Is one week to short for shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bartzx3

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to a pos-bac in november/dec. I would like to get a letter of recommendation from a doctor. I have been email a lot of doctors asking if I can shadow them during this fall semester. Only one doc said he would have me. Problem is that he only wants me for a week. I was originally looking for a semester long experience. The reason why is because I don't want a generic letter of recommendation and my thinking is that if the doc gets to know me over the course of the semester he will have more meaningful things to say about me....And I did write about the post-bac and how I need a letter of recommendation, in my original email to him. I did that so he knows my intentions and there are no surprises when I ask for a rec. Should I go ahead and shadow him for a week, or am I wasting my time?.....And while we are the subject, when it comes time to ask the doc for a letter of recommendation, how do I convey the message that it needs to be strong and not a generic letter?

Members don't see this ad.

1 week is fine for shadowing. However, it is probably too short to get a substantial LOR.

I need to work on my reading comprehension lol.....I re-read the email from the doc I want to shadow. My brain read "we can do one a week shadowing for a semester" as "we can do a week of shadowing". I was nervous when I was opening the email so that's why I screwed up. Thanks @2claduva94 for your response, and I agree and its cool now that everything worked out.

Members don't see this ad :)