Is the military FMG friendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobby_chamo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends and future doctors;

I am curious if the military is friendly towards FMGs for obtaining residencies? I am pursuing my MD overseas but I would like to do my residency and possibly make a career out of being a military doctor. Will they look negativly towards my degree, or will it just be based on my board scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Only people in the military may acquire military residencies. The military requires that you attend a medical school in the US or Puerto Rico to qualify for their scholarship programs, which in turn would put you into the position of obtaining a military residency.

I am not aware of any programs that would allow you to join up before doing a residency but after med school.

I have never met a military physician that was an FMG. I agree that I can see no way that an FMG could get a military residency, unless the FMG did a civilian internship, became licensed and then came in as a GMO. Then, following the GMO time, could apply for a military residency but would be at a disadvantage for any of the competitive specialties. Primary care would be available, though. The other option would be to complete a residency and then join the military, but that negates any of the economic benefits gained by having the military train you. There are still valid reasons to join, but financial help is a big incentive. Pure speculation on my part, but every Doc I've ever encountered went to a US med school.
DD

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to UAG (Guadalajara). Was told (via e-mail) a while ago by an Army recruiter that I could join before residency (after graduation and completion of 5th Pathway). Recently we (5PWs) received a flyer soliciting us to join the Army Reserve during residency and certain specialties (a lot of them) are eligible to receive up to $50,000 in educational loan repayment. The flyer was from SFC Anthony Ward of the US Army Health Care team, [email protected] Why don't you contact him and ask?

Hey guys

I think I may have not worded my question correctly. What I meant is if I graduate from a FMG (ie, Ross, Saba, etc), would I have trouble entering the military and getting a residency there?

From what I understand, when you graduate from med school, you can join the military, do internship and get a residency in the military, and then you serve 5 or whatever years afterwords. Is this correct?

I just meant if I went to a foreign school as opposed to a military school would they "look down" on me?

Yes, you would have trouble.

I can't speak for the Army, but there are more USUHS and HPSP grads than there are Navy internships, and those people are going to take all of the active duty internships. Thus, if you graduate from a foreign med school, I would anticipate doing at least a civilian internship, passing step III, getting licensed, etc. before doing a GMO tour and then later applying for a Navy residency. I think that is a best case scenario for getting a Navy residency. You would sign up for the Navy while in internship (early) and negotiate GMO orders at that time.

I've known some good FMGs from med school rotations at civilian hospitals, but if you have the option to go to any US med school you should do that. Military or civilian, your life will be easier if you're not a FMG. You may be incredibly talented, but you'll wear the FMG albatross for a long time. Apply to DO schools, too, there are many DOs in the military and they are competitive for all of the specialties. Good luck

Originally posted by Navy Dive Doc
I have never met a military physician that was an FMG. I agree that I can see no way that an FMG could get a military residency, unless the FMG did a civilian internship, became licensed and then came in as a GMO. Then, following the GMO time, could apply for a military residency but would be at a disadvantage for any of the competitive specialties. Primary care would be available, though. The other option would be to complete a residency and then join the military, but that negates any of the economic benefits gained by having the military train you. There are still valid reasons to join, but financial help is a big incentive. Pure speculation on my part, but every Doc I've ever encountered went to a US med school.
DD

When I was on active duty (Air Force) we had several FMG's. One (Spangdahlem AB, Germany, 1977-1980) was a somewhat older (probably in his mid-late 40's) MD from Hong Kong, came in as a LTC I think.

The others were a husband/wife team from Italy, he was a flight surgeon who I flew with occasionally (my italian was better than his english) and his wife was a real prize - a fine physician, spoke english well, and very pleasent to be around socially. While he was my flight surgeon she would get involved in many discussions since she would translate for him.

Joining the military was a shortcut for US Citizenship.

The military will also accept IMG's from the caribbean schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Aye, I will be from a carribean school. Saba.

Reactions: 1 user
While you may not be able to score a military residency very easily, as long as you are able to match with a civilian residency in the States (and complete all of your ECFMG requirements) then you ARE eligible for Navy FAP consideration. This information is 2 weeks old, and is per my recruiter in Boston, HMC Hall. FAP will pay you a nice monthly stipend over and above your residency pay, give you $20-some-thousand additional once per year, and you are a Navy LT in the USNR until you graduate residency. Then you move to ACDU to pay off the time. It's worth a look, anyway. Good luck! There is more than one way to skin a cat, and I would bet that you can achieve that Navy commission if you set your mind to it.

While you may not be able to score a military residency very easily, as long as you are able to match with a civilian residency in the States (and complete all of your ECFMG requirements) then you ARE eligible for Navy FAP consideration. This information is 2 weeks old, and is per my recruiter in Boston, HMC Hall. FAP will pay you a nice monthly stipend over and above your residency pay, give you $20-some-thousand additional once per year, and you are a Navy LT in the USNR until you graduate residency. Then you move to ACDU to pay off the time. It's worth a look, anyway. Good luck! There is more than one way to skin a cat, and I would bet that you can achieve that Navy commission if you set your mind to it.

Good point. There is a fellow at WRAMC that did med school overseas, joined FAP during residency, and got picked up immediately after for fellowship. Don't know specifics as to how competitive things were when he applied. FAP is still a very good option if you still want to join after med school.

Aye, I will be from a carribean school. Saba.

I know of at least couple FMG's that were in the Navy, but couldn't tell you anything about their path.

St Georges even used a US Navy Physician in an ad campaign that ran in Newsweek around april of 2005.

Good luck,

i want out (of IRR)

Starting with the graduating class of 2009, there will be fewer Navy USUHS and HPSP grads than internship spots, due to recruiting shortages. I don't know what the Navy plans to do, other than getting rid of GMO's, which won't help with the interns anyway. One possibility would be to take new people in straight into their residencies, although I haven't heard anything about this.

When I was on active duty (Air Force) we had several FMG's. One (Spangdahlem AB, Germany, 1977-1980) was a somewhat older (probably in his mid-late 40's) MD from Hong Kong, came in as a LTC I think.

The military will certainly take FMG's as attendings, but the OP's question was about obtaining a military residency---something that is going to be out of reach for the reasons listed by other posters.

Just to give a more definitive view from the Navy perspective. OPNAVINST 1120.4 regulates the commissioning of physicians. It is quite clear that in order for an FMG to enter the Navy medical corps they must have completed a US acreditted residency and be licensed to practice medicine in the US. While I will agree that a current FMG participating in a US residency should be able to apply for FAP, at this time they are being denied. This may change in the future, but until it actually happens it is a moot point. FMGs are not permitted to apply for Navy GME, even 5th pathway grads.

I have known several FMGs during my time on AD. I have seen no particular discrimination based on their degree pathway. 2 were O-6s, one was an O-5.

Just to give a more definitive view from the Navy perspective. OPNAVINST 1120.4 regulates the commissioning of physicians. It is quite clear that in order for an FMG to enter the Navy medical corps they must have completed a US acreditted residency and be licensed to practice medicine in the US. While I will agree that a current FMG participating in a US residency should be able to apply for FAP, at this time they are being denied. This may change in the future, but until it actually happens it is a moot point. FMGs are not permitted to apply for Navy GME, even 5th pathway grads.

I have known several FMGs during my time on AD. I have seen no particular discrimination based on their degree pathway. 2 were O-6s, one was an O-5.

I was trying to find information on this exact subject- going straight to a military residency from FMG. Is there any more current or new information on this topic that someone may shed light on (this is an ancient thread after all)?

Unlikely, but not impossible to go into a primary care spot. The Navy has taken 5 in the last 3 years. Since graduation numbers have improved it is less likely than in 2009.

If you are going to NOVA, that is a US medical school. Why does it matter?

Oh ok I see. Thanks!
And nova is my undergrad school, I guess I should have been more specific. I am applying this cycle to medical schools.