Is there anyway of studying medicine legitimately online? or at least study the first 3 years online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KozieMed

Reaction score
I am 32 years old and have always had a keen interest in medicine. I would love to study medicine but comittments and age are against me to spend multiple years in full time education so I am looking at alternative options.

One option being studying online until the point where med school is absolutely necessary, so maybe shaving 3 years off med school from studying online?

or part-time study but that would have to accommodate the country I am in (I don't live in the states I am in Cyprus)

Could anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I am 32 years old and have always had a keen interest in medicine. I would love to study medicine but comittments and age are against me to spend multiple years in full time education so I am looking at alternative options.

One option being studying online until the point where med school is absolutely necessary, so maybe shaving 3 years off med school from studying online?

or part-time study but that would have to accommodate the country I am in (I don't live in the states I am in Cyprus)

Could anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thank you
I'm afraid none of the avenues you describe will be considered preparation for a medical career in the US.

Reactions: 2 users
For my school, when COVID hit last year, a lot of lectures turned virtual, but you still had to come for anatomy labs to dissect the cadaver and take your practicals. Or still had to do in-person labs for ultrasound and other diagnostic tools.

Even during your pre-clinical years, there are things you simply cannot learn unless you get your hands dirty. Not to mention, I haven’t heard of a medical school that’s fully virtual, and please enlighten me if there is.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not to mention, I haven’t heard of a medical school that’s fully virtual, and please enlighten me if there is.
There have been some in the Caribbean (probably still are). They lose their ability to certify their students for the USMLE when it is discovered.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
At the moment, online school isn't adequate to care for patients.

...Unless you are an NP, in which case it's fine? :unsure:
I dunno, I'd better defer this conversation to the experts

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users