Coursework & Fieldwork Is there a comprehensive book of OT interventions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is she just starting her second year now? Tell her not to worry - the first year is typically just theory and foundation, all the stuff you need to be able to perform interventions, and truly, you DO need that stuff! Generally, the second year introduces a lot more of this, and really, fieldwork experiences are where you pick up a lot of that stuff. As a new practitioner, there is always something new to learn and I pick up stuff from my colleagues all the time, as well as come up with my own stuff and then share those things too. To more specifically answer your question, there is no "one" source for OT intervention, because the populations and diagnoses we work with are too broad. If she ends up focusing on adults, the OT Toolkit, which costs about $100, is a good resource, especially for handouts for patients. Beyond that, once she becomes an OT and starts to practice, she will continue to build her skill set through continuing ed that is tailored toward the setting and population she's in. We are trained as generalists, so there is no way for us to learn *everything* in OT school! Believe me, I kind of felt the same way during my second year and was concerned that I wouldn't know enough going into fieldwork. I ended up realizing I knew a lot more than I thought I did.

Reactions: 1 users
So, my wife is in OT school right now, and she is having a pretty rough time. She's in her second year, and she is frustrated with her curriculum because it hasn't really taught her any interventions. It has all been theory-based with no practical skills. Is there like a book of OT interventions that tells you what to do for certain clients? She is really concerned that she will graduate without any applicable knowledge. Can someone please reccomend some resources? A textbook of interventions would be great.

Yeah there are a couple. I am surprised she hasn't had any yet. My school had them 1st semester. Depends on what setting she wants to work/placed in.

The best one for me is:

- Therapy of hand and UE by Duncan. I used it in my earlier fieldwork and will probably be using it for my hand placement.

I refer to Edmans OT and Stroke Text every so often. Not really intervention but helps explains things.

OT toolkit is nice.

The books only made sense to me after taking intervention classes...so idk if it will help your gf at this stage.

Level II is where she will actually learn how to be an OT.

Last edited: