specifically refers to an atom, not ions. That is, in H-F, the electrons in the bond are more "tightly held" by F-atom as opposed to H-atom because F-atom is more electronegative. Saying one ion(OH- or NH2-) is more electronegative than another is ambiguous.