Is there anywhere I can find a list of SMPs to apply for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatwhy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to do some kind of a formal program. I've retaken some classes and done great in them and want to move on to the next level, but dont think I'm ready for med school yet. Can anyone recommend which schools to apply for? Is there like a list or something? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Try using the AAMC's search: https://services.aamc.org/postbac/
Select "graduate" rather than "undergraduate" if you're specifically looking for master's level programs.

Disclaimer: I don't know how complete their list is, or if they do any kind of vetting of programs before they include them.

Also, I might be reading too much into what you wrote, but you mentioned possibly not being ready for med school and I just want to make sure you're aware that many SMPs have you taking classes with med students, so it's just as challenging (which is the whole point of enrolling in a program that shows med schools you can handle the curriculum). Don't treat an SMP as a trial run or a way of easing into med school, because if you do less than fantastic (no more than a couple Bs, if that), it will hurt more than help your chances--you'll have serious difficulty getting into medical school with a record of poor or even mediocre performance in an SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Postbac Forum here has information, but some of it was outdates. Dr. Midlife and others did a lot of work there; but they no longer have time for it. So, yes, re: Misfit's suggestion to go AAMC search. But also check out the PB forum--scroll down main forum page closer to bottom. Again, some information there is outdates, but you can go to the various school's websites to find out about programs. You can also do a search for in-state SMPs or regional SMPs. Just name the area and Special Masters, etc in the search engine.

Thanks guys! I do think I'm ready for an SMP. I mean, if not I dont know what else to do. I've been volunteering and shadowing and retook a few classes to boost my grades. This is a long, annoying road...