is the USMLE more straightforward than the mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wetlightning

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
and before some of you guys start up about mcat/usmle correlation theories, i just want to know if it's more straightforward. i.e....not like the verbal section on the mcat :)

some current med students or other knowledgeable folks would be much appreciated! just curious to know if i can look forward to further crappiness and immense stress with the usmle scores :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

wetlightning said:
and before some of you guys start up about mcat/usmle correlation theories, i just want to know if it's more straightforward. i.e....not like the verbal section on the mcat :)

some current med students or other knowledgeable folks would be much appreciated! just curious to know if i can look forward to further crappiness and immense stress with the usmle scores :smuggrin:

If you want them to respond post in the allopathic forum not here.

wetlightning said:

I'm not a med student. But yes, I would assume its more straightforward. Kind of hard to go abstract on anatomy/physio & pathology, don't you think? Besides, I have heard its more a matter of adjusting to the sheer volume of work than an intellectual effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took step 1 last week, and I can tell you that 'yes' it is much more strightforward than the MCAT. It is a very different type of exam in that it is attempting to measure how much you have learned, and not so much your ability to reason. So, theorectically, you should be familiar with every single question on the exam. Also, the more you study for step 1, the more your score will improve (I don't believe that this is the case for the MCAT).

That being said, there will certainly be some wacky questions on step 1--those questions on topics that you have never heard of, but the more you study, the less of those you will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.