Is Public Health Right for me?

superman007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, Im an upcoming freshman at UNC. Im majoring in Comp Sci but i will be on the pre med track. I definitely want to be part of global health in the future. So, my question is: would getting a BS in PH be a good idea? Is it common to have doctors getting a BSPH. Im hoping that it would be common.

Also, is there a specific concentration that is generally preferred compared to others such as epidemiology or biostatistics?

Thanks, Im very new to how all these Pre-Health fields work. So, sorry if i seem kind of lost.

Members don't see this ad.

You major/degree in college has little to no effect on your medical school application. What is MUCH more important is that you choose something you like and then do well in it. My medical class has people who majored in biology, English, sports therapy, and music, to name a few. Just pick something that interests you, do well, and be sure to take the pre-requisites for medical school.

Carolina has one of the best schools of public health in the country, so you're at a GREAT place for it. you may find as a premed that it would allow you some interesting research opportunities (esp epidemiology). i think you would get some good perspectives from public health that could be very useful in medicine. but the MOST important thing is to major in something you enjoy, so try it out and see if you do!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, According to me Public health is a field that offers an abundance of job opportunities to suit a variety of interests and skills. Whether you are more interested in crunching numbers, conducting research, or working with people, there is a place for you in the field of public health. Recent college graduates and those that have been in the field for years have something to offer and to gain in this field.

there are so many fields within public health. My aunt is a physician who works in public health in saudi arabia. her specialty is called "preventative medicine." supposedly it is big in the third world. there are tons of opportunities for doctors to get into ph. I will probably also be doing a BS in public health at my uni.

if you can get into researching in the unc public health dept, you will probably love it.

I am a pre-med getting a bs in public health. I think it is a good background to have. If you become a doctor you can probably work in public health without a public health degree, but the background will give you a leg up. It may also give you an advantage if you want to get an MPH.

Like was said, the field is so broad that it gives you a lot of opportunities for research. I like the fact that something you work on could affect a large number of people.

lol. how many times have you changed your major?

approximately 4 haha. I had a list of possibilities that I kept switching between. No time lost = no foul.