Is there anything I need to bring to inperson interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student306

Reaction score
Do I need to bring things like CVs, papers I have published, etc, to an in-person interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Confidence and a good attitude.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No CVs. No papers. Don't be that guy.

I personally disagree with this. I thought the same in my previous cycle so I didn't bring anything. When I walked into my first faculty interview, the interviewer asked me for my resume/CV. I said I did not bring anything with me because I thought the school already sent over my apps to him, to which he responded I should have prepared better and sent me to his office assistant to get my CV printed.

Bottom line is you'd never know what would happen. Just prepare to the best of your ability.

Reactions: 4 users
Ask the programs and the admissions staff. I have had (dental school) applicants bring hand-held sculptures to their interviews, and all that did was raise the tension among all the candidates.

Last edited:
  • Wow
to which he responded I should have prepared better and sent me to his office assistant to get my CV printed.
Massive yikes. I'm all for swallowing pride at times but this is like YouTube prank level of cringe.

Who's doing in-person interviews!
I wonder if Zoom will remain an option over the next few years. Makes things a lot easier in regards to flights, hotels, and not missing schoolwork.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally disagree with this. I thought the same in my previous cycle so I didn't bring anything. When I walked into my first faculty interview, the interviewer asked me for my resume/CV. I said I did not bring anything with me because I thought the school already sent over my apps to him, to which he responded I should have prepared better and sent me to his office assistant to get my CV printed.
If this happened at my institution I would relieve the interviewer of his duties.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Bottom line is you'd never know what would happen. Just prepare to the best of your ability.
Adding: no, you don't bring your CV unless there is a significant improvement, and if so, you hand it to the director of admissions, period. Sometimes the interview is supposed to be a closed file interview; the admissions staff should make that very clear to all participants and interviewers in advance. Sometimes we redact biasing information from the application. The interviewer only has access to the application, or as much as the admissions committee process allows interviewers to have.

Reactions: 2 users
Adding: no, you don't bring your CV unless there is a significant improvement, and if so, you hand it to the director of admissions, period. Sometimes the interview is supposed to be a closed file interview; the admissions staff should make that very clear to all participants and interviewers in advance. Sometimes we redact biasing information from the application. The interviewer only has access to the application, or as much as the admissions committee process allows interviewers to have.
This begs the question though what should someone do in that nightmare situation? Or do you think this is such a bizarre scenario that taking the L and printing the CV is on-demand worth it?

This begs the question though what should someone do in that nightmare situation? Or do you think this is such a bizarre scenario that taking the L and printing the CV is on-demand worth it?
One complains to the Admissions Dean. A second interview would then be very likely

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, the materials available to the interviewer fall under the responsibility of the admissions staff, so basically the interviewer should divert this energy towards the staff about why he/she doesn't have the application/CV. Chances are that if the faculty member doesn't have the application, he/she could be missing the evaluation form for your interview.

This interviewer is a jerk. He was the one that was unprepared, not you. Unless the school explicitly advised you to bring something, there is no reason to bring anything but yourself.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
oh wow I did not know it was not my fault haha. For all these years I always beat myself up because I thought I did something wrong and this was probably one of the reasons that contribute to my WL. Welp thanks everyone you all definitely make me feel better!!!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users