Is the difficulty of getting into med school overhyped?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
30+ schools? Isn't that just a little crazy? Is more than 15 really necessary?

For low stat people and even average people who don't have an easy state school to go to, no it's not crazy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For low stat people and even average people who don't have an easy state school to go to, no it's not crazy, it's smart, and you can find out if it's necessary. See, this is where being naive comes into play and where you don't believe when the premed advisor tells you the truth. I applied to 32 schools, 10 interviews, thought I crushed them all, 2 acceptances so far, though I did withdraw from most places after those 2 so I don't know if I'd have been accepted or not. Point is, if I didn't apply to those 2 schools, I could easily have applied to 30 schools, flown around the country for 8 interviews and STILL have no acceptances. 1 of my 2 acceptances I added to AMCAS on a whim after I submitted. First time I applied to 8 schools, 5 interviews, 5 waitlists. The 2nd time I applied, I went all in. I have one huge thing holding me back in a low undergrad GPA, but the strategy of casting a wide net works. Shotgun approach.

edit: another pro tip, during interviews, they will ask you where did you apply and where else are you interviewing. It is in your best interest to not feel pressured to be honest here. Have specific reasons that don't dont apply to any other school why you applied there. Tell them they are your first choice. Don't tell them you are interviewing at 10 schools including their top ranked rival.

Here's a question: do schools have any way of knowing how many other schools you applied to? If so, can they tell which ones?

Here's a question: do schools have any way of knowing how many other schools you applied to? If so, can they tell which ones?

No. No. They can only see where you've been accepted if they accept you.

Members don't see this ad :)
For low stat people and even average people who don't have an easy state school to go to, no it's not crazy, it's smart, and you can find out if it's necessary. See, this is where being naive comes into play and where you don't believe when the premed advisor tells you the truth. I applied to 32 schools, 10 interviews, thought I crushed them all, 2 acceptances so far, though I did withdraw from most places after those 2 so I don't know if I'd have been accepted or not. Point is, if I didn't apply to those 2 schools, I could easily have applied to 30 schools, flown around the country for 8 interviews and STILL have no acceptances. 1 of my 2 acceptances I added to AMCAS on a whim after I submitted. First time I applied to 8 schools, 5 interviews, 5 waitlists. The 2nd time I applied, I went all in. I have one huge thing holding me back in a low undergrad GPA, but the strategy of casting a wide net works. Shotgun approach.

edit: another pro tip, during interviews, they will ask you where did you apply and where else are you interviewing. It is in your best interest to not feel pressured to be honest here. Have specific reasons that don't dont apply to any other school why you applied there. Tell them they are your first choice. Don't tell them you are interviewing at 10 schools including their top ranked rival.

I understand what you're saying. I'll probably be spending my parents money on the application process in all honesty though, so cost is a factor.

No. No. They can only see where you've been accepted if they accept you.

After around February schools that have accepted you can see where you've been accepted to, after around April everywhere you've applied can see where you are accepted. that's all they can see.

Frankly, I think that applying to 30 schools is a huge waste of money and your time. If you apply wisely and with precision, you will have more time to devote to writing excellent secondaries and rested and lively enough to do well in the interviews. (Sounding rehearsed -- which you will be after answering the same question 12 times -- is not a plus.)

Depends on your stats and depends on what state you live in. If you check some of the ratio to app/interview I think you will find the average approaching 15 at least. You would rather over apply than have to repeat the cycle again.

I applied to 20 with high MCAT, low GPA, and great EC's. FL resident.

Depends on your stats and depends on what state you live in. If you check some of the ratio to app/interview I think you will find the average approaching 15 at least. You would rather over apply than have to repeat the cycle again.

I applied to 20 with high MCAT, low GPA, and great EC's. FL resident.
For competitive residencies, it isn't unheard of for people to apply to 30+ programs. Data from the NRMP suggests that ranking more programs seemed to correlate with better chance of matching (~80% matched who ranked ~12 programs and ~90% matched who ranked ~17 programs for US seniors). Of course, what this means for the medical school application isn't clear. Where is the inflection point beyond which there isn't any further benefit to pushing your 3.5 GPA / 30 MCAT to every medical school in the country? I'm not sure that anyone really knows this until they have the benefit of hindsight. Thus, I would err on the side of caution.

average and above can afford to apply to 15 schools. if you're below average, your chances of getting in are a lot lower since over half the people who apply don't get a spot. you don't want to be in the unenviable position of reapplying which would waste a year and much more money on applications. it's better to maximize your chances and get all those applications in rather than applying to 15 schools the first year, getting rejected and then applying to 15 or more the year after. (some people even have three or more cycles before they get in or give up)

average and above can afford to apply to 15 schools. if you're below average, your chances of getting in are a lot lower since over half the people who apply don't get a spot. you don't want to be in the unenviable position of reapplying which would waste a year and much more money on applications. it's better to maximize your chances and get all those applications in rather than applying to 15 schools the first year, getting rejected and then applying to 15 or more the year after. (some people even have three or more cycles before they get in or give up)

Alright. I may qualify for the reduced application fee since I think my Mom makes less than 300% of the poverty level, so I'll look into that. If I do qualify, then I can basically apply to as many New York schools as I want and it wouldnt be too expensive since I wouldn't have to spend money on travel. That said I think New York schools are some of the most competitive.

I think this is a safe assumption based on my experience at undergrad. There were a lot of 3.75+, 32+ folks at my schools (hell, our average MCAT among all students to this day is a 32) and many of them wrote a list of med schools to apply to that went like this:
- Yale
- Harvard
- John Hopkins
- UPenn
- Stanford
- My state school as a safety (so I'll half ass the secondary).

Needless to say, a good portion of them had to re-apply. I'm actually surprised only 20% of people with strong numbers don't make it somewhere. Based on poor choices of where to apply, cockiness and no prior clinical experience, I'd think it would be higher (closer to 35-40%).

This is a good point. But what to make of the ~20% of people with strong numbers (3.75+, 32+) who don't get accepted anywhere? Can you assume they have zero clinical experience or only applied to the top five schools or just got really unlucky?

I didn't read every post but this thread is funny to me. "Just score a 35+ and you get in easy". I'd say that the amcas process is just tedious and annoying rather than difficult and the waiting is nerve racking. I would say the difficulty is what it is. The MCAT is hard and you get what you get. People that score below a 27 often don't even apply if they don't want the D.O. route so there goes a good chunk right there. Then you take away the people that scored 30 or less but apply to the wrong schools and there goes another chunk of people.

I think this is a safe assumption based on my experience at undergrad. There were a lot of 3.75+, 32+ folks at my schools (hell, our average MCAT among all students to this day is a 32) and many of them wrote a list of med schools to apply to that went like this:
- Yale
- Harvard
- John Hopkins
- UPenn
- Stanford
- My state school as a safety (so I'll half ass the secondary).

Needless to say, a good portion of them had to re-apply. I'm actually surprised only 20% of people with strong numbers don't make it somewhere. Based on poor choices of where to apply, cockiness and no prior clinical experience, I'd think it would be higher (closer to 35-40%).

Which is why I came up with the LizzyM score. When I first arrived here, I saw a lot of that sort of thing and tried to find a way for students to better target their applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which is why I came up with the LizzyM score. When I first arrived here, I saw a lot of that sort of thing and tried to find a way for students to better target their applications.

How do you calculate a LizzyM score?

GPA (10) + MCAT. Compare to avg gpa(10)+ avg (MCAT) for your target school.

Ah, makes sense. So then you'd say that GPA and MCAT are roughly equally important? What about the difference between cGPA and sGPA?

If only it were as easy as getting a 35 on the MCAT teehee check out the panic thread

Ah, makes sense. So then you'd say that GPA and MCAT are roughly equally important? What about the difference between cGPA and sGPA?

For each of the questions you've raised in this thread, there are dozens of individual threads with well thought out answers. Please make better use of the search function. Pretty please.

It's not overhyped--it's very hard, and the process is unpredictable. I have a 72 LizzyM score, applied early and broadly, have decent ECs, which should put me into an MD school. I'm currently sitting on eight waitlists, and have only gotten into a DO school.

So just obtaining X MCAT, Y GPA, and Z hours of ECs, will not automatically guarantee you a spot.

Frankly, I think that applying to 30 schools is a huge waste of money and your time. If you apply wisely and with precision, you will have more time to devote to writing excellent secondaries and rested and lively enough to do well in the interviews. (Sounding rehearsed -- which you will be after answering the same question 12 times -- is not a plus.)

for people with low to average stats it really becomes a situation of applying consertatively to save money while risking reapplication vs applying broadly and wasting money but less risk of reapplying.. It's hard to to predict who is going to like your app.

For competitive residencies, it isn't unheard of for people to apply to 30+ programs. Data from the NRMP suggests that ranking more programs seemed to correlate with better chance of matching (~80% matched who ranked ~12 programs and ~90% matched who ranked ~17 programs for US seniors). Of course, what this means for the medical school application isn't clear. Where is the inflection point beyond which there isn't any further benefit to pushing your 3.5 GPA / 30 MCAT to every medical school in the country? I'm not sure that anyone really knows this until they have the benefit of hindsight. Thus, I would err on the side of caution.

Exactly, and I've lived it. My first application to a smaller group of schools was unsuccessful, so I increased my chances by applying to more schools the second time around. It paid off for me.

I just wish that people with low to average stats would save time and money and not apply until their applications were stronger. Sending scattershot applications with the hope of one hitting the target at least once is emotionally and financially wearing and, I think, unnecessary if people would face facts.

And I don't think that applying to more places helps the second time around... I think for some people, the application is better written and more comprehensive the second time around and the interviews are more polished.

Reactions: 1 user
I just wish that people with low to average stats would save time and money and not apply until their applications were stronger. Sending scattershot applications with the hope of one hitting the target at least once is emotionally and financially wearing and, I think, unnecessary if people would face facts.

And I don't think that applying to more places helps the second time around... I think for some people, the application is better written and more comprehensive the second time around and the interviews are more polished.

Do you mean average as in the average stats of the schools' matriculants? Or average as in the average stats of applicants (high 20s MCAT, 3.5ish GPA)?

Do you mean average as in the average stats of the schools' matriculants? Or average as in the average stats of applicants (high 20s MCAT, 3.5ish GPA)?

Below the average stats of all applicants.... I mean, if you are in that group with a likelihood of admission based on gpa & MCAT of <25%, unless you have something fabulous on your application that should place you among the lucky 25% (or 15% or 10% for your stats), then don't even get in the game. Wouldn't it be a hoot if the number of people applying with high 20 MCAT and 3.5-ish gpa were very small and a huge proportion of them were admitted because they were strong in other ways? :eek:

Below the average stats of all applicants.... I mean, if you are in that group with a likelihood of admission based on gpa & MCAT of <25%, unless you have something fabulous on your application that should place you among the lucky 25% (or 15% or 10% for your stats), then don't even get in the game. Wouldn't it be a hoot if the number of people applying with high 20 MCAT and 3.5-ish gpa were very small and a huge proportion of them were admitted because they were strong in other ways? :eek:

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification :thumbup:

It's not overhyped--it's very hard, and the process is unpredictable. I have a 72 LizzyM score, applied early and broadly, have decent ECs, which should put me into an MD school. I'm currently sitting on eight waitlists, and have only gotten into a DO school.

So just obtaining X MCAT, Y GPA, and Z hours of ECs, will not automatically guarantee you a spot.

I had a friend with a LizzyM of 68, ORM, a small amount of clinical and volunteering experience, and two years of research experience. He applied to three schools (one MD/PhD), applied really late (October), crapped out his PS and other essays in less than a night, his LORs were likely lukewarm, and he was a reapplicant. He got waitlisted at all three schools and was eventually accepted to one.

Granted n = 1, but there are med schools out there with average GPAs of 3.5 to 3.6 and average MCATs below 30, so I like to think his experience wasn't terribly abnormal.

For each of the questions you've raised in this thread, there are dozens of individual threads with well thought out answers. Please make better use of the search function. Pretty please.

If every thread/question had to be completely original, there would be almost no new threads. Get over yourself.

Did you apply widely (to schools with the higher acceptance rates) and early?

I can't change the past no matter how much I improve and the past will haunt me no matter what. I did wait until my application was stronger the second time around, but why would I risk being waitlisted again? If you think that sending scattershot applications is emotionally and financially wearing. What do you think going through the application process and getting waitlisted is then? It would be stupid to risk that again or even in the first place in hindsight. What you describe can easily waist your time and money more than what I describe. Maybe it was just that my app was written better and I interviewed better the second time around, I probably didn't need to apply to that many, but the reality is if I didn't include 2 schools I would have 0 acceptances. I could never have predicted those 2 schools. I guess I sort of just applied my craps strategy from vegas and covered the table. the shotgun approach is not that wearing. It's more wearing to do what LizzyM says and get waitlisted and have to do it over.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't your LizzyM score apply to the subsections of the MCAT?

For example, someone with a 7 in a subsection score and 14's in the others?

it's just your gpa and mcat, why do you need a separate score to look at your subsections?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why doesn't your LizzyM score apply to the subsections of the MCAT?

For example, someone with a 7 in a subsection score and 14's in the others?

A quick, handy rule of thumb isn't really meant to apply to extremely rare circumstances.

Okay, so I'm looking at this chart https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/2012factstable24.pdf

It doesn't take EC's into account, but if you have a 3.5 and a 34 MCAT score (I don't have either of these, but if I had to estimate what I would have at the time of application, it would probably be around this) you have a 65% chance of getting in.

Overall, of course, acceptance rates are 9%, but perhaps this is because a lot of applicants really just aren't very serious about it?

You should ignore people on here when they challenge you about your abilities. Before I took the MCAT I was aiming for a 35+ score and I am sure people on here would have loled at that statement.

You know yourself better than random people on the internet. If you know you can do it, then go study hard and accomplish it.

Just because they couldn't accomplish something, don't let them make you believe that you won't.

no, clinical experience is more important, but it will be a chink in the armor they will pry at during interviews.

This (although I was only asked once about my lack of research experience and I was honest and said I had no interest in research and that I wanted to be a clinician) ,

now my rant:

granted my stats weren't ROCKSTAR, but they were still decent (below 3.5 GPA and below 3.4 ScienceGPA) but I applied with a masters and an above 95 percentile MCAT. I have "only" gotten one acceptance (though I did receive 6 II, mostly at schools that were "lower" on my list but I was smart enough to include them).

I went to an interview at a good school and when I was talking about my application my interview mentioned 5 things that particular school checked off on applications
1.) GPA
2.)MCAT
3.)Research
4.)clinical shadowing/experience
5.) Application/PS (I think, couldn't remember the 5th).

I was a humanities major who did not start taking science classes until end of sophomore year so I never did research (also I am just not interested in research). I suspect this hurt me much more than I thought it would with many schools. My parents are also both physicians and I have volunteered in hospital/clinic settings (usually as an adjunct quasi CHW), but never (formally) shadowed a physician, I used to "shadow" my father when I was younger all the time but that doesn't count. I felt it was superfluous since, at least I think, I have a pretty good grasp on what it means to be a physician and the time/sacrifices that need to be made. but the lack of shadowing on my application was another red flag that, looking back on it, was something I could have easily fixed to make myself more competitive.

I think the biggest thing I learned from this experience is ask other what they learned from interviews/feedback from schools about their app and try to do it on yours (i.e. shadowing). I also learned that everyone loves to say the "its a crap-shoot" bit. true it is somewhat a crap-shoot, but it is also schools looking for a specific type of student, and i think it is less random than people think. the school I was accepted at loves Americorps alumni and people who go into clinical practice who want helping under-served populations (something I have tons of volunteer experience with) and that's why I got an invite. Likewise, schools I thought I was competitive at rejected me most likely because I didn't have something for all those five criteria.

also I made the mistake of thinking that the US NEWS rankings were super duper important. that stuff is an absolute POS. the response rates are so terrible that it really shouldn't be used. sure are some schools "better"? yea. but you need to get out of the undergraduate application mentality and realize every school is great and will get you to becoming a doctor (not mention, while people often sh*& on them, DO schools are also a great option). don't fall into the trap of not applying broadly enough (I almost did).

hope that was coherent

You should ignore people on here when they challenge you about your abilities. Before I took the MCAT I was aiming for a 35+ score and I am sure people on here would have loled at that statement.

You know yourself better than random people on the internet. If you know you can do it, then go study hard and accomplish it.

Just because they couldn't accomplish something, don't let them make you believe that you won't.

Yes, it's definitely reasonable to assume that you will score better than literally 94 percent of all test takers.
GpPj3Cu.gif

Yes, it's definitely reasonable to assume that you will score better than literally 94 percent of all test takers.
GpPj3Cu.gif

If you're smart, then yes it is.

OP could be a genius for all we know, and he could be understating his abilities. Don't place limits on others.

I think getting into medical school is difficult because you have to be the total package - the GPA, the MCAT, the LORs, the ECs... you need to bring it all to the table to stand a good chance and unfortunately many people can never get it quite right. . The hardest is the GPA, if you have a 2.9 and all of a sudden decide you are going to go to medical school you are really going to struggle to get it up to acceptable ranges. The MCAT is another barrier but I think almost anyone can do significantly well to get in if they really put their mind to it.

Survivor DO

This. in short, you need to bring your A-game, which includes your personal story, your motivations, your experiences, as well as the ability to write them out clearly in your application.

Is it overhyped? Its hard to be objective about such a personal process, and everyone's experience varies slightly. The stats and perspectives LizzyM discusses are one way to objectively assess it.

Work hard and don't underestimate any step of the process. Focusing on the hype is a distraction. Instead focus on your academics and your experiences and you'll give yourself the best shot possible.

For low stat people and even average people who don't have an easy state school to go to, no it's not crazy

Keep in mind, writing answers to anywhere from 3-8 (+/- 2) short-answer questions for 30 secondaries will be mind-numbing and while you may write earnestly for the first dozen or so, it will be very hard to sound inspired and passionate as you continue with the rest, thereby hampering your chances. For questions such as, "why are you a good fit for our school?" or "Please tell us your interest in our school" etc., it will become very difficult to write 30 unique, sincere iterations of your answer for each school. Keep in mind quality over quantity. Just something to consider.

If every thread/question had to be completely original, there would be almost no new threads. Get over yourself.

True, but his point was that the questions you've asked are literally some of the most frequently asked on this forum. When there are already hundreds if not thousands of threads addressing these questions that are easily accessible, it's worthwhile to do a quick search. If something isn't immediately obvious and you ask a question about it, you're much more likely to get helpful answers.

Keep in mind, writing answers to anywhere from 3-8 (+/- 2) short-answer questions for 30 secondaries will be mind-numbing and while you may write earnestly for the first dozen or so, it will be very hard to sound inspired and passionate as you continue with the rest, thereby hampering your chances. For questions such as, "why are you a good fit for our school?" or "Please tell us your interest in our school" etc., it will become very difficult to write 30 unique, sincere iterations of your answer for each school. Keep in mind quality over quantity. Just something to consider.

Oh believe me, the writing process was grueling for this many apps. I admit 30 is a little excessive, especially since I ended up withdrawing at half of them after the first 2 acceptances. I probably could have gotten away with 15-20 if I was lucky enough to include the schools that liked me. It's just impossible to predict what schools will like you in this crap shoot of a process. As for writing though, the topics on all the secondaries are pretty repetitive so you end up really just copying and pasting sections.

And that was one of my tips to have a unique answer for each school that doesn't apply to any other school why you want to go there. Every school also asked me where else I applied and where I interviewed and I lied.

Last edited:
Oh believe me, the writing process was grueling for this many apps. I admit 30 is a little excessive, especially since I ended up withdrawing at half of them after the first 2 acceptances. I probably could have gotten away with 15-20 if I was lucky enough to include the schools that liked me. It's just impossible to predict what schools will like you in this crap shoot of a process. As for writing though, the topics on all the secondaries are pretty repetitive so you end up really just copying and pasting sections.

And that was one of my tips to have a unique answer for each school that doesn't apply to any other school why you want to go there. Every school also asked me where else I applied and where I interviewed and I lied.

What did you say?

Extremely important points. It's a process that unecessarily favors the wealthy. It could favor the wealthy a lot less by using Skype or other technology for interviews and decreasing application costs for all but the wealthiest applicants, but rich white people largely run the show and have an interest in preserving the edge their children enjoy.

Hence fee-waivers and the ability to apply as a URM.

Immature, bigoted comments don't make you sound anything other than jelly

The fee-waivers are a load of bull****. My parents make more than 300% of the poverty level for our family size and there is no way in hell they could afford to hand me $5k for applications and interviews like it was nothing.

Okay. Thanks for the encouragement!

What did you say?

I just didn't tell them how many schools I applied and only told them about 2 interviews. I did tell 1 interviewer the truth and saw his eyes light up like 'damn that's alot of schools,' but then I told him my story and how I can't risk going through the process again. He understood and changed the subject. I did get accepted there too, so maybe it doesn't hurt as much as I thought. I've had the reverse situation though where an OOS interviewer grilled me on why I would choose their school over my top ranked in state school that I interviewed at. No acceptance that time, which is why I started lying.

I think you are confusing reasonable expectation and ability. It's not reasonable to assume that every single person that tries hard and sits for the MCAT will get a 35 and thus should be expecting it. I'm sure there are plenty as people that worked hard and don't get a 35. 94% of people don't (let's assume at least half of them worked hard and didn't walk into the exam cold).

That said, I don't know what the capability of any single person on here is. For all I know, any single person on here is capable of a 40+ (my own brother scored a 40). Hell, one person in this thread may even score a 45 (which happens every few years).

That said, if you walk into your diagnostic test and score a 20 expecting to have scored a 35 is much more debilitating than expecting a 20 on the diagnostic and scoring a 35 on it. This is coming from someone that started at a 23 on en route to a 30+ score (disclaimer: I haven't taken the MCAT).

I do think 30 is a reasonable starting aim. If you go beyond that then raise your target. If you are scoring 13 on a diagnostic, 35 may not be a reasonable aim. If you score 33 on the diagnostic... then, hell, aim for a 45.

35 is not a reasonable given for most. That said, some are definitely capable of it.

If you're smart, then yes it is.

OP could be a genius for all we know, and he could be understating his abilities. Don't place limits on others.

URM has nothing to do with money or my comment. Poor white people and Asians exist. Fee waivers don't cover travel costs, which are significant.

I just didn't tell them how many schools I applied and only told them about 2 interviews. I did tell 1 interviewer the truth and saw his eyes light up like 'damn that's alot of schools,' but then I told him my story and how I can't risk going through the process again. He understood and changed the subject. I did get accepted there too, so maybe it doesn't hurt as much as I thought. I've had the reverse situation though where an OOS interviewer grilled me on why I would choose their school over my top ranked in state school that I interviewed at. No acceptance that time, which is why I started lying.

So how many schools did you say you were applying to?

So how many schools did you say you were applying to?

I told most places that I applied to a dozen schools and had a few interviews.

The fee-waivers are a load of bull****. My parents make more than 300% of the poverty level for our family size and there is no way in hell they could afford to hand me $5k for applications and interviews like it was nothing.

how does that make them a load of bs? the line has to be drawn some where