Is quitting my dental job a bad idea...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skedaddle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Looking for some advice...obviously. I've been out of scool 2 years coming up this June. I'm applying in June. I've had a job at a non-profit dental clinic giving free dental care (as well as medical and vision, mental health, etc) for the last 3.5 years. For the first 3 I was an admin manager doing assisting as well. Now I'm the dental manager and I'm in charge of the dental clinic here. I coordinate volunteers, schedule, assist, take care of the equipment, put together stats for grant purposes, etc etc.

I'm starting to get really bored here as it's only ever been 10-15 hrs per week, and some days it's like an hour and a half drive up. We only have providers come in 3-4 times per month, and it's keeping me back from getting a full time assisting gig, or just a job out of the field that pays more. I make ~15/hr.

I now have over 1500 hrs of dental (in 3.5 years of working, that's not great..), and I'm thinking some variety may look good on an application. I did have an assisting/sterilization tech job part time, for about 150 hrs, but I had to quit for school.

Should I move on and look for variety/study/ work and study, or keep my mostly desk job here as it probably looks great on my resume?

*note: we are expanding in May, but it'll probably get pushed back. It's been pushed back 3-4 times since last year. I'm supposed to be a secondary assistant when the new office opens and we have a full time provider on staff, rather than 3-4 volunteers 1x/month. That sounds like a lot of sterilizing to me...they will be hiring an EFDA and I'll be working under him/her. But being able to say you helped birth a new clinic wouldn't be half bad, either :)

Members don't see this ad.

Do whatever will make you the most happy mentally and financially.

Reactions: 1 users
When do you plan on applying for dental school? (Assuming that's what you're going to school for)
A variety of jobs is always a good thing for your resume. I feel you have a very valid reason of leaving that job so it shouldn't be a problem when it comes up during an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I've been dead on here. No excuses.

Yes, i plan to apply to dental school. I'm applying this cycle.

I had a 3.4 my during my undergrad in bio, with about 3.3 as sGPA. I think I need more variety though with volunteering. I don't think I need to shadow since my job did that for me with multiple providers.

Go and be well rounded!