Is there any chance for me as a Canadian applicant to US schools with an average GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roschella

Reaction score
I'm a Canadian citizen with a 3.5 cGPA and roughly a 3.6 sGPA. Will take the DAT at the end of July (this is why I didn't do a WAMC post instead) but I've been consistently scoring 21-22 AA on DAT Booster recently.

I'm just wondering if there's any chance for me to get accepted to an American dental school with this average GPA and a (hopefully) decent DAT. I plan to apply broadly to all Canadian-friendly schools, including NYU. I guess I've just been looking at my friends with 3.9+ GPAs applying to schools and have been feeling discouraged lately about my possibility of becoming a dentist....

Members don't see this ad.

Gpa is okay, do well on the dat and update us here and we can give you a better idea. Applying to Canadian friendly schools will be best
Thanks for letting me know - that's honestly very reassuring. I'll just have to focus on the DAT and do my best then, thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually it’ll be schools that boarder Canada that’ll give you the best odds of admission:

Minnesota, UDM, Touro, NYU, Boston, Temple, Tufts, MWU-IL, Case Western, UPitt, UPenn, Buffalo are some schools to be on your radar

For southern US: USC, ASDOH, MWU-AZ, Nova

Class of 2026 for NYU had 45 Canadian students.

You will have to apply broadly bc being international student means US schools don’t hold as many seats available, so you’re competing for less spots. A good DAT score will help you, so strive to get the highest score possible.

Also make sure you can take loans out to cover cost of tuition or have the funds available before you start. As an international student you don’t qualify for US government loans which is how majority of US students pay for school. You will either need to find a US co-signer who can sign on your behalf or have a bank in your country that can give you the money. Each school has their own individual policy regarding tuition. UMN requires you to have at least half of the total amount in escrow available to the school to attend.

Reactions: 1 user
Usually it’ll be schools that boarder Canada that’ll give you the best odds of admission:

Minnesota, UDM, Touro, NYU, Boston, Temple, Tufts, MWU-IL, Case Western, UPitt, UPenn, Buffalo are some schools to be on your radar

For southern US: USC, ASDOH, MWU-AZ, Nova

Class of 2026 for NYU had 45 Canadian students.

You will have to apply broadly bc being international student means US schools don’t hold as many seats available, so you’re competing for less spots. A good DAT score will help you, so strive to get the highest score possible.

Also make sure you can take loans out to cover cost of tuition or have the funds available before you start. As an international student you don’t qualify for US government loans which is how majority of US students pay for school. You will either need to find a US co-signer who can sign on your behalf or have a bank in your country that can give you the money. Each school has their own individual policy regarding tuition. UMN requires you to have at least half of the total amount in escrow available to the school to attend.
Thanks for your school recs! I made my school list based on the Canadian friendly school list on BeMo, but it seems like it missed a few schools so I added more to my list!

Wooh, NYU admitted a good amount of Canadians last year. Their tuition is genuinely terrifying but I have pretty limited options, so I'll apply there anyways.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your school recs! I made my school list based on the Canadian friendly school list on BeMo, but it seems like it missed a few schools so I added more to my list!

Wooh, NYU admitted a good amount of Canadians last year. Their tuition is genuinely terrifying but I have pretty limited options, so I'll apply there anyways.
Hopefully you can get a scholarship. Usually pays for housing for 4 years which makes it more manageable

Hopefully you can get a scholarship. Usually pays for housing for 4 years which makes it more manageable
I hope so too...I have friends living in NY and their rent is insanely expensive, so it'd definitely be better without the burden of living costs. Thanks for all your advice so far, and good luck with UMN in the fall!

Reactions: 1 users
I hope so too...I have friends living in NY and their rent is insanely expensive, so it'd definitely be better without the burden of living costs. Thanks for all your advice so far, and good luck with UMN in the fall!
Hey.. how is your application going? As a Canadian undergrad student who wants to go to US dent I’m wondering if your GPA got you into any schools?