Is the Navy HPSP for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FBurnaby

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stipend is just shy of 2200. If you can feed and live on that with a family of 3+, good on you. If you did a quick google search before making this thread (as I assure you your case is not unique), you would find the common theme of these things:

1. Do not do HPSP for the money...but...DO NOT DO HPSP FOR THE MONEY...but but...FOR GOD SAKES DO NOT DO HPSP FOR THE MONEY. You have to want to serve. PERIOD. It sounds like you have that covered, so for you the money would really just be an added perk.

2. Your experience will be solely and uniquely yours. Your orders and assignments (this partly answers your "how long out of the country" question, it really depends on where you get stationed) and what you make of that time will depend on only you, and no one here can tell you what to expect, how you will like it, or whether your family will ultimately be happy.

3. The "Is the HPSP worth it" on a purely financially level has already been discussed to an almost sickening degree. I believe a google search of "the skyrocketing value of the HPSP SDN" would give you a good glimpse of that.

The one thing I would really stress for you is that the military can be VERY VERY hard on families. Make sure your wife's unwavering support because the amount of sacrifice she would be making for you in the upcoming years (not just med school, but with the military wrench thrown in there) is really going to blow her mind.

Reactions: 1 user
thank you for the feedback, these are definitely things to think about. Does anyone have insight as to whether my stats are out of range for the hpsp? I don't see any up to date statistics for GPA/MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess its better to hear it from the horse's mouth

NAVY HPSP
Competitive Applicants:
GPA:3.0 or higher (Required)
MCAT:30 or better
DAT:22 or better
its legit

My last dental HPSP, DAT of 22, GPA: 3.2, got accepted to NYU... got the HPSP

I appreciate any advice, as I feel more comfortable asking here than a recruiter

trust me, its better to ask a recruiter... medical recruiters don't have time to lie to you or we are not trying to sucker you in the Navy. HPSP goals are no sweat and applicants are a dime a dozen, it may be too late for you... call your local medical officer recruiter but I say there may be nothing left comes AUG 1st 2015.

trust me, its better to ask a recruiter... medical recruiters don't have time to lie to you or we are not trying to sucker you in the Navy. HPSP goals are no sweat and applicants are a dime a dozen, it may be too late for you... call your local medical officer recruiter but I say there may be nothing left comes AUG 1st 2015.

I'm going to disagree here, if you look at two groups (recruiters and military SDN members) only one group has actually been a medical officer/student and only one group benefits from you signing up.

You will get more accurate advice on the consequences of signing from SDN. You will need to start talking to a recruiter to get signed up though.

I'm going to disagree here, if you look at two groups (recruiters and military SDN members) only one group has actually been a medical officer/student and only one group benefits from you signing up.

You will get more accurate advice on the consequences of signing from SDN. You will need to start talking to a recruiter to get signed up though

there is very old information on this website, close enough but some numbers change and the updates don't reflect here quickly.
I'm not a doctor or a career NC for that matter, and for someone who has come into the Navy for a lot less.... I can tell you anybody in the fleet would jump at the privilege of getting HPSP or HSCP for that matter. Most civilians take the program for granted... as far as "one group benefits from you signing up" most of us get a goal of 1 or 2 HPSP a year. very easy to achieve, I can tell who wants it for good reasons and who does not....I have turned away more people because of their, "what can you do for me mentality". those people are not needed in my Navy.

there is very old information on this website, close enough but some numbers change and the updates don't reflect here quickly.
I'm not a doctor or a career NC for that matter, and for someone who has come into the Navy for a lot less.... I can tell you anybody in the fleet would jump at the privilege of getting HPSP or HSCP for that matter. Most civilians take the program for granted... as far as "one group benefits from you signing up" most of us get a goal of 1 or 2 HPSP a year. very easy to achieve, I can tell who wants it for good reasons and who does not....I have turned away more people because of their, "what can you do for me mentality". those people are not needed in my Navy.

respectfully, "anybody in the fleet" doesn't have an acceptance to a medical school. The impact of residency differences, skill atrophy in certain situations, financial considerations, and functioning in a military health system as opposed to the civilian world are things that non-medical people simply don't get because it's such a niche situation.

I disagree.... most people in the fleet HAVE NO CLUE about HPSP, we do have plenty of enlisted personnel with bachelors and masters degrees now a days, not all of them are science related fields which is a requirement. But I can guarantee you if they did, they would get out after four years, use their GI BILL, take the MCAT or DAT or GRE, get a decent score and decent GPA. THEY WILL GET PICKED over any other civilian regardless of their Scores...

believe it or not, the only people that know about the program are the reservists.... and they too get priority over full time civilians.

I disagree.... most people in the fleet HAVE NO CLUE about HPSP, we do have plenty of enlisted personnel with bachelors and masters degrees now a days, not all of them are science related fields which is a requirement. But I can guarantee you if they did, they would get out after four years, use their GI BILL, take the MCAT or DAT or GRE, get a decent score and decent GPA. THEY WILL GET PICKED over any other civilian regardless of their Scores...

You really think what's keeping the majority of the enlisted personnel Navy from getting into medical school is... knowing that the Navy will pay for their medical school if they secure an acceptance? If they knew that, the requisite academic performance to get the acceptance would just be a matter of checking boxes?

I can tell who wants it for good reasons and who does not....I have turned away more people because of their, "what can you do for me mentality". those people are not needed in my Navy.

This is really concerning. I hope you're not actually refusing to process applications from applicants who you deem insufficiently motivated. There is a huge range of academic talent even among people who have secured an acceptance to a medical school, and you really don't have the qualifications to judge who is an excellent vs a marginal candidate. That's why there's a board to decide who gets the scholarship. Motivation in the recruiters office is great and all, but intelligence and ability are somewhat more important. I hate to think that our Residency directors are killing themselves to turn weak residents into passable doctors while recruiters are turning away the Ivy Leaguers for seeming snotty.

Reactions: 1 users
By federal law, we can't deny anybody the chance to apply for a federal position.
they get told what to do... they hit a wall, they give up... who's next
they get told what to do... they hit a wall and they overcome, they get told what to do next... repeat till complete.

or field rejection: sorry, but you are not competitive... go to the Army.

they weed themselves out

You really think what's keeping the majority of the enlisted personnel Navy from getting into medical school is... knowing that the Navy will pay for their medical school if they secure an acceptance? If they knew that, the requisite academic performance to get the acceptance would just be a matter of checking boxes?

This is really concerning. I hope you're not actually refusing to process applications from applicants who you deem insufficiently motivated. There is a huge range of academic talent even among people who have secured an acceptance to a medical school, and you really don't have the qualifications to judge who is an excellent vs a marginal candidate. That's why there's a board to decide who gets the scholarship. Motivation in the recruiters office is great and all, but intelligence and ability are somewhat more important. I hate to think that our Residency directors are killing themselves to turn weak residents into passable doctors while recruiters are turning away the Ivy Leaguers for seeming snotty.

it is more than education....
MCAT 35 gpa 3.9
can't talk to people, can't conduct an appraised interview...

gets passed by an MCAT of 30 and 3.5 gpa
who can articulate and impress an interviewer.

it is not just education, its a whole package, some have it, some don't
sorry sir, that's the truth. the Board picks the best applicant who the recruiters submits.

again... to state the fact... an applicant never gets denied to submit an application... if he is not competitive he gets told, he still wants to submit, he can submit!

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT 35 gpa 3.9

sorry sir, that's the truth. the Board picks the best applicant who the recruiters submits.

again... to state the fact... an applicant never gets denied to submit an application... if he is not competitive he gets told, he still wants to submit, he can submit!
that's an impressive backpedal from sh** talking about those you've rejected for not being gungho enough

Reactions: 3 users
What information do you know better than us? You don't understand physician pay, experience in training and beyond, qol, EMR issues, the list goes on. The members of this board are infinitely more qualified to render an opinion than you will ever be.

Should I trust a car salesman or consumer reports?

its not about being gungho!
being book smart does not equate to being a good doctor or for that matter being a good naval officer.

Now:

MCAT 35 gpa 3.9

but a minute ago...

I can tell who wants it for good reasons and who does not....I have turned away more people because of their, "what can you do for me mentality". those people are not needed in my Navy.

"I can tell" ... "I have turned away". "I". You weren't talking about the board rejecting these people for failing the interview, you were talking about kicking people out of your office for not impressing you, personally. Or alternatively being so useless/obstructive that they give up and walk out of your office, which amounts to the same thing. Then you realized you just admitted to superseding your orders AND breaking the law, and now you're backpedaling.

Your job is to find doctors, recruit doctors, and process HPSP applications. You are not meant to screen or obstruct applicants in any way.

What information do you know better than us? You don't understand physician pay, experience in training and beyond, qol, EMR issues, the list goes on. The members of this board are infinitely more qualified to render an opinion than you will ever be.

Should I trust a car salesman or consumer reports?

huh? you mean I can't look at the 2015 military pay chart... or navadmins associated with that $$ to answer your questions? sorry bob... I'm not playing your game.... look it up for your self, You already know the answer.

Now:

but a minute ago...

"I can tell" ... "I have turned away". "I". You weren't talking about the board rejecting these people for failing the interview, you were talking about kicking people out of your office for not impressing you, personally. Or alternatively being so useless/obstructive that they give up and walk out of your office, which amounts to the same thing. Then you realized you just admitted to superseding your orders AND breaking the law, and now you're backpedaling.

Your job is to find doctors, recruit doctors, and process HPSP applications. You are not meant to screen or obstruct applicants in any way.

I've heard that there were some sore people here.... but I didn't think it was this bad!
Field Rejection.... look it up

I've heard that there were some sore people here.... but I didn't think it was this bad!
Field Rejection.... look it up

If I asked your CO, in your NY healthcare recruiters office, whether you were authorized to 'field reject' applicants based on your assessment of their attitude, would he say yes?

I am not particularly 'sore' at the Navy. I am, however, easily angered when I perceive a someone who is acting outside of their scope of practice, due to ego. Medical Student doing an unsupervised procedure? GMO trying to do surgery on the ship? Non-physician healthcare recruiter field rejecting qualified applicants because of his understanding of what 'his' Navy needs? Not a fan of any of those things.

huh? you mean I can't look at the 2015 military pay chart... or navadmins associated with that $$ to answer your questions? sorry bob... I'm not playing your game.... look it up for your self, You already know the answer.

No you can't. That's the point. There are big changes brewing and you haven't a clue.

Now:

but a minute ago...

Sure, whatever you say....
you are not understanding what I'm saying do you?

a person who wants to join the Navy and be a Naval officer, one day lead me....
you want me to baby this person because he has an ivy league education?
a high MCAT
high GPA?
but he has no desired to join the Navy other than pay for his school?
he doesn't care about anything else but himself and how he can get ahead in life?

this guy is going to be my division officer one day?
take care of our Sailors?
are you kidding me!

You may or may not know... that the recruiter has a block which is called a RECOMMENDATION in the APSR.
its not big, a few sentences, which the board sees.

"Although highly academically qualified, my applicant showed no interest in his application process. He expected the recruiter to handle all the bumps in the road that other applicants have managed with ease. He has not showed me any other desire other than monetary compensation to join the Navy, nor he has shown any leadership skills or ability to take care of small tasks. I do not foresee this applicant being a leader and role model for junior Sailors, unless some major changes take place"

although I have never written a recommendation like that, because my applicants have been good people, I would not hesitate for a second to do it if needed. all recruiters don't think about goals and numbers...

If I asked your CO, in your NY healthcare recruiters office, whether you were authorized to 'field reject' applicants based on your assessment of their attitude, would he say yes?

I am not particularly 'sore' at the Navy. I am, however, easily angered when I perceive a someone who is acting outside of their scope of practice, due to ego. Medical Student doing an unsupervised procedure? GMO trying to do surgery on the ship? Non-physician healthcare recruiter field rejecting qualified applicants because of his understanding of what 'his' Navy needs? Not a fan of any of those things.

he would probably say, send me the field rejection paperwork and if it is warranted by instruction I will approve or disapprove.

I have turned away more people because of their, "what can you do for me mentality". those people are not needed in my Navy.

you are not understanding what I'm saying do you?

a person who wants to join the Navy and be a Naval officer, one day lead me....
you want me to baby this person because he has an ivy league education?
a high MCAT
high GPA?
but he has no desired to join the Navy other than pay for his school?
he doesn't care about anything else but himself and how he can get ahead in life?

this guy is going to be my division officer one day?
take care of our Sailors?
are you kidding me!

You may or may not know... that the recruiter has a block which is called a RECOMMENDATION in the APSR.
its not big, a few sentences, which the board sees.

"Although highly academically qualified, my applicant showed no interest in his application process. He expected the recruiter to handle all the bumps in the road that other applicants have managed with ease. He has not showed me any other desire other than monetary compensation to join the Navy, nor he has shown any leadership skills or ability to take care of small tasks. I do not foresee this applicant being a leader and role model for junior Sailors, unless some major changes take place"

although I have never written a recommendation like that, because my applicants have been good people, I would not hesitate for a second to do it if needed. all recruiters don't think about goals and numbers...

you are imploding sir/ma'am

any other questions gentlemen? if not I will see you in another few months.... I have work to do

Nope you did just fine demonstrating the sort of behavior prospective military physicians can expect from the people whose jobs exist to help them. You must have worked my last mtfs computer support desk before scoring your cushy recruiting gig. Bring your XO to this thread. Let him judge what you've accomplished here.

By "sore people" you mean "vetarans who are experts in the program you are trying to shill and are also calling you for breaking a federal law by rejecting HPSP applicants when you are not qualified to do so"

..., I can tell who wants it for good reasons and who does not....I have turned away more people because of their, "what can you do for me mentality". those people are not needed in my Navy.

...although I have never written a recommendation like that, because my applicants have been good people, I would not hesitate for a second to do it if needed. all recruiters don't think about goals and numbers...

Well which one is it? Are you the do-gooder overstepping tough guy who runs off the riff raff (illegally) or have really just seen nothing but outstanding applicants?

The way you backpedal, you could give Richard Sherman or Darrelle Revis a run for their money.

You're also clearly lying during one of these posts. Which one is it?