Is psychiatry a science of lies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Didn't read it but will take the time to read the above. I can tell you this. Even if the study was fabricated, I've seen psychiatrists so bad they would've replicated the results in their own units.

Because all things tie together and this is a "is psychiatry a science of lies" thread, I will also point out the double standard of the existence of Rosenhan... we've all seen folks with PNES on AEDs, I've seen people get a cardiac cath without positive trops or EKG changes based on sx alone, a gallizon people successfully malinger chronic pain for opioids and "medical" mj, there are stories of parents who get their kids feeding tubes for GI/onc disorders that they don't have (some malingered, some facticious)... the list goes on... and because a few psychiatists allegedly missidentify malingered symptoms it's taken as an indictment of the field...

Perhaps I should approach the IRB about a project titled "Being healthy in unhealthy places."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Oh no!
First the Stanford Prison Experiment, now this! I’m starting to think that we should just assume every flashy psychology experimental finding is bogus until proven otherwise.
Notice that you are mentioning mostly social psychology experiments.

Reactions: 1 user
At least Stanley Milgram's obedience experiments still hold up pretty well, even if they are probably over-interpreted a lot of the time. He carried out multiple experiments with systematic parametric variation and got pretty similar results across all of them, which some may recognize as "basically what experimental science is supposed to be." They also fit much better into a behaviorist methodological paradigm, in sharp contrast to his later "six degrees of separation work", which is much more like social psychology pre-replication crisis and thus a dog's breakfast methodologically.