Is the top person in your class..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychPod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A total book worm?

What does it take to be the number 1 student in the class.

I know obviously a LOT of studying and just generally being super intelligent.
But is there something you the top students in the class do that others don't?

In other words, what's the best way to be the best student you can be in podiatry schooL?

Members don't see this ad.

like allsop21 said, you nee to be efficient. If you can manage your time, you can be very successful.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best or top student in the class has a very balanced life, very active in school participation (events, meetings, presentations, etc.), holds some positions in school clubs or class positions, studies diligently, and manages time really well. They are not a total book worm as people might imagine. They are active in learning. They study smart (in any means) and use classroom time very wisely (i.e. study in advance and asks questions during lecture, so it's more of a review). They actually learn the material during lecture (there and then most of the time) and review notes constantly. They sit either in the front rows or a few rows back (more active learning there I think). Most have a goal in mind and keep going at it, with the finish line in sight. They smile and remain humble, but aggressive. They aim for perfection. Everybody is different, but this is what I have observed. I think most important is time management and how they use the time that has been given to them.

Reactions: 3 users
I will throw this out there - the top 10% at DMU established themselves with a stellar performance in first year. Its the most rigorous and the best opportunity to set yourself apart. A lot of people get things together in second year, but its hard to catch people who've been sprinting from the start and by the time third year comes around there just aren't that many credits left to get. I make no claim that there isn't fluidity in the rankings, but unless the top 5 stumble they probably aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure I should way in on this since I wasn't a top student in my class but looking back at podiatry school I was definitely the best me. I found my study style and my best times to study. I studied a lot, joined clubs and worked on student posters. Keep your grades up while you do all of that.

one of the top 10% at my school scrambled and has yet to get a program
Just out of curiosity, did he/she lack compassion or a really awkward person or anything of the like that would explain the scramble? Or was it simply because he/she just didn't apply at the right programs?