Is there a perceived difference between polycarbonate and Hi-Index

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgv

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my dental school is making me buy loupes which are those funky glasses with binoculars attached to them.

I'm getting prescription inserts and I'm having trouble deciding between polycarbonate and Hi-Index. My old glasses are polycarbonate and the one I'm wearing now are Hi-Index. I'm not comfortable asking my current optometrist since he seems like he's always acting like a salesman. I noticed that my eyes are less fatigued or at least there's less perceived twitching when I'm wearing my polycarbonates as opposed to my Hi-Index. I feel like I can move my eyes left-to-right more smoothly with my polycarbonates. Is twitchy and less-controlled eye movements a published side-effect of using Hi-Index? Can someone give me the correct words to describe controlled eye movements and twitching so I can better describe them the next time I see my optometrist?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So my dental school is making me buy loupes which are those funky glasses with binoculars attached to them.

I'm getting prescription inserts and I'm having trouble deciding between polycarbonate and Hi-Index. My old glasses are polycarbonate and the one I'm wearing now are Hi-Index. I'm not comfortable asking my current optometrist since he seems like he's always acting like a salesman. I noticed that my eyes are less fatigued or at least there's less perceived twitching when I'm wearing my polycarbonates as opposed to my Hi-Index. I feel like I can move my eyes left-to-right more smoothly with my polycarbonates. Is twitchy and less-controlled eye movements a published side-effect of using Hi-Index? Can someone give me the correct words to describe controlled eye movements and twitching so I can better describe them the next time I see my optometrist?

If you feel that your optometrist always acts like a salesman, you should get a new one.

Polycarbonate, while light and impact resistant is pretty much the worst material out there in terms of optical quality. You should have less issues with hi-index, not more. You should take them back to where you got them and/or have your doc recheck your prescription.

If you feel that your optometrist always acts like a salesman, you should get a new one.

Polycarbonate, while light and impact resistant is pretty much the worst material out there in terms of optical quality. You should have less issues with hi-index, not more. You should take them back to where you got them and/or have your doc recheck your prescription.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

Polycarbonate could be called a high-index material, itself. Probably, in this case, you're referring to 1.67 "high-index" plastic versus polycarbonate, which is 1.58. The higher this number, the higher the "index," and the higher the index, the thinner the lens; but also, usually, the worse the optical quality.

I've never heard of an association between "eye twitching" and high-index lenses, and the link would not make sense to me. Perhaps your experience was simply coincidence, or was otherwise related to something other than simply the lens material.

What is your prescription? In most low-power prescriptions, simple C.R.-39, in my opinion, likely is the best option.

Last edited by a moderator: