Is the Berkeley review a good choice for someone with a weak science background?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulUnderdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the Berkeley review covered everything? I heard that they did but I wasn't too sure in what manner? For instance, in the Kaplan books they sometimes mention things like you already know about it or learned about it and have a good understanding about stuff. Does the Berkeley review not assume this? And try to help with everything like, walking you through step by step? If not, does anyone know any prep book set that does?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes they do, but up to a certain point. I recommend them, as they teach you few tricks and short cuts to save time, and their questions are passage-based. If you're unsure about the depth of their review for specific subjects, you could order one book and see for yourself before ordering the complete set.
Btw, if Kaplan books cover the MCAT material in detail, why don't you go with that?

It is pretty thorough, but I feel that it is geared more towards someone with a good background that wants detail. It'll certainly give you good information (more than any other company), but it will give you way more than you absolutely need to know. It may be frustrating if most of the material is new/unfamiliar to you because it can overwhelm you.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by a "weak science background?"

In most cases, I would NOT recommend studying each topic in The Berkeley Review. That would take forever! And Berkeley Review can be overkill. That being said, using Berkeley Review ONLY for your weakest subjects, followed by Examkrackers 1001 questions is an excellent way to turn a worst subject into a very good subject.

Try to balance out the time you take on Berkeley Review, by using a more concise study method on your better subjects.