Is Nova an easy dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

larrywalkerdds

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing rumors on the interview trail and from some students that Nova is a very kind dental school in regards to its grading curve and work load in comparison to other dental schools? To Yah-E and other Nova students, what is your take on this? The reason why I'm asking is that we hear about difficult dental schools like UCONN, Columbia and Tufts which is known for exceedingly more difficult than most dental schools. Nova is the first school that I have heard of that is one of the "easier" dental schools to succeed at. I have heard that it isn't impossible to get A's at Nova.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it is impossible to get an A at any dental school. I think that it takes a lot of commitment and work to get an A anywhere. I have heard the same rumors about Nova. Students from there have said that to be honest they don't know what they are doing. Who knows what that means.

Claudia

I have heard that too
one thing i do know that nova is a haven for drop out dental students who could not make it at NYU or columbia. but maybe i am wrong

There is no harm going to an easy school. i wish i did

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the only harm with going to an easy school, is students who graduate and don't know what they are doing because they were not disciplined and decided to cruise through school....result is lousy dentists.

Make that three people who have heard that about Nova. Their workload is probably the same but their curve is probably really generous. Nova and the word grade inflation go hand in hand from what I heard. But let's be honest; those who attended Nova should be given medals not criticism. If you can go to a dental school that provides favorable grades, you are a genius and not a slacker. It's your own fault if you went to UCONN. Think about it! If you can attend an easier dental school and have a great time doing it then who is the smarter person. Hell ya! Go Nova students. More power to you

Reactions: 1 user
claudiadent said:
I think the only harm with going to an easy school, is students who graduate and don't know what they are doing because they were not disciplined and decided to cruise through school....result is lousy dentists.

BS! Ivy league dental schools are are difficult and their dentists are lousy upon graduation. Ivy league students are known for being poor clinicians aka poor dentists. Their didactic knowledge is superior but when it comes to hand skills, they are far inferior as most of us can tell you. And it's not because their students are unskilled but their education heavily emphasized didactic work as opposed to hand skills. Nova is probably light on the didactic material. So what, it doesn't mean they will poor dentists. If anything, they might actually be better dentists if their emphasis is on clinical matters. I'm going to an Ivy league school and my hand skills will be nothing compared to a lot of dentists coming out. Oh well, that's what an ortho residency is for.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, rumors are rumors what can you do....everyone studies different. What's easy and what's not? Some thinks it's easy at one thing and some will think it's difficult. Personally, I believe that I will be in top 20 at any dental school you give me, but I just happen to be at Nova.

I don't think Nova has an easy curriculum, but I seem to be doing just fine at it. It's a difficult question to answer, but I know my school is not subpar to any other dental schools out there. We don't take a different NBDE Part 1 than any other dental schools out there and my 90 overall isn't different from other 90 overalls out there from a different dental student right? Florida State licensure board is one of the toughest in the country, but our graduates seen to pass it with ease year after year. I believe that between passing the NBDE Part 1 in style and our seniors passing the state licensure board, those two evidence should answer your question as how "easy" my dental school is!

About Nova being a haven for other dental school dropouts/failouts, sorry, but we don't take transfers. Those dropouts/failouts have to reapply just like everyone else. I'm can careless about what rumors are going on about Nova Dental, it has provided me with ample opportunities to make me a successful, confident, and competent dental student, future dentist and a Pre-OMFS candidate.

I can't stop rumors, but I start them.....I heard that Nova Dental students gets laid a lot?!! :thumbup:

I think its definitely hard to say whether a school is easier or not becauase most of us have nothing to base it on. I would assume only transfer students might have an idea whether or not one school is easier than another.

However, I do think that Nova is getting harder than when I first started. I ve had maybe one or two of the classes I ve taken curved. They usually only curve a class if half of the class is in danger of failing.

My fiance goes to the PA program at NOVA and says its easy beyond belief. Sometimes she wishes she didn't go there because she feels as if you pay your tution you will get your degree no matter what. She studies the night or hours before exams from powerpoint slides and makes 85+ usually. She also mentions that if can get a hold of old exams, roughly 50% of questions are repeats or a form of an old question. Does this apply to the dental school, I do not know but I know the optometery is similar there

One of the kids that got booted from NYU this year will be going to NOVA next year. He is not a transfer. He had a 29 DAT and killer research, but fell behind here. He talked to Su-Ann and she said it will not be a problem for him to join the class of 2009. So he has applied there already and we will see how things go.

Well anyway, no matter where you go its up to you to make the most of it

I have friends that attend Nova dental and from the description they have given me, it sounds pretty relaxed relatively speaking. They are given lecture packets that are based on the power point presentations in class. Almost nothing is covered from textbooks although textbooks are cited and reading is "assigned." According to them, they don't even bother reading textbooks since professors put everything from the power points onto their exams. These students are averaging in the high 80s after merely studying the day before the exam. They just memorize the power points and old exams which contain many of the same questions. I have heard their questions are pretty cut and dry for the most part. I know at other schools you have to worry about textbook reading in addition to the powerpoints and the questions can be higher order questions. I think one explanation behind all of this is that Nova is a DO school. And DO schools emphasize more clinical features as opposed long overdrawn details that allopathic schools emphasize in their basic sciences. It's a theory and I could be wrong. And students like Yah-E would know more about Nova since they attend there than any of us. But yes, I have heard that it is an easy school.

Brocnizer2007 said:
My fiance goes to the PA program at NOVA and says its easy beyond belief. Sometimes she wishes she didn't go there because she feels as if you pay your tution you will get your degree no matter what. She studies the night or hours before exams from powerpoint slides and makes 85+ usually. She also mentions that if can get a hold of old exams, roughly 50% of questions are repeats or a form of an old question. Does this apply to the dental school, I do not know but I know the optometery is similar there

One of the kids that got booted from NYU this year will be going to NOVA next year. He is not a transfer. He had a 29 DAT and killer research, but fell behind here. He talked to Su-Ann and she said it will not be a problem for him to join the class of 2009. So he has applied there already and we will see how things go.

Well anyway, no matter where you go its up to you to make the most of it

How funny, I just read your post and your fiance's experience seems to echo my friends' experience at Nova. too funny!

I have three friends that go to NOVA dental and have heard the same things.
They all say that they are spoon fed information and students average 80s.
If you can get into NOVA than go! I go to NYU and wish we were spoon fed info. Everything that goes on in lecture is fair game and you are never ever told what to study for. Just memorize everything in lecture! Our averages are usually in the 60s.
My friends at NOVA say it's pretty easy so hey, why not go there if you get in! Enjoy it because dental school isn't the easiest thing in the world, esp. during finals!
My friends say it's a cool school, but I wouldn't know because I do not attend it. Listen to the students that go to NOVA if you really want the truth. This is just what I heard.....

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
I don't think that ANY dental school is easy to get into. Some may be easier than others, but nothing is sure.

They were talking about nature of the school/workload/exams and not the admissions process.

toysareus said:
I have three friends that go to NOVA dental and have heard the same things.
They all say that they are spoon fed information and students average 80s.
If you can get into NOVA than go! I go to NYU and wish we were spoon fed info. Everything that goes on in lecture is fair game and you are never ever told what to study for. Just memorize everything in lecture! Our averages are usually in the 60s.
My friends at NOVA say it's pretty easy so hey, why not go there if you get in! Enjoy it because dental school isn't the easiest thing in the world, esp. during finals!
My friends say it's a cool school, but I wouldn't know because I do not attend it. Listen to the students that go to NOVA if you really want the truth. This is just what I heard.....

Question: I heard that NYU has no curve, and a 70 or higher is passing. So with an average of 60 on exams, how do the majority of the students pass?

They did have a curve until about a month ago.
So before, a 60 would be curved up.
If the averages continue being 60 than they will just fail a lot of students.
On our last exam though, the average was a 75 I think.....can't really remember, but it was a lot higher than usual.
Even with a curve in the science courses, usually 15-30 students would fail.
Without a curve, I have no idea what will happen....

You know, if Nova dental is so easy, then everyone would have cumulative GPA averages in the 90s, but reality sets in only the top 15% or so have a cumulative GPA in the 90s! Sure, to get in the 80s on an exam is not that hard, but that may explain why each Nova dental class has about 60 people out of 100 in the class are crammed together with their cumulative GPA averages in the 80s (80.00 - 89.99). For example, a Nova dental student can have a cumulative GPA of 84.5, he will be #56 or so in the class ranking out of 100. Lets say a Nova Dental student has an cumulative GPA average of 90.01, this particular student HAS to get a 90 in all exams, practicals, presentations, quizzes, competencies, clinical requirements and papers. I don't know about you, my friends, but maintaining a 90 cumulative GPA is not an "easy" task by all means!

Keep in mind, it's easy to get an 80 on an exam, but it is difficult to be in the Top 20. You must study! This is why specialties like Ortho, OMFS, and Endo look at Class Ranking! Class ranking will justify the easy grades that we supposely all get here at Nova Dental. Besides, isn't a good thing to keep students in school instead of failing students? Bottom line, Nova Dental provides a relaxing environment for student to learn the essentials to become a confident and competent future dentist where it has everything for you, the student, to do well on the NBDE Part 1 & 2 and pass the Florida State Licensure board in flying colors. In addition, Nova Dental has everything you need (research, organizations, opportunties, faculty support, etc.) to become a competitive applicant for Post-doctoral residency candidate, ONLY if you, the student, decide to seek it and take advantage of it (only those motivated and organized will succeed).

"Spoon feed you" to pass and get 80s, OK, I'll agree! "Spoon feed you" to get 90s on exams all the time, sorry brother, try another dental school!

Yah-E said:
You know, if Nova dental is so easy, then everyone would have cumulative GPA averages in the 90s, but reality sets in only the top 15% or so have a cumulative GPA in the 90s! Sure, to get in the 80s on an exam is not that hard, but that may explain why each Nova dental class has about 60 people out of 100 in the class are crammed together with their cumulative GPA averages in the 80s (80.00 - 89.99). For example, a Nova dental student can have a cumulative GPA of 84.5, he will be #56 or so in the class ranking out of 100. Lets say a Nova Dental student has an cumulative GPA average of 90.01, this particular student HAS to get a 90 in all exams, practicals, presentations, quizzes, competencies, clinical requirements and papers. I don't know about you, my friends, but maintaining a 90 cumulative GPA is not an "easy" task by all means!

Keep in mind, it's easy to get an 80 on an exam, but it is difficult to be in the Top 20. You must study! This is why specialties like Ortho, OMFS, and Endo look at Class Ranking! Class ranking will justify the easy grades that we supposely all get here at Nova Dental. Besides, isn't a good thing to keep students in school instead of failing students? Bottom line, Nova Dental provides a relaxing environment for student to learn the essentials to become a confident and competent future dentist where it has everything for you, the student, to do well on the NBDE Part 1 & 2 and pass the Florida State Licensure board in flying colors. In addition, Nova Dental has everything you need (research, organizations, opportunties, faculty support, etc.) to become a competitive applicant for Post-doctoral residency candidate, ONLY if you, the student, decide to seek it and take advantage of it (only those motivated and organized will succeed).

"Spoon feed you" to pass and get 80s, OK, I'll agree! "Spoon feed you" to get 90s on exams all the time, sorry brother, try another dental school!

Yah-E

Thanks for the objective response and the willingness to provide an unbiased response about one's own school. I know most people in these forums aren't courageous enough to criticize their own school.

But still, 60% scoring in the 80's is pretty darn good if you ask me. It means if you have no interest to specialize then Nova can be a great experience for a dental student. I know other schools in which passing is a huge endeavor let alone getting an 80%. However, I can see that being in the top 20% at Nova is a much more difficult task. I don't think there is anything wrong with this policy. I am much more critical of other schools that try to fail it's students out of maintaing some idealistc and elitist creed.

No more curves for us here at NYU and even though I did good on exams I'm getting worried. Makes me wish I would have jumped on the Nova band wagon since I just want to be a GP.

Hey Andy, talk to Su-ann and try to make an exception for a transfer :)

Isn't NOVA the new kid on the block? Consider this: What if these rumors were circulated by the school officials (just a theory, I'm not implying anything) to get more people to apply to their school?

I find it funny that anyone would consider ANY dental school easy. It's really easy to see if the rumors are true or not. Just compare their board scores to the national average. Standardized tests don't lie. You may need a few years to get a good picture of the whole issue but it will eventually show up...

I haven't heard such stories of Nova, but I think it gets its reputation for being easy cause it's a new school (newish?). I also had no idea Tufts was regarded as more difficult than other schools. I know clinically, it's a workload and comprehensive, but I never correlated that with more difficult.

honestpredent said:
But still, 60% scoring in the 80's is pretty darn good if you ask me. It means if you have no interest to specialize then Nova can be a great experience for a dental student. I know other schools in which passing is a huge endeavor let alone getting an 80%.

I was under the impression that 50-60% of the class scoring 80s is fairly normal (and gives a nice bell-type curve). It's a similar situation where I am. Moderate studying will get you an 80, but to get an "A" or be at the top of the class is another subject all together.

I can say that there is a huge bunching in the GPAs of my classmates and I around the 3.0-3.4 range--which corresponds directly with grades in the 80s.

I heard that NOVA students don't even go to class, and that when they do attend, it's held on the beach. Oh and I heard that they're not allowed to work with live patients... Can anyone validate this?

Hey Zurik5, you may joke around but your statement is partialy true. Ask some of the current 4th years that have to finsh their graduation requirement on a typodont.

This blows my mind, I brought this topic up a few months ago and everyone essentially said I was a liar. I told you my friend was telling me the truth.

But anyway, go where you think you will be happy.

Yah I was joking, I'm sure NOVA is a good school, and you'll get a fine education if you go there.

I knew you were joking.... :D that's why I didn't reply. We do, however, learn human anatomy on the beach though.... :love:

Zurik5 said:
Yah I was joking, I'm sure NOVA is a good school, and you'll get a fine education if you go there.

too bad I can't say the same of UIC dental school, no joke...

thisisit,

Why so?

Yah-E said:
I knew you were joking.... :D that's why I didn't reply. We do, however, learn human anatomy on the beach though.... :love:

Hahahaha :laugh:
I guess that's a plus at NOVA for the MEN!

Zurik5 said:
thisisit,

Why so?

just make sure you stick to principles of dentistry. My experience with UIC graduates has been that they get themselves into way too much trouble right out of school. This can hardly be blamed on the school but it seems that the graduates I have worked with seem to know it ALL. The 14 unit bridges, doing crown and bridge before the perio situation is addressed, doing sargente paste endo in the 90's, cantilever 2 teeth distally, extracting ( I should say trying)a complicated and impacted 3rd molar right out of school, placing ortho bands ( as a GP) on a patient with advanced perio, numerous perio surgery with disastrous results, doing high production procedures without respect for the right sequence are all examples I have come across.

I know it's not cool to generalize and it's not my intention to do so, but there is definitely something there to be said about the situations I've mentioned above ( I have a lot more examples). Just stick to the KISS ( keep it simple st...)rule and you'll be fine. Again, I'm sure UIC would give you as good of an education as the next dental school and I blame the situations above mostly on the individuals. I'm positive there are far more good dentists out of UIC than bad ones, I just haven't had the pleasure of working with them.

Zurik5 said:
I heard that NOVA students don't even go to class, and that when they do attend, it's held on the beach. Oh and I heard that they're not allowed to work with live patients... Can anyone validate this?

That's actually my school (minus the beach part--we just go to pools) according to several local sources.

Thisisit,

Thanks for the reply. I?ve worked with two UIC grads, they were both very good and did not try to go beyond their realm of comfort. Now, they both practice in Southern Illinois (read: below Champaign), so that may explain why they were not know it ALLs. Where do the graduates from UIC that you have experience with practice at? I?m guessing their location may explain their incompetence. Also, I?m assuming you?re from Chicago. Right now, I?m in the process of looking for an apartment in the Lakeview area. Do you think it would be too far from the school for a first year?

Ryan

thisisit said:
just make sure you stick to principles of dentistry. My experience with UIC graduates has been that they get themselves into way too much trouble right out of school. This can hardly be blamed on the school but it seems that the graduates I have worked with seem to know it ALL. The 14 unit bridges, doing crown and bridge before the perio situation is addressed, doing sargente paste endo in the 90's, cantilever 2 teeth distally, extracting ( I should say trying)a complicated and impacted 3rd molar right out of school, placing ortho bands ( as a GP) on a patient with advanced perio, numerous perio surgery with disastrous results, doing high production procedures without respect for the right sequence are all examples I have come across.

I know it's not cool to generalize and it's not my intention to do so, but there is definitely something there to be said about the situations I've mentioned above ( I have a lot more examples). Just stick to the KISS ( keep it simple st...)rule and you'll be fine. Again, I'm sure UIC would give you as good of an education as the next dental school and I blame the situations above mostly on the individuals. I'm positive there are far more good dentists out of UIC than bad ones, I just haven't had the pleasure of working with them.

Zurik5, I practice in the Chicago metro and my experience has been with in and around Chicago. As I said, if you stick to hat your ethics tell you is the right thing, you'll be OK. You can't teach that stuff in any school.

As far as apartment goes, you may pay a hefty price if you want to stay downtown or Lakeview. The distance is OK but I'd worry about the rent. If I were you I'd look into the Western suburbs like Oak Park, Berwyn, even Cicero. You can find pretty good apartments and they are priced reasonably. You'd be a train ride away from school and will save both on rent and parking. Unless you're rich... :smuggrin:

thisisit said:
Zurik5, I practice in the Chicago metro and my experience has been with in and around Chicago. As I said, if you stick to hat your ethics tell you is the right thing, you'll be OK. You can't teach that stuff in any school.

As far as apartment goes, you may pay a hefty price if you want to stay downtown or Lakeview. The distance is OK but I'd worry about the rent. If I were you I'd look into the Western suburbs like Oak Park, Berwyn, even Cicero. You can find pretty good apartments and they are priced reasonably. You'd be a train ride away from school and will save both on rent and parking. Unless you're rich... :smuggrin:

Rich... lol... right... Is the metro area pretty saturated with dentists?

ItsGavinC said:
Zurik, where ya been?!

Well, funny you should ask ;)

I got banned from here for posting pictures of blow up dolls, childish, I know... but I thought it was hillarious. Other than that, just enjoying my last months of freedom, and shadowing with various dentists on and off... I'm going to try and enjoy this summer as much as possible, because next year at this time I'll be in your shoes trying to get ready for part I. How's that going by the way?

I have come to realize that NO Dental School is easy.

Hey Guys, sorry to bring this up again but I was kinda upset that when I first mentioned this topic people said I was a liar. Well anyway, I'm in south FL now hanging out with my friend that is a NOVA D1 soon to be D2 and he showed me some exams. He has a copy of I guess exams for his second year because the one I looked at was a pharmocology exam. Here is a question from it although I forget the drug names:

Which of the following drugs is not part of the acronymn NAVEL:
a) A drug that started with the letter "N"
b) a drug that started with the letter "V"
c) a drug that started with the letter "P"
d) a drug that started with the letter "E"
e) a drug that started with the letter "L"

Again, there were specific drug names in the answer choices, but what a joke. Of course the answer is C because the letter "P" is not in NAVEL. I think I could have gotten a 75% on the exam without studying. I know students at other schools bust thier rear ends to get a C average, how does the ADA accredit schols???

Hey, I don't know how schools get accredited, but that got me to think.....can a school lose its accredidation?

dental2008 said:
Hey Guys, sorry to bring this up again but I was kinda upset that when I first mentioned this topic people said I was a liar. Well anyway, I'm in south FL now hanging out with my friend that is a NOVA D1 soon to be D2 and he showed me some exams. He has a copy of I guess exams for his second year because the one I looked at was a pharmocology exam. Here is a question from it although I forget the drug names:

Again, there were specific drug names in the answer choices, but what a joke. Of course the answer is C because the letter "P" is not in NAVEL. I think I could have gotten a 75% on the exam without studying. I know students at other schools bust thier rear ends to get a C average, how does the ADA accredit schols???

But is the rest of the exam like that? It's nice that you pick out a question that most likely was a give me. I would take a look at the rest of the exam but we don't have the old D-2 exams and so...I wonder how your friend got a hold of it so soon...I especially wonder how your friend has time to hang out with you especially when most of us are taking the boards in 2 weeks.

You keep saying your one friend here at Nova tells you this and that. Has it ever occurred to you that he is just one out of a class of 90+? You keep giving examples based on your friend (the one with the 2.9 and 17/16 DAT) and you just assume that he represents the rest of our class. Well he doesn't. You also make these generalized assumptions based on your friends information but you omit the reasoning behind it which puts everything in perspective...(like that part about D-4's having to finish up requirements on their typodont...what about mentioning that it was for root canals...and what about mentioning why they were short to begin with? or how about when you said that we had a patient pool problem...again you failed to mention that the D-4s had a shortage of patients with root canals and not that we were having problems as far as getting patients)...

I really don't know what your problem is with my school...No one has said that Nova is a perfect school or even the best dental school...(I know Nova is aiming to be the best) but as Yah-E said "It is you the student, ultimately, to make something out of it!"

Btw as far as your questions about the quality of our education and about being accredited just keep in mind that we all take the same boards and licensure exams.

Dental2008:

You might want to give this thread and your point a rest. I just took Pharm I & II and I never had that question. That question is ridiculous and pointless, and I sure don't remember that question in any of the Pharm test I took.

So even if my school is easy, what's your point? That Nova sucks? Nova is not a good school? Is my 90 on NBDE Part 1 easier than others too? You're right....how can I forget, I took the "special ed" version of the Part 1 too since I went to Nova. Man that test was easy, I had questions like:

How many amino acids are there?
1) 29
2) 24
3) 45
4) infinite
5) 20

How many teeth are there in the mouth?
1) 32
2) 24
3) 56
4) 18

dental2008 said:
I know students at other schools bust thier rear ends to get a C average, how does the ADA accredit schols???

I just love how pre-dents talk to a few people and then automatically think they can make statements like you do. NO ONE busts their rear ends in dental school and pulls a C average. If they do they are a ***** and you shouldn't listen to the crap they're telling you.

dental2008 said:

That's all well and good, I don't remember any questions like that on our Pharm exam, but I'm a D4 at NSU and he is a D2, so maybe he knows more...

Anyhoo, I think about 92% of the graduating class this year (unofficially) passed the Florida boards...That's been the talk around school. Granted I don't agree with a lot of what administration does sometimes, something must be working to pass that board exam like that. NSU is not the be-all, end-all of schools, but between this year and last year we have done really well on the Florida boards, which means there shouldn't be a board exam in the country that should give us too much trouble (except California)....

I don't know, to me it matters what I know about clinical dentistry and not about Krebs cycle, but that's the experience of a dental student talking...when I was a pre-dent I thought NBDE mattered a bunch, and it only does to the specialists...

Ron Burgundy said:
That's all well and good, I don't remember any questions like that on our Pharm exam, but I'm a D4 at NSU and he is a D2, so maybe he knows more...

Anyhoo, I think about 92% of the graduating class this year (unofficially) passed the Florida boards...That's been the talk around school. Granted I don't agree with a lot of what administration does sometimes, something must be working to pass that board exam like that. NSU is not the be-all, end-all of schools, but between this year and last year we have done really well on the Florida boards, which means there shouldn't be a board exam in the country that should give us too much trouble (except California)....

I don't know, to me it matters what I know about clinical dentistry and not about Krebs cycle, but that's the experience of a dental student talking...when I was a pre-dent I thought NBDE mattered a bunch, and it only does to the specialists...

Mr. Burgundy, do you have an announcement to make? :D

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
I just love how pre-dents talk to a few people and then automatically think they can make statements like you do. NO ONE busts their rear ends in dental school and pulls a C average. If they do they are a ***** and you shouldn't listen to the crap they're telling you.

Sorry Bud but you need to resend your statement. I for one bust my A$$ in dental school and have gotten close to getting a C. I am not a ***** and I had a 3.5 for my undergrad and a 3.8 for my masters. Dental school is harder than hell and atleast here at NYUCD you have to work hard for a C. Do not make it sound that every school is cake walk.

From what I am hearing from different people, some schools will give you a C and others make you work for it. I guess thats why NYU may have a high kick out rate bec kids just can't handle the load here. I know a classmate of mine lurks on here, so why don't you post of all the stuff they make us do.

dental2008 said:
I know students at other schools bust thier rear ends to get a C average, how does the ADA accredit schols???

The ADA grants accreditation based on content, NOT on difficulty. That is, difficulty does NOT equal valid content (often times poor content is extremely difficult).

And I don't know ANY school where students bust their rear ends to get a C average. I think you could just show up and pretty much get a C.