Is there an age limit to become a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is there an Age limit to be a doctor?

• Yes it's too late

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No age doesn't matter

Votes: 19 95.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skatevibes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 23 years old and it was 5 years ago that I graduated high school. I've been held back from going to college for the past few years mainly because of medical/ surgical issues. A little history of me; I was born with amniotic band syndrome and since birth I've had several surgeries involving the mandible, the chin, the palate, my teeth , and maxilla. I'm scheduled to have my last surgery (which is the biggest of them all) this year, hopefully by the fall, I would peacefully go to college as a freshman. Now since being 5 years old I wanted to become a doctor- specifically a surgeon. I've received awards based on my high school academic performance that is health field related. Neurosurgery & orthopedic surgery are my favorite field of study! I really want to know if there is an age limit to becoming a surgeon, if it's too late to think about going into medicine????? Anyone here can give me a 2nd opinion or advice if I should stick to my long term goal???

-thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There is no age limit most med schools actually like non trads.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Your course of training, should you follow through, would be anywhere between 9-12+ years. Age matters at a certain point. I'd say you're not at that point OP. And probably won't be for a little while.

Members don't see this ad :)
nah, especially since the demands of the admissions process are probably prematurely aging the hell out of a lot of us.

If you can finish college in 6 years or less you should be fine. Most non-traditional students go straight to college and then do something followed by an application to medical school but I had one stellar candidate who served in the military, then went to a military academy, served as a military officer and then applied (quite successfully) to med school at ~32 years old.
A young grandmother (in her 40s) graduated from Yale a few years ago. She made a slow climb from hair dresser to nurses' aide to nurse, to med school & on to residency.

You may face discrimination from some programs when applying for residency, but for the most part it shouldn't be a problem.

If you can finish college in 6 years or less you should be fine. Most non-traditional students go straight to college and then do something followed by an application to medical school but I had one stellar candidate who served in the military, then went to a military academy, served as a military officer and then applied (quite successfully) to med school at ~32 years old.
A young grandmother (in her 40s) graduated from Yale a few years ago. She made a slow climb from hair dresser to nurses' aide to nurse, to med school & on to residency.

So she never became an attending? ;)

The age limit is only what you make it to be. As long as you are comfortable and cognizant of the years you will have study before completing you're goal, then definitely go for it.