Is Part 2 The Easiest Exam Ever?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think for those of you who took it? I thought it was a simple exam especially when you just want to pass it (getting a 75)!

Advice for just aiming to pass:

Dental Decks and ASDA released exams are plenty (too much actually). For released exams just use the 1991 and 1993 exams and read the answer explanations thoroughly. For second day (cases), no need to study and kill yourself for this section since all cases are different, if you've treatment planned at your dental, then you'll do fine in this section.

Members don't see this ad.

did you have the paper exam?
the computer exam was horrible. the radiographs were unacceptably small and difficult to see; i honestly kept shaking my head in disbelief!

nghe.luu said:
did you have the paper exam?
the computer exam was horrible. the radiographs were unacceptably small and difficult to see; i honestly kept shaking my head in disbelief!

I took the Part 2 on computer. Yes, the radiographs are difficult to decepher, but it's still manageable! I simply stated that it's easy to pass if you only wanted to pass. To earn above 90s, I'm sure it can be more difficult. I studied for 4 hardcore days, 4 days! Didn't even read 3/4 of the dental decks.

If any of you simply just wanted to pass, then just read the 1991 and 1993 released exams and study Pharm and Pedo of the Dental Decks. Oh, on day 2 of the exam, 3-4 patient cases are Pedo cases out of 10 total cases. Know your Pedo!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah-E said:
I took the Part 2 on computer. Yes, the radiographs are difficult to decepher, but it's still manageable! I simply stated that it's easy to pass if you only wanted to pass. To earn above 90s, I'm sure it can be more difficult. I studied for 4 hardcore days, 4 days! Didn't even read 3/4 of the dental decks.

If any of you simply just wanted to pass, then just read the 1991 and 1993 released exams and study Pharm and Pedo of the Dental Decks. Oh, on day 2 of the exam, 3-4 patient cases are Pedo cases out of 10 total cases. Know your Pedo!

No, on YOUR test 3 or 4 of the cases were pedo. I took it this morning, and I had 1 pedo case. It depends on which randomly assigned exam you get, you should know that. My radiographs were not readable and were not able to be deiphered in most cases.

I do agree that if you just want to pass a few days of studying should do it.

I agree, Part II is easier than let's say part I just because it's more dentally related.
Most people will achieve a lower score on part II than part I though. I think that's because the curve is not in ur favor as more people will actually get the answers right on this exam.

Yah-E said:
What do you think for those of you who took it? I thought it was a simple exam especially when you just want to pass it (getting a 75)!

Advice for just aiming to pass:

Dental Decks and ASDA released exams are plenty (too much actually). For released exams just use the 1991 and 1993 exams and read the answer explanations thoroughly. For second day (cases), no need to study and kill yourself for this section since all cases are different, if you've treatment planned at your dental, then you'll do fine in this section.

It is a joke. I lost my dental decks in the detroit airport and only studied for 2 days and did as well statistically on part II as I did on part I. BTW the average is 5 points lower.... If you skim the decks 1 time it wil be more than adequate to pass.

ItsGavinC said:
I'm hoping it's easy! :D

Man, me too. Alot of students at AZ are a little nervous because we haven't had a written test since last May. I am pretty sure it will be fine though.

chidentist said:
I actually thought Part I was easier than Part II. But thats just me....

I've finally got my scores for part II back, so I can comment now.
I think that Part II is tougher to do "well" on. Even after studying the decks thoroughly, and doing tons of old exams, the questions that I got were really random. That being said, Part II is probably easier to Pass without studying much.

My advice: If you don't have a lot of time to study, maximize your score by studying the pharmacology cards well. I got LOTS of drug questions on both days, especially ones about interactions between one drug with another. The other section I would study well is the oral pathology.

Dentoman said:
I agree, Part II is easier than let's say part I just because it's more dentally related.
Most people will achieve a lower score on part II than part I though. I think that's because the curve is not in ur favor as more people will actually get the answers right on this exam.

I agree about the curve--a 90 score on part II is in the 98th%; and 95 on part I is in the 98%. More scores clustered about the mean on part II than part I. Still, part II seemed to me much easier (i.e. necessitated much less studying) than part I.

Miss Mammelon said:
Even after studying the decks thoroughly, and doing tons of old exams, the questions that I got were really random.

I've heard that comment quite a bit, which is why it seems either you know it or you don't, and studying doesn't help much with most of the random questions.

ItsGavinC said:
I've heard that comment quite a bit, which is why it seems either you know it or you don't, and studying doesn't help much with most of the random questions.

Exactly.