Is there a route from pediatric neurology residency to a pediatric neurosurgery career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

love2connect321

Reaction score
Hello, lowly pre-med here.
Just a quick fact based question if anyone could answer real quickly.

If one gets into a pediatric neurology residency, is there a path to becoming a pediatric neurosurgeon after?
This is not for personal purposes, I am just curious if this is a thing.

Thanks for your time xx

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, lowly pre-med here.
Just a quick fact based question if anyone could answer real quickly.

If one gets into a pediatric neurology residency, is there a path to becoming a pediatric neurosurgeon after?
This is not for personal purposes, I am just curious if this is a thing.

Thanks for your time xx
Short answer: No

Either do a pediatric neurology residency/fellowship or a neurosurgery residency then peds fellowship

Reactions: 1 user
After neurology residency you can do a neurovascular surgery fellowship. Idk how to weave peds into that though

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After neurology residency you can do a neurovascular surgery fellowship. Idk how to weave peds into that though
I think you're referring to interventional neuroradiology? Depending on the program, after a neuro residency, one can apply to these (but some require a vascular fellowship as a prerequisite). However, these are extremely difficult to do via this pathway. IR to neuro IR is the fastest/optimal path there...

Just to clear it up: one cannot switch from being a non-surgeon to being a surgeon without doing a surgical residency!

Reactions: 4 users
I met someone on a social who claims to have gone through this path and something seemed off and perhaps incorrect. Very strange. You can say anything online nowadays. Thanks again!

Moving to pre-med.

Agree with others, this isn't a thing. Path to pedi neurosurgeon is NSG residency-->peds fellowship. Peds neurology is its own thing.

Moving to pre-med.

Agree with others, this isn't a thing. Path to pedi neurosurgeon is NSG residency-->peds fellowship. Peds neurology is its own thing.
Thanks! I apologize, I thought I needed a MD's knowledge, not pre-med. Not sure how it works around here. Thanks for moving to appropriate place!

Thanks! I apologize, I thought I needed a MD's knowledge, not pre-med. Not sure how it works around here. Thanks for moving to appropriate place!
No worries! :) The med student forum is more appropriate for questions from current med students who want to discuss with their peers, not really for pre-meds to ask questions to med students. Med students frequent this forum as well, so if you ask here you will likely get your question answered :)

I think you're referring to interventional neuroradiology? Depending on the program, after a neuro residency, one can apply to these (but some require a vascular fellowship as a prerequisite). However, these are extremely difficult to do via this pathway. IR to neuro IR is the fastest/optimal path there...

Just to clear it up: one cannot switch from being a non-surgeon to being a surgeon without doing a surgical residency!
Yeah that’s the one, you do the vascular/stroke fellowship first and then the IR fellowship second.