Is the AMA membership worth it ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted310399

Hello there ,

I am a PGY-4 resident in Psychiatry. Recently the AMA has started sending me 2-3 emails per week asking me to be a member. This might be because I recently got my unrestricted state license as they have never sent me emails in the previous 3 years. I have gotten many " membership dues notices " from them but I usually ignore them.

I guess some programs pay for their residents to be members of such organizations but mine does not.
45 $/year is not a huge amount of money but I want to make sure the membership is actually worth it.
Should I wait till after residency ?

Any thoughts/ suggestions / comments ?

Members don't see this ad.

My dues were paid during my residency. I used anything they offered 0 times during those 4 years. When I left residency, I got stuff to renew my membership, and I called and asked them to remove me from their list. I haven't missed it at all.

No, its very expensive and the one time I needed them they wouldn't step up...google AMA and Sunbeam if you haven't ever heard about that one, its a good laugh

No, its very expensive and the one time I needed them they wouldn't step up...google AMA and Sunbeam if you haven't ever heard about that one, its a good laugh

AMA is not for doctors. At least not practicing docs. They sold us down the river with obamacare

Reactions: 1 users
You should join once and then never renew. That way you can get deceptive mailings 4x per week from them for the remainder of your life. Which you can use to fill your recycling bin, and make you feel like you're a good citizen.

Bonus points if your spouse is also a physician. Boy, look at that recycling bin fill up! Really doing our part. PROTECT GAIA.

Seriously though, why would you ever join again after you see how much money they are blowing on these mailings? Yeah, I'm going to renew my membership so you can use that money to badger people for their entire professional careers.

Reactions: 1 users