Is Psychology More an Art or a Science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The more philosophy courses that I took, the more I realized that there really is nothing that qualifies as anything. I remember one philosophy class where we were talking about cogito ergo sum as being the conclusion that the only thing that is verifiable is that because I think, I exist or something to that effect. Then the next week we learned that wasn't really true either so in actuality, I don't exist either. :eek:
Yes, I took a philosophy of the mind class and that was really confusing. Like, we don't even know if consciousness exists. Haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I took a philosophy of the mind class and that was really confusing. Haha.
I'm pretty sure that you don't exist either. :confused:
It sort of reminds me of when I was taking calculus in my first year of undergrad and they started talking about dividing infinity with imaginary numbers. o_O
Then there's my sister who majored in philosophy in undergrad and then obtained a Master's in mathematics education so she could teach high school kids their favorite subject - math. Trust me, no psychologist will ever be able to figure her out. :D It can be fun to talk to her at times though if I am in the right frame of mind.

Psychology is a science, but one that could always use a bit of creative approach.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that psychotherapy is a technology based on scientific research. If you replace science with psychological science here - http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0048733394010013 , you will understand what I mean. Art or intuition plays a part, especially when experienced person is doing it, but every step should be supported by evidence on some level. Of course, methods that we use in counseling imply using our personality as an instrument, so empathy, creativity and intuition do play a role. If you really want to integrate art into your therapeutic approach, use art therapy or give your patient something like this to color - http://colorkid.net/coloring-pages-world-animals/coloring-pages-underwater-world But that is probably not what you meant. I think that often people encounter some enjoyable and interesting practices and want to apply them in therapy, despite the lack of evidence for their effectiveness. And then they start talking about psychological truth of their experience and how psychotherapy is more art than science. Sometimes it is just better to let it go.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that psychotherapy is a technology based on scientific research. If you replace science with psychological science here - http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0048733394010013 , you will understand what I mean. Art or intuition plays a part, especially when experienced person is doing it, but every step should be supported by evidence on some level. Of course, methods that we use in counseling imply using our personality as an instrument, so empathy, creativity and intuition do play a role. If you really want to integrate art into your therapeutic approach, use art therapy or give your patient something like this to color - http://colorkid.net/coloring-pages-world-animals/coloring-pages-underwater-world But that is probably not what you meant. I think that often people encounter some enjoyable and interesting practices and want to apply them in therapy, despite the lack of evidence for their effectiveness. And then they start talking about psychological truth of their experience and how psychotherapy is more art than science. Sometimes it is just better to let it go.
Just to add to what you're saying, one way of dealing with therapeutic pursuits is to reconcile that psychology does have the evidence to demonstrate effectiveness of many of these activities. Engaging in pleasurable activities has been demonstrated to increase mood, some activities help to regulate our CNS arousal, some focus our awareness on our physical, mental, and emotional state, petting a purring cat or riding a horse has benefits, spiritual and religious coping has literature to support efficacy for some. The list could go on and on. The underlying mechanisms of why these activities provide benefit is often well understood.

Just to add to what you're saying, one way of dealing with therapeutic pursuits is to reconcile that psychology does have the evidence to demonstrate effectiveness of many of these activities. Engaging in pleasurable activities has been demonstrated to increase mood, some activities help to regulate our CNS arousal, some focus our awareness on our physical, mental, and emotional state, petting a purring cat or riding a horse has benefits, spiritual and religious coping has literature to support efficacy for some. The list could go on and on. The underlying mechanisms of why these activities provide benefit is often well understood.

+1. And part of what makes psychology a science is that it's sought to systematically evaluate if each of these things does indeed provide a measurable benefit, and if so, then how, in what areas, and with what types of patients/conditions/settings.

Reactions: 1 user
+1. And part of what makes psychology a science is that it's sought to systematically evaluate if each of these things does indeed provide a measurable benefit, and if so, then how, in what areas, and with what types of patients/conditions/settings.
Exactly. For example, the literature on religiosity is quite complex and fascinating for me because at times it can provide a psychological benefit and at others it can be the source of psychological problems. Also, there are so many ways top operationally define and different factors to look at such as social involvement, meditative practices, altruism and then the more negative aspects such as exclusion, prohibition effects, shame, etc. I see these dynamics play out quite frequently in treatment and am grateful that one of my electives in the doctoral program was from an expert in this field.