Is the field really over saturated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmstudent2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First yr pharmacy student and i keep ready how the field is over saturated. Any insight? Scary to think that i'll be in school, in debt, and not be able to find a job like everyone is saying. Although from other sources it seems the outlook grows.

Members don't see this ad.

I had 4 retail offers early in my P4 year. I tentatively accepted an offer from Walgreens. I ended up with a staff hospital job. I had to move ~2 hours from my home town. I'm in the Midwest; I think things are still okay here.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you think? Even if the evidence is still staring at you in the face, and you want to think otherwise, are they still offering cars or bonuses to pharmacists? Even people who are working aren't safe. Because of the oversaturation, people can easily hire a new grad for cheaper, and they can find someone to replace you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently for my position as a full time overnight pharmacist, there were over 70 applicants. (We still need 2 more overnight pharmacists, and new positions are expected to be created as the department continues to expand here.)

Although, what happens when new positions are created for the 7am-3pm, 12pm-8pm, and 3pm-11pm shifts is that the positions are offered to the overnighters already on board, and if they accept it, they hire someone else for the overnight spot that will be vacated by the person moving to the other shift.

You should have asked this question before you applied for pharmacy school. It is a little too late now.

You should have asked this question before you applied for pharmacy school. It is a little too late now.

Lol, this.

It's tough for everyone finding work. It's definitely not going to get easier finding work any time soon.

Just try your best in pharmacy school and network. Networking is key.

You could always take whatever **** job you can find in the ass of nowhere, save up your money, and get an SBA loan to start your own pharmacy.

Is the job market tough? Yes.

All you need to focus on right now is working your ass off in school, getting paid internships in desired setting and networking! It is not going to do you any good to focus on the negative unless it inspires you to work harder.

You need to network and be an amazing intern everywhere you go.

Reactions: 2 users
Last year, my company hired 7-8 new grads in my location and 4-5 new grads in the other major location in our state. This year? 3 new grads in my area and 0 in the other location.

If you're open to working retail, willing to move , and able to adapt to a rotating schedule then you should be fine.

If you're open to working retail, willing to move , and able to adapt to a rotating schedule then you should be fine.

Maybe there are still openings to some rural parts of the country or in cities with a high crime rate but that's going to change 3-4 years from now. Of course there will be some exceptional new grads who will find a job in the city. Just remember there's already a backlog of pharmacists waiting to move back to the city so you will be competing with them for a spot.

Eventually these unemployed new grads will move. They will work for a lower rate. They will work the graveyard shifts. Then what? there is simply not enough jobs for everyone. So some will find work but others won't. It's a number game. It's just a matter of time since supply is already exceeded demand and there's still a glut of new pharmacy schools that have yet graduated any students.

While the majority of Americans are reproducing at a negative rate (less than 2 children per couple,) the Latino segment is exploding.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/ne...g-at-faster-rate-than-foreign-born-reversing/

One has to wonder if their rapid population growth will help subside the glut of pharmacists by providing a new population to serve.
The population that will need to be served are those born between 1946 and 1960. This population is huge and the work force (and by proxy the tax base) to sustain it is rather small. The Latino segment that you speak of will be used to service this demographic rather than being served.

Members don't see this ad :)
The population that will need to be served are those born between 1946 and 1960. This population is huge and the work force (and by proxy the tax base) to sustain it is rather small. The Latino segment that you speak of will be used to service this demographic rather than being served.

Yes, because no one under the age of 54 is using prescriptions... :highfive:

Yes, because no one under the age of 54 is using prescriptions... :highfive:
Yes, they are getting prescriptions filled. However, the majority of this population is not using maintenance that they will be taking for the rest of their lives.

Floater positions are stuffed completely full with pharmacists desperately waiting for a full time gig. There isn't much slack for employers to take on any more floaters. Even the non-benefited relief positions are getting crowded. The market is pretty tough out there. I think next year's class is really going to be feeling some pain.

So one of the new pharmacists who was fired at my hospital during her training was because of constantly calling home to talk to kids, and "disappearing" for 10 minutes a few times a day. I thought she was getting the work done regardless and didn't deserve to get fired but apparently there is such a surplus of applicants that they'd rather make the department suffer through having people mandated onto the overnight shift and looking for a new person + training them for 3 months rather than just sticking with her.

I'm starting to get a feeling that small little stuff like "disappearing for 10 mins to pass time, get coffee/food", calling your friends/family isn't tolerated as much at the big academic hospitals vs the small community hospital (the last place I worked, here me and my 3pm-11pm partner often took 2 hour lunch breaks, skyped with family/friends (her), played video games on the laptop (me), and still got the work done).

Texas is too hot, and nobody hires when its hot outside, so don't come here.

The number of people I know who have nothing coming out of pharmacy school is increasing every year. And the number of people who can't seem to even find tech or intern work also seems to be increasing which should signal to students how bad the market is. The field is definitely oversaturated in my area though other areas may have more opportunities.

What worries me even more is not the availability of jobs but how long those jobs will last. I feel automation overall will render many job duties useless though when this is to be seen who knows. Also a lot of people were forced into early retirement 2008-2009. And with a constant stream of young grads with more energy and mental sharpness and high levels of debt, they are replacing older, middle aged pharmacists many who are parents with obligations besides college loans like mortgages, taxes, kids, retirement, etc. I can see age discrimination playing a much bigger role these days and not just limited to pharmacy. And these costs for many aren't going to go down and wages aren't picking up. This forum constantly talks about the lack of job stability in certain big retail companies (age discrimination, etc) so many will have to change their lifestyles and consume less. And how many people these days will stay with the same company for many many years? Just visualize that if you somehow miraculously end up with a real job, how many hundreds, thousands of hungry, starving younger pharmacy graduates are hovering behind you chomping at the bit ready to chew you and spit you out and take your place?

pharmstudent2019 - I entered pharmacy school when there were sign on bonuses and it was easy to find any job, go into the field you enjoy and live life a bit and it amazes me how fast the markets can change because now there are more and more grads I know who cannot find anything or have to relocate or settle for residencies which even then no longer promise those clinical pharmacist jobs. Looking at just the # of graduates set to graduate, ask yourself do we REALLY need that many pharmacists in the country? The answer is a vehement NO! Now you may say, "well pharmacy is changing, there will be new fields like infusion, specialty, managed care, industry, jobs that don't practice pharmacy per se but need a Pharm.D degree, oh and there's more people retiring, more people taking drugs, the baby boomers and Medicare spending will help grow more jobs, etc." And those are valid points but the rate of job growth hasn't kept up with the increasing # of grads, least in my area, and reimbursement is always going down. The world is always changing and can be unpredictable and full of surprises but at this moment, job outlook isn't good and general consensus is that it won't get better. But at least it's not as dreadful like other fields like law though that is always subject to change. I even hear engineers are having a tough time finding jobs unless it's outside of actual engineering like finance. So pharmacy is not an isolated field but a lot more can be said about the pharmacy job market getting worse and not better, and 2019 you will see more competition than I face with more schools graduating. And if you do manage to get a job, can you KEEP it? With ever mounting debt, stagnant wages, rising costs, etc and other issues like globalization, robots replacing people, climate change, the whole job/economic outlook doesn't look so good anymore.

The number of people I know who have nothing coming out of pharmacy school is increasing every year. And the number of people who can't seem to even find tech or intern work also seems to be increasing which should signal to students how bad the market is. The field is definitely oversaturated in my area though other areas may have more opportunities.

What worries me even more is not the availability of jobs but how long those jobs will last. I feel automation overall will render many job duties useless though when this is to be seen who knows. Also a lot of people were forced into early retirement 2008-2009. And with a constant stream of young grads with more energy and mental sharpness and high levels of debt, they are replacing older, middle aged pharmacists many who are parents with obligations besides college loans like mortgages, taxes, kids, retirement, etc. I can see age discrimination playing a much bigger role these days and not just limited to pharmacy. And these costs for many aren't going to go down and wages aren't picking up. This forum constantly talks about the lack of job stability in certain big retail companies (age discrimination, etc) so many will have to change their lifestyles and consume less. And how many people these days will stay with the same company for many many years? Just visualize that if you somehow miraculously end up with a real job, how many hundreds, thousands of hungry, starving younger pharmacy graduates are hovering behind you chomping at the bit ready to chew you and spit you out and take your place?

pharmstudent2019 - I entered pharmacy school when there were sign on bonuses and it was easy to find any job, go into the field you enjoy and live life a bit and it amazes me how fast the markets can change because now there are more and more grads I know who cannot find anything or have to relocate or settle for residencies which even then no longer promise those clinical pharmacist jobs. Looking at just the # of graduates set to graduate, ask yourself do we REALLY need that many pharmacists in the country? The answer is a vehement NO! Now you may say, "well pharmacy is changing, there will be new fields like infusion, specialty, managed care, industry, jobs that don't practice pharmacy per se but need a Pharm.D degree, oh and there's more people retiring, more people taking drugs, the baby boomers and Medicare spending will help grow more jobs, etc." And those are valid points but the rate of job growth hasn't kept up with the increasing # of grads, least in my area, and reimbursement is always going down. The world is always changing and can be unpredictable and full of surprises but at this moment, job outlook isn't good and general consensus is that it won't get better. But at least it's not as dreadful like other fields like law though that is always subject to change. I even hear engineers are having a tough time finding jobs unless it's outside of actual engineering like finance. So pharmacy is not an isolated field but a lot more can be said about the pharmacy job market getting worse and not better, and 2019 you will see more competition than I face with more schools graduating. And if you do manage to get a job, can you KEEP it? With ever mounting debt, stagnant wages, rising costs, etc and other issues like globalization, robots replacing people, climate change, the whole job/economic outlook doesn't look so good anymore.

it is going to be dogs eat dogs world for me. I just got accepted...

Just food for thought, I'd rather be qualified in an over saturated profession that makes six figures than be employed in a job that will never pay more than 48k.

Just food for thought, I'd rather be qualified in an over saturated profession that makes six figures than be employed in a job that will never pay more than 48k.
...waiting for Angela1234's reply...

Fewaopi, I used to worry about the new grads taking my job. However after precepting for a few years I'm no longer worried. They have no management skills and little desire to learn them. They won't tolerate the horrible work conditions and mentally check out and quit. Despite owing over 200k they won't work overtime. It's a different generation. The only ones I do worry about are the foreign grads. They come from much worse conditions and are hungrier.

Fewaopi, I used to worry about the new grads taking my job. However after precepting for a few years I'm no longer worried. They have no management skills and little desire to learn them. They won't tolerate the horrible work conditions and mentally check out and quit. Despite owing over 200k they won't work overtime. It's a different generation. The only ones I do worry about are the foreign grads. They come from much worse conditions and are hungrier.

The one thing I don't understand about pharmacists who are from an older generation than me are how they think about the work they did after they go home. I'll be working and it'll be like 8-9pm and we'll get a call from the morning pharmacist who is being paranoid about a script they verified at 8am, and I'm just amazed that they remembered the name, what floor the patient is on, what conditions they have, and what the order was. Then the next day they'll call me at home at 11am when I'm sleeping and I won't remember **** about the order I did.

The one thing I don't understand about pharmacists who are from an older generation than me are how they think about the work they did after they go home. I'll be working and it'll be like 8-9pm and we'll get a call from the morning pharmacist who is being paranoid about a script they verified at 8am, and I'm just amazed that they remembered the name, what floor the patient is on, what conditions they have, and what the order was. Then the next day they'll call me at home at 11am when I'm sleeping and I won't remember **** about the order I did.

When you have a mortgage and family to feed and those things are dependent on your license, you tend to remember things just a little better.

Why can't they just write that **** down and look it up when they come in the next day?

Checking it tomorrow won't help when the patient already got the med

I am in rural california where no one wants to go...I work for a stable company, but they only hired 2 grad interns this year and we're still overstaffed