Is primase referred to as DNA primase or RNA primase?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avery07

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is probably quite trivial in regards to the DAT but is the primase in DNA replication referred to as DNA primase or RNA primase.

The slides from my genetics class show that it is called DNA primase but then harvard has this fancy animation of DNA replication in which they call it RNA primase.

Anyone know for certain?

Members don't see this ad.

dna primers are used in vitro and rna primers are used in vivo, and i think it is dna primase which lays down a rna primer.

Last edited:
DNA replication needs a primer that is made by a primase. The primer is made out of RNA and then is converted to DNA after new strand has been synthesized. The is no primer needed for RNA polymerase to make mRNA.
Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
DNA replication needs a primer that is made by a primase. The primer is made out of RNA and then is converted to DNA after new strand has been synthesized. The is no primer needed for RNA polymerase to make mRNA.
Hope this helps.

I understand the roles of Primer and when it is used but my concern is the specific name of it-- whether it be RNA Primer or DNA Primer as I've seen it called both now. Both referring to the Primer used in DNA Replication.

I've let go of this question now. It is pointless for the DAT and IMO both of them refer to the same thing.

Well... PCR method uses DNA primers (cause they are a little more stable than RNA primers)

In real cell under replication, (you already know what im about to say) DNA polymerase needs a primer to start working (the primer is RNA)

So to your original question, it depends on context, if they are referring about a research, chances are its DNA primer (PCR), if its in vivo, then its probably talking about natural DNA replication

Well... PCR method uses DNA primers (cause they are a little more stable than RNA primers)

In real cell under replication, (you already know what im about to say) DNA polymerase needs a primer to start working (the primer is RNA)

So to your original question, it depends on context, if they are referring about a research, chances are its DNA primer (PCR), if its in vivo, then its probably talking about natural DNA replication

Wouldn't they just call it taq Polymerase?

taq polymerase is from bacteria thermus aquaticus or something like that. It is more heat stable, which in pcr gets around 95 degrees C. It is a DNA poly but specifically its taq poly. I think that you have it. just remember in vitro use DNA primers (forward and reverse if you didnt know) and in vivo use RNA primers.