Is postposting interview to late November a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Choсolate

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a medical school interview in one week, and I absolutely do not feel ready. I believe that the school does rolling admissions. How bad do you think it would be to postpone my interview to the next available slot in late November or should I try to stick with what I have?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a medical school interview in one week, and I absolutely do not feel ready. I believe that the school does rolling admissions. How bad do you think it would be to postpone my interview to the next available slot in late November or should I try to stick with what I have?

Why do you think you are not ready? What is it that you need a month to prepare for?

Reactions: 1 user
Moving to pre-med.

It is objectively suboptimal to push back an interview when a school is rolling admissions, and I’m not sure what you think you would do in one month to get ready that you can’t do in one week. That said, if you have good reason to believe that you’ll do better in a month (ie, recent death in family, other personal life crisis), then you should do what you need to do.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a sole MMI interview format, and I have very little practice regarding such types of interviews. I just don't feel that one week would be enough to impress the evaluators as this is also my first "real" interview with a school.

It's a sole MMI interview format, and I have very little practice regarding such types of interviews. I just don't feel that one week would be enough to impress the evaluators as this is also my first "real" interview with a school.

I think 99% of people over think interviews. When you stop looking about how to perfectly script your answers to what you think, or others say, is the perfect response then you will perform so much better during your interviews. My best piece of advice is to literally just be yourself and pretend it’s a normal conversation. In reality, these interviews are used to see if you’re a normal person and if you have any glaring red flags.

Reactions: 9 users
This should have been part of your research while making your school list. You should be working on mock interviews during your application process.

We have a lot of articles about MMI format, and there is a lot of info on the internet over the decade since MMI first appeared. Your school should give you some information and the old threads here could help you. What are you most worried about?

Reactions: 1 users

It is a very unusual format that in some ways is intended to make you uncomfortable, waiting longer isn’t going to make you more comfortable. . A week is plenty of time to prepare. There is nothing you will learn in a month that you couldn’t learn in a week.

Reactions: 8 users
It is a very unusual format that in some ways is intended to make you uncomfortable, waiting longer isn’t going to make you more comfortable. . A week is plenty of time to prepare. There is nothing you will learn in a month that you couldn’t learn in a week.
I agree, in fact, practicing for a month may actually hurt you if you come off as rehearsed. Just my thoughts.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
OP, I agree with @GoSpursGo . My goal at an interview is to see if I can get authentic responses, not canned ones or what someone thinks I want to hear. I would ask an open ended question at the end of the interview, and then proceed to take the opposite view and argue with the candidate to encourage the most authentic response. This might take someone outside their comfort zone. There are no right or wrong answers, but I want to hear what the applicant truly thinks. I believe MMI does the same thing. Don't cancel, just do you.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users