Is there a preference for the "type" of research you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iYES

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here's the background. I'm a Texas resident, and I know I get Texan preference for my instate schools, but I want to try my hand at heavy research out of state institutions as well. I know it's a partial function of the MCAT and GPA. My GPA is doing well, and we'll see about the MCAT. I understand that those heavy research institutions get money to do research, and they want to make sure their students fit the bill in addition to having natural inquiry, so I'm doing research as well. Not only to appease medical schools, but because I enjoy the technical hands on aspect of problem solving.
Anyway, I've done about two years of biostatistics research, but my lab is losing funding and I want to expand my horizons. I've e-mailed a ton of labs. I'm a Statistics major with an emphasis in biology and electrical engineering (there are major tracks). My chemistry/organic chemistry/cell biology is very, very good even though I don't have a "science" major. I've e-mailed a couple of professors, and I've gotten offers from a Neurobiology Lab that does work in inflammation and pain modeling. I also got an offer in a molecular biophysics lab that works on radiation treatment innovation. My interest level is equally high for both, so I have no personal bias. I'll be doing concrete biology lab work in the neurobiology lab, but in the biophysics lab it'll be part lab work-however the biological physics researcher sees my programming proficiency in Java/MATLAB and my past experience in simulation an asset.
I don't know where to go. I'm worried that if I lean towards biological physics, that admissions committee will see me as some mathematician/physicist who did work in bio, and will feel like the content is very distant. However, I have been told that it looks well as a rare applicant if I can sell myself well. I'm also worried that a combo of biostatistics/biophysics is not as "clinical" in connotation as neurobiology. Help?

Members don't see this ad.

It won't matter, choose the one that pays more/ is more interesting / has a nicer PI

It won't matter, choose the one that pays more/ is more interesting / has a nicer PI

TYBG

Interests are the same:

Physics guy has 5k cites and makes millions for the uni
Neuro guy has a PhD from JHU and Postdoc from Stanford, don't know if he could write me a mean letter

Members don't see this ad :)
TYBG

Interests are the same:

Physics guy has 5k cites and makes millions for the uni
Neuro guy has a PhD from JHU and Postdoc from Stanford, don't know if he could write me a mean letter
Where will you be happier?

The advantages I see of doing the biophysics lab, is that you will get to further/continue/apply the skills that you've already spent all this time developing, also, that radiation field publishes like crazy, you will likely leave that lab with your name on something. I'm doubtful that the neurobio research looks more "clinical" that the radiation treatment research to an adcom, but I can't really comment on that. The advantage that I am seeing to the neurobio research is that it will give you a chance to try out bench research, if you are considering pursuing it in your career.

The advantages I see of doing the biophysics lab, is that you will get to further/continue/apply the skills that you've already spent all this time developing, also, that radiation field publishes like crazy, you will likely leave that lab with your name on something. I'm doubtful that the neurobio research looks more "clinical" that the radiation treatment research to an adcom, but I can't really comment on that. The advantage that I am seeing to the neurobio research is that it will give you a chance to try out bench research, if you are considering pursuing it in your career.

I'm actually in the talks of doing on bench research, but it'll be in Europe (connections) in the summer as a "SURF"-esque experience. So if I get "on the bench" research for next summer, should I just try to maximize my STEM applications to biological sciences opportunities (i.e, math/physics)?

Also I'm just worried that if I ever get an interview, they'll think "wth is this guy talking about" when I start talking about how I automated a Routh-Hurwitz criterion to test a control system for a statistical study related to drug efficacy....and then anything to do with modern physics+. Like I feel like this content might turn them off?

So assuming interests are fixed at equal, would it be shallow to go with the lab that cranks out the most publications? I'm trying to get communicate to maybe top medical schools deviating from UTSW/BMS that I can keep up with their standards of research and fit the role of someone willing to contribute to their institution. I know good letters and how well I sell myself contribute, but getting your name on something also counts.

Again, I'm not only doing research to get my name on stuff to get in, I like the hands on challenges, Im just debating which platform I wanna do this through.

Nah haha.

Too bad. Your background would fit in perfectly here :p. Just spent the last month figuring out how to generate large patient databases using our coding/billing data. Already have two dozen abstracts written up as mockups for the faculty based on them, now I need an army of pre-meds/med students to help me fill in the gaps and get them to publication =/.

Anyways... No, it doesn't matter what kind of research you do. Clinical vs. non, this is about your development, not your scientific contribution. Adcoms are looking for medical students, not researchers. Yes, it is a great bonus to have someone with skills, especially in the research realm, but it is about what YOU do, not what the lab does.

Edit: And fixating on publications is a bad idea. It is always nice to have something tangible and you shouldn't go somewhere if there is no prospect of publication. But the number of publications isn't all that important. Quality > quantity.