Is there less research in psych compared to other specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyspy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
At least this is what I see at my mid tier home institution. The people putting out research in high impact psych journals all seem affiliated with top programs

Whereas at my home program other specialties (particularly those within IM) put out many different types of clinical research

Members don't see this ad.

In addition, are there really only 21 programs with a research track?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is "is a top psych program (or a mid-top program like UColorado or Utah) pretty much an unspoken requirement for a meaningful research focus in one's psych career?"

I think there's in general more $ for research in psych than in other specialties, as psych is funded by multiple NIH institutes. However, you would be right in thinking that the dollars are more "mal-distributed". Beyond the top/mid-top programs very little research happens. Also, a lot of psychiatry-related research is done by basic scientists.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think there's in general more $ for research in psych than in other specialties, as psych is funded by multiple NIH institutes. However, you would be right in thinking that the dollars are more "mal-distributed". Beyond the top/mid-top programs very little research happens. Also, a lot of psychiatry-related research is done by basic scientists.
Yep over the past few days, that's precisely what I've seen just by looking at journal citations lol

You do NOT need a research track in psych. That might be why there are so few. A program can easily just let you do research your fourth year without developing some convoluted separate match.

Reactions: 1 user
If one is interested in transitioning to Drug Development or Medical Affairs in the pharmaceutical industry (with end-goal being C-suite), would it make sense to pursue clinical research during residency to get experience w/ clinical trials?

Is an academic research career an unspoken requirement? I don't see how one could transition from an employed inpatient psych job or private practice to pharma, but my experience is limited.

If one is interested in transitioning to Drug Development or Medical Affairs in the pharmaceutical industry (with end-goal being C-suite), would it make sense to pursue clinical research during residency to get experience w/ clinical trials?

Yes. This would add a lot when you interview for jobs.

End-goal of C-suite at large public companies is very hard, as promotional pathways become more political later on. However, it's less difficult to be C-suite at a smaller company/startup, which is actually a much more unstable job that people taken when they become financially independent and you can exit from VP/executive medical director level (which is typically more stable and pays more).

Is an academic research career an unspoken requirement? I don't see how one could transition from an employed inpatient psych job or private practice to pharma, but my experience is limited.

No. You do not need a full-fledged academic career (i.e. K award, etc) to transition, though if you did, you might start at a higher level. Either do clinical research at residency level or do a research fellowship is more than enough. During training start making some connections and talk to recruiters. These jobs are not very plentiful, but they exist and can be obtained for applicants with the right credentials.

Typically if you don't have a lot of clinical development experience you'd be hired in at the associate medical director level, and will receive training in the first year or two and salary/lifestyle there isn't super fabulous. Once that happens it's a lot easier to find a new job at the medical director, and subsequent senior medical director level. At that point salary growth is much faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I’d say there is likely more research in mental health than other fields, but it depends on what you designate as psychiatry vs psychological vs counseling research. Psychiatrists perform research that is not medicine based or focused.

Psychedelics are seeing a lot of research right now.

Mental health is also more likely to integrate with other fields. An academic center in TX pumps out plenty of mental health publications that are utilizing more ob/gyn faculty than psych.

Yes. This would add a lot when you interview for jobs.

End-goal of C-suite at large public companies is very hard, as promotional pathways become more political later on. However, it's less difficult to be C-suite at a smaller company/startup, which is actually a much more unstable job that people taken when they become financially independent and you can exit from VP/executive medical director level (which is typically more stable and pays more).

No. You do not need a full-fledged academic career (i.e. K award, etc) to transition, though if you did, you might start at a higher level. Either do clinical research at residency level or do a research fellowship is more than enough. During training start making some connections and talk to recruiters. These jobs are not very plentiful, but they exist and can be obtained for applicants with the right credentials.

Typically if you don't have a lot of clinical development experience you'd be hired in at the associate medical director level, and will receive training in the first year or two and salary/lifestyle there isn't super fabulous. Once that happens it's a lot easier to find a new job at the medical director, and subsequent senior medical director level. At that point salary growth is much faster.
Thank you for answering my question! So it'd be feasible then to run clinical trials throughout residency + fellowship, work as a regular attending in a non-academic setting for a few years, then make the transition to pharma if one decides. Or just go full on cash pay private practice. Man, psych is awesome.

Didn't consider the smaller company/startup transition either. I think that is more my speed, honestly, get some experience, have some failures so that you're ready for the big bois when the time is right. Might make it easier to get into those elite executive MBA programs too if I feel so inclined.

Thank you for answering my question! So it'd be feasible then to run clinical trials throughout residency + fellowship, work as a regular attending in a non-academic setting for a few years, then make the transition to pharma if one decides. Or just go full on cash pay private practice. Man, psych is awesome.

Didn't consider the smaller company/startup transition either. I think that is more my speed, honestly, get some experience, have some failures so that you're ready for the big bois when the time is right. Might make it easier to get into those elite executive MBA programs too if I feel so inclined.

If you want to go into industry it's recommended to go ASAP. The reasoning is that entry-level industry jobs typically pay less than [private] attending salary, especially a few years in. Academia is a different story.

My N of psychiatrists that go into pharma is not high, but all make less than an academic psychiatrist position in my area. The common theme is they decided they didn’t like seeing patients any longer. They enjoy the job, but it doesn’t pay well.

My N of psychiatrists that go into pharma is not high, but all make less than an academic psychiatrist position in my area. The common theme is they decided they didn’t like seeing patients any longer. They enjoy the job, but it doesn’t pay well.

Yup. It *can* pay well later on IF you continuously get promoted or move around, which is not a guaranteed thing at all. But a rank-and-file pharma job pays between 250 and 300, which is now below the market for a PP psychiatrist.

It's also highly debatable about the ceiling. Is it harder/easier to make 1M+ in clinical practice vs. being high level pharma executive? Unclear. Now if you want to make 10-20M+ in a single exit it's obviously not possible as a clinician and maybe you can do it as a C-level if you grow and IPO a small company by luckily pushing something through the FDA. But to me it's actually probably easier if you make 600k doing clinical work, save 300k for 20 years.

Interesting. Seems like a psych research career is more trouble than its worth, in terms of coming out financially ahead of PP

Interesting. Seems like a psych research career is more trouble than its worth, in terms of coming out financially ahead of PP
I don't have any hard data on this, but I feel that generalization would be true of all specialties.

Orthopods in private practice with partial ownership of an ambulatory surgery center where they operate probably make an absurd amount of money, but orthopods doing research on new surgeries or devices probably make a modest amount.

Neurosurgeons taking call at multiple hospitals and operating all day probably make way more than those in research designing new products.

Pain medicine implanting devices and ablating nerves probably make way, way more than the ones designing the devices.

Family medicine in clinical practice probably make way more than the ones who invented the notion of patient-centered medical homes.

PM&R rounding on multiple nursing homes probably makes way more than PM&R researching new drugs, devices, and therapies.

Reactions: 1 users